• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another campus related shooting.

Felix

News outlets are now saying the suspect also died from gunshot wounds, Grape. So that makes it three dead.

At least it wasn't a campus shooting. Reportedly involved an "assault" rifle whatever the definition of that is in media parlance.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
Confirmed 3 dead, Constable, Civilian, and the shooter. One woman still in serious condition in the hospital. One other officer shot in the leg. A few other victims with unknown injuries in unknown condition (hasn't been reported anywhere that I've seen).
The constable was serving an eviction notice when the shooter opened fire.
Since we still can't carry on campus around here, I have chosen to stay home rather than attend the Vigil that is currently being held on campus.
Check out www.kbtx.com for the local news report.
Just 'for the record'... This was NOT a 'campus' shooting as it was originally being reported. This same tragedy happens all over the country without getting this type of coverage all the time. Please don't get me wrong, I am in no way trying to downplay the seriousness of this tragedy especially since this happened in my town! I simply am trying my best to convey the FACTS as they are.
Praying for the victims and their families.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Confirmed 3 dead, Constable, Civilian, and the shooter. One woman still in serious condition in the hospital. One other officer shot in the leg. A few other victims with unknown injuries in unknown condition (hasn't been reported anywhere that I've seen).

The constable was serving an eviction notice when the shooter opened fire.
Since we still can't carry on campus around here, I have chosen to stay home rather than attend the Vigil that is currently being held on campus.

Check out www.kbtx.com for the local news report.
Just 'for the record'... This was NOT a 'campus' shooting as it was originally being reported. This same tragedy happens all over the country without getting this type of coverage all the time. Please don't get me wrong, I am in no way trying to downplay the seriousness of this tragedy especially since this happened in my town! I simply am trying my best to convey the FACTS as they are.

Praying for the victims and their families.

Case of shooting the messenger of unwanted news - always a bad thing.

Don't know what original report to which you refer, but was first reported here as "near" the campus. I find that coverage is very intense in any/all multiple shootings. Locally people often react with "there but for the grace of G*d go I" - brings it home and it becomes decidedly personal.

Jack House

Well then, Perry, stop talkin about it and start pushing for campus and constitutional carry.

nonameisgood

The other man shot was reported to be the landlord evicting the shooter. Tax records show he owned several houses in the area, but I have not confirmed that this was his house. We should avoid saying that he was a bystander or other uninvolved party. The victims were not random or accidental. The killer was obviously disturbed, having been through a divorce and other tribulations recently. Again showing the need to get help for people in crisis.

Although we don't have details, we may find that being harsh and uncaring isn't always the best solution, even for people who don't pay their rent.

MatieA

The other man shot was reported to be the landlord evicting the shooter. Tax records show he owned several houses in the area, but I have not confirmed that this was his house. We should avoid saying that he was a bystander or other uninvolved party. The victims were not random or accidental. The killer was obviously disturbed, having been through a divorce and other tribulations recently. Again showing the need to get help for people in crisis.

Although we don't have details, we may find that being harsh and uncaring isn't always the best solution, even for people who don't pay their rent.

Because forcing people get treatment because a 3rd party believes they need it is so not like forcing people to pay for health insurance that they don't want. I don't believe the government HAS (or is supposed to have) the authority to make us get treatment for ANYTHING. Next we will have government mandated mental health screening complete with a cabinet full of medications to calm us down because we are a danger to society. And a tax (and/or incarceration in a psych facility) for failure to take the medication.

nonameisgood

I think my point was that if a landlord think there will be a problem with an eviction, having law enforcement visit them for a forced eviction may not be the best way to handle it. It is all landlords have in many places, but maybe there is a better way to handle these things.

A friend of mine is a well regarded officer who personally knew Constable Bachmann, and he respected him as a fair and friendly officer. No matter how well it was handled, the situation was by nature adversarial and anything would likely have been better than this outcome.