• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cop Shoots Man dead After Running Down the man's Daughter

CaptainHoneySmacks

I am absolutely on the side of the cop. I can tell you from experince (two motorcycle wrecks, and a steel plate in my arm) that you do not have to wreck going fast. I've required surgery for a 30 mph wreck. So, unless you can produce evidence that the office was speeding, then I believe he wasn't. I will stick it out to say that it is the child's fault. So many times have I almost hit children in my apartment complex on their bicycles or scooters because they just suddenly turn out in front of my car. In fact, the only times I have complained to their parents about it - the parents were offended and pretty much told me to **** off. Don't let your child play where cars go. Simple enough. Control your damn child. I've came close to wrecking soo many times on my bike because of a child jumping out in front of me. It seems people are driven so hard because to claim it is the riders fault simply because he is LEO. As for the hit and run comment, obviously you have never been in a motorcycle wreck. I have a hard time finding the truth in the father being a "nice man who was never angry", considering he brought a friend to beat the man rather than rushing to care for his daughter. If a man was to push my daughter off of a swing, I would check to make sure she was ok before moving to him.

HolyOrangeJuice

Officer did what he had to do just like any of us would have done. Who cares if he said he was a cop before he shot or not. He was being beat up. Also maybe the stupid father should have taught his daughter that cars are dangerous and can kill people. I knew at a young age that I didn't want to be anywhere near a street because i could get hit. Nothing is more scary than hitting a kid or almost hitting one. I have had several close encounters where a kid just jumps out in front of your car and you stop so close they could touch your grill....parents need to watch their kids and if they cant watch them at all times teach them about the dangers of the area they live in.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I think the shooter should be charged with what ever charge they give to any other shmuck for carrying a weapon in chicago.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Think that no honest person should be charged for carrying a gun in Chicago. That is the goal is it not?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Think that no honest person should be charged for carrying a gun in Chicago. That is the goal is it not?

Yes definitely.
But I feel the resentment of an off duty cop being able to carry for SD when the people cannot.

Understand the resentment, but that is hardly a good reason to punish the individual.

WalkingWolf

Agreed, but the officer should not be punished if he was justified, just because Illinois has carpy gun laws. I think there is no doubt the people of Illinois are getting the shaft, it is a shame, but it is a liberal state unfortunately. Probably the only way things will change is with a SCOTUS ruling for them.

Freedom1Man

If the story is correct then I applaud the officer for taking the slide rather than thinning the gene pool.

Glad I don't have children. Mine would have gotten a spanking for running into traffic. I would have helped the biker out as best as I could. Some times getting the bike off of a biker's body is the best first response. Getting a bike back upright is a second step. Falling down and sliding is bad enough. The spilled gasoline from the tank would not make things any better.

OC for ME

So, the FOP, who were not there that night, says that the cop said he was a cop but there are witness accounts to the contrary......uh yeah right. Another case of "the cop's word is golden" and the witness(s) are all lying.

Move along now, move along.....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So, the FOP, who were not there that night, says that the cop said he was a cop but there are witness accounts to the contrary......uh yeah right. Another case of "the cop's word is golden" and the witness(s) are all lying.

Move along now, move along.....

Why is it even a point of contention whether the officer identified himself or not? This has no bearing on whether there may have been a need for self-defense nor at what level.

twoskinsonemanns

Why is it even a point of contention whether the officer identified himself or not? This has no bearing on whether there may have been a need for self-defense nor at what level.

The point may not be important, except it shows he is lying, or the witnesses are lying. Someone is lying.

Yard Sale

What was his blood alcohol level? How much alcohol did he consume at the restaurant prior to the collision? Are there any witnesses willing to testify about his drinking, or were they all members of his gang?

MamabearCali

Ok, I don't care if he was a cop or Mary Kay rep. He was being attacked.

I am a mom of four, my name online is mamaBEAR! So you know how I feel about my relationship to my kiddies. If my kid darted out into the road and was hit by a person on a bike my first thought would not be to attack the person, but rather to render aid to my child and then to the man. Quite honestly I would
be terrified that I would be charged with child neglect as it seems every incident and accident that happens with a child seems to put the parents in danger of this. Sorry he died, but he made a really stupid decision.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What was his blood alcohol level? How much alcohol did he consume at the restaurant prior to the collision? Are there any witnesses willing to testify about his drinking, or were they all members of his [strike]gang[/strike] peer group?

Fixed it for you. Don't be so quick to condemn and introduce prejudice.

Do you have any specific reference to drinking, drug use or his not liking children that can be used to imply things not in evidence?

If someone had a drink, do they give up the right to self-defense? I detest witch hunts and prefer to see how the facts lead to a conclusion.

Last edited: