• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan basics...

Phil McCracken

I'm not sure what that has to do with transporting loaded pistols.

It says that only loaded pistols can be transported. Didn't you read it?

(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a sailboat or a motor vehicle, aircraft, motorboat, or any other vehicle propelled by mechanical means, a firearm, other than a pistol, which is loaded.

That means that only loaded pistols can be transported.

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

You cannot transport a loaded handgun in any motor vehicle unless:
1. You have a Concealed Pistol License.
2. Someone in the vehicle has a Concealed Pistol License and they are ok with taking temporary posession of your pistol.

Last edited:

Phil McCracken

2. Someone in the vehicle has a Concealed Pistol License and they are ok with taking temporary posession of your pistol.

Explain why not to Xanasey.

Xanaseyr

Maybe, assuming that transportation doesn't imply carry.
It seemed from your response that you might have been suggesting that 750.227c would prohibit transportation of a loaded pistol.

I actually read that bit as "a firearm which is not a pistol and is loaded," rather than "a firearm which is not a loaded pistol."

This is what I generally pass along, as that's what MCL is commonly accepted as providing.

I'm not suggesting that anyone transport a loaded handgun without a CPL, although I don't think a plain-English reading prohibits doing so as long as transportation doesn't imply carry.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

That means that only loaded pistols can be transported.

No it does not, it is only pointing out that pistols are subject to other laws. This was debated over 6 years ago on OCDO. There is plenty of case law of people being convicted for carrying ANY loaded firearm in a vehicle, and for a loaded pistol if you don't have a CPL.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
No it does not, it is only pointing out that pistols are subject to other laws. This was debated over 6 years ago on OCDO. There is plenty of case law of people being convicted for carrying ANY loaded firearm in a vehicle, and for a loaded pistol if you don't have a CPL.

Thanks Venator. It wasn't "debated" as much as "pointed out". But, you are correct.

Phil McCracken

My statement simply says that the statute specifies that only loaded pistols can be transported. Where did you see anymore than that. Do you have some sort of special glasses that can see words that are invisible to normal people?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
My statement simply says that the statute specifies that only loaded pistols can be transported. Where did you see anymore than that. Do you have some sort of special glasses that can see words that are invisible to normal people?

Ah yes. Just wanted to clarify as some may assume it is lawful to transport a loaded pistol without a CPL. We wouldn't want to confuse anyone, as I'm sure your goal is to educate in as precise a manner as possible.

Phil McCracken

Ah yes. Just wanted to clarify as some may assume it is lawful to transport a loaded pistol without a CPL. We wouldn't want to confuse anyone, as I'm sure your goal is to educate in as precise a manner as possible.

Your subsequent reply challenged the accuracy of post that was made precisely as delineated in the statute as it related to transportation specifically of loaded pistols only.

Last edited: