• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New To Colorado; Education Needed

Keens

Thanks James!

Keens, the class will get you your endorsement. Just go to the DMV and get your ID updated. My insurance gave me a discount for the MSF course too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Guys! I'm going to check it out today.

metronumic

Howdy Zach,

I'd like to find a course that is affordable as I can't afford most of the classes that I've seen going for $200-300. How much do the Abate courses go for? I only plan to ride the bike around the country where I live and up to the mountains to do some trail riding and shooting. I've been thinking of making a frame mounted holster to carry my shotgun on.

Keens; I'd highly recommend the MSF course. My girlfriend took it over a weekend and went from never ridden, to a very proficient rider in two days.

Also, regarding the shotgun holster; There are repro M1 Garand Scabbards available (ebay, etc) that work very well for a variety of firearms. The photo below is one mounted on a Ural; Though you could mount one just about anywhere you want on another bike.

P1040630.jpg

Also, the MOLLE shotgun scabbard from Voodoo Tactical should work for just about anything you need:
http://www.voodootactical.net/p-34-molle-shotgun-scabbard-fits-18-inch-remington-870.aspx

Personally I don't ride with a rifle. I figure if my 10mm Glock can't handle whatever comes out of the underbrush, I need to be riding/running away fast. About 4 months ago I had an "Oh ****" moment when rounding the corner of a backcountry byway, I surprised two Grizzly bears. My dog started barking and my hand went to my hip, just as they started scrambling up a hill to get away from me.

If it had gone the other way, I'd probably would have had about 4-5 seconds to draw and shoot. Probably not enough time to draw a shotgun/rifle, chamber a round and shoot.

saiga12boy

Welcome!

Welcome to Colorado. The gun laws here are worse than Montana but better than a lot of states. In Colorado you can't carry concealed in a backpack,purse,or luggage without a permit as you can in Montana. Also Denver has a complete ban on open carry in the city. No city in Montana has that law. Also in unicorporated areas in Colorado you can't carry concealed without a permit. Where in Montana you could.
I hope these answers may be of help to you.

P.S. nice bike

Last edited: