Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My very first MWAG call....HAHA

My very first MWAG call....HAHA

I had my first MWAG call today. I dropped off a friend so he could talk to HR for a car dealership so he could start work. I was in my car waiting for him to get done doing what he needed to and had to use the restroom. I left my vehicle and went inside (OC of course) and after leaving the restroom, I was walking towards the exit and a guy at a desk said "hello, how are you?" I said "hey there, doing pretty good" and proceeded to walk outside and back into my car. As I'm sitting in it, about 10 minutes go by and a cruiser pulls into the parking lot and parks behind me. The cop gets out and asks me if I'm carrying, and I say "yes ma'am". She asks me what I'm carrying and stuff like that and told me she got a call about a man with a gun. She apologized for the inconvenience and said she thought it was dumb to have to come out for a guy that was open carrying and asked for my ID. I then made a smart-alec remark towards the people that called (I said "because we all know bad guys like to OC".) She laughed and agreed with me and then I gave my ID to her since she was nice about it and asked me what I had after she came back. I told her what it was and asked me what I was waiting on. I told her I was waiting on a friend and she said ok, told me to have a nice day and left.

Did you give her your phone number?

Sounds like she knows the law and is very pro-2A! I still haven't experienced a MWAG call yet and I hope it goes as well as yours!

Blessings,

Keens

Y u get better mwag than me? ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Not fair at all.
    Last edited by Wolfstanus; 08-13-2012 at 10:52 PM.

Sounds like it went well BUT

WhY would you excersize your 2a rights and give up your others, The LEO had no right to ask for your ID and to give it to them you gave up another Constitutional right.

Just wonderin

CH
    Last edited by cch10000; 08-13-2012 at 11:03 PM.

BTW Cops never ask questions because they are being freindly they ask to get info covertly. She might have seemd freindly but she was fishin, surprised she didn't ask to run your firearm,,,,,, best advice NEVER TALK TO A LEO.

Very good video on Y-Tube about this a very good watch if you haven't or even if you have watch it again.

CH

Quote Originally Posted by cch10000 View Post
    BTW Cops never ask questions because they are being freindly they ask to get info covertly. She might have seemd freindly but she was fishin, surprised she didn't ask to run your firearm,,,,,, best advice NEVER TALK TO A LEO.
    Wiles, I tells ya! Wiles! Some might say uncanny ability to make a man sweaty and/or compliant!

Question is whether it will effect your friend's application if they saw what car he got into.

WhY would you excersize your 2a rights and give up your others, The LEO had no right to ask for your ID and to give it to them you gave up another Constitutional right.

Just wonderin

CH

Very good video on Y-Tube about this a very good watch if you haven't or even if you have watch it again.

CH

What have I got to hide? Besides, I've always been the suspicious type when asking for something and not getting it because it was my job to check up on things to make sure everything is on the up and up.....but that's just me (Coming from military experience). Being suspicious of every cop can't be healthy.
    Last edited by Torquemaster69; 08-13-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Being suspicious of every LEO is a very healthy option, they aren't there to see how you are they are there to see if they can take you to jail and nothing else.

Watch the Never talk to a Leo video he(a Lawyer) gives some great examples of why not and it isn't what you have to hide its what they can make out of what you tell them,, satements That can and will be used against you

Glad it worked out well but be careful

CH
    Last edited by cch10000; 08-13-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Torquemaster69 View Post
    ...As I'm sitting in it, about 10 minutes go by and a cruiser pulls into the parking lot and parks behind me. The cop gets out and asks me if I'm carrying, and I say "yes ma'am"...
    There is a detail being ommitted here that I am curious about.

Did the oficer turn on the overhead lights when parked behind you?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    There is a detail being ommitted here that I am curious about.

Did the oficer turn on the overhead lights when parked behind you?
    did not turn on lights, but did park behind me

did not turn on lights, but did park behind me
    Running your plates before making contact?

Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    Running your plates before making contact?
    pretty much....because of the type of vehicle I have and what I have in the back of it (Dodge Nitro R/T with four 15 inch subwoofers), I've always had cops run plates on me more than even when I had my Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by Keens View Post
    Did you give her your phone number?

Sounds like she knows the law and is very pro-2A! I still haven't experienced a MWAG call yet and I hope it goes as well as yours!
    Keens
    Howdy Keens!
    What was that we got at McDonalds recently? They sure looked like cops to me!
    I bet they still wonder how brazen I was to simply dismiss them and walk away!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

here is a link to the video mentioned a few times in this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

Just wonderin

CH
    annnnd why did you say you were carrying when clearly she had no idea because you were sitting in your car... cool MWAG call but srsly- just because she was nice, doesn't mean u should have given ur ID. unless she was a dime. then i would have done anything she asked. lol jk. but srsly.

What have I got to hide? Besides, I've always been the suspicious type when asking for something and not getting it because it was my job to check up on things to make sure everything is on the up and up.....but that's just me (Coming from military experience). Being suspicious of every cop can't be healthy.
    ummm...you don't exercise a right because you "have something to hide". you exercise a right because it IS your right. aye aye aye

Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    Howdy Keens!
    What was that we got at McDonalds recently? They sure looked like cops to me!
    I bet they still wonder how brazen I was to simply dismiss them and walk away!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    burnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

All I see is a bunch of paranoia talking to be honest. She KNEW I was carrying. The people inside obviously described me and the vehicle I was in (I don't exactly have a non-descript vehicle) since it was almost right at the front door and before she drove into the parking lot, I did notice a few employees coming outside and looking at me and another friend that was riding with me (Total of 3, one inside talking with HR and the other with me). She was seeing if I was going to lie about it. AGAIN, from my experience in the military, it was perfectly normal questions and I had nothing to hide. But I guess that was obvious to me. What could she POSSIBLY do with my ID to arrest me with no previous record. OH WAIT...she doesn't know who I am and why I am there and for all she knows, I am a felon. And what happened once she found nothing? 5 minutes later she left vs arguing and 30 minutes later still arguing. Yeah, you don't HAVE to show ID....but I CHOSE to to get her out of my hair faster

Tourq

If you watched the video and don't see that you gave up your 4rth and 5th rights I can't say any more cept glad it came out good for ya

I support the 2A which gives me the freedom to exercize the rest of them without fear.

Rights not ................

G'Day

ch

The rules for producing ID are a little different when you are sitting behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.

If the request was not for an ID but for a drivers license would it be different?

But being private property and the officer did not witness the operation of the vehicle I suppose my question would not apply in this case. As for RAS we never know what the complaint may have conveyed to the police.

Quote Originally Posted by lockman View Post
    The rules for producing ID are a little different when you are sitting behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.

If the request was not for an ID but for a drivers license would it be different?

But being private property and the officer did not witness the operation of the vehicle I suppose my question would not apply in this case. As for RAS we never know what the complaint may have conveyed to the police.
    Not sure about his state, but I know that in NC, sitting in the driver's seat in a "public vehicular area", which this parking lot would more than likely qualify, the officer would have been legally within her rights to request (and get) your driver's license.

I have to side with the OP on this one...she did not request that he exit the vehicle, show the firearm, or produce anything more than had he been on the street in the car. As the saying goes, "not sure that the juice is worth the squeeze" resisting the ID request on this one, especially since he was giving his buddy a ride for a job.

Now, if you want to make as issue about a private individual being "required" to have a license in the first place for the right to travel upon the highways in a non-commercial manner....that is another discussion!
    Last edited by carolina guy; 08-14-2012 at 10:00 AM.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Another officer's habit of doing what they always do reenforced.

Good that it worked out for you. Good luck and carry on.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Torque - IMHO you handled it fine. Good MWAG experience.

I think it is important for us who OC to have thought through how we will handle such events. In my mind there is not much reason to be paranoid and snippy about it. Friendly is where I choose to start. That said we need to know the laws and our rights. But that doesn't mean we have to get nasty and demand them at every chance. We have minds to be rational about it. There may be times where our rights are being un-rationally challenged and those are not the proper time to cower but rather stand up. There are times and there are seasons. Rationally pick them - they are not all battle cries!

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    He did fine. This is the world we live in people are scared to death of cops. This is the way that want it.

He got intimidated by the lady cop and complied voluntarily to every request she made. Could happen to anyone.

Also even in a vehicle a cop has to have a REASON to detain you and seize your ID. Unless you roll onto your back and volunteer it I guess.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by wmodavis View Post
    Torque - IMHO you handled it fine. Good MWAG experience.
    Howdy Pard!
    Being with me on your first OC outing, and having the cops called on a MWAG deal, you already know that I was not asked for I.D., nor were you.
    The cops were friendly and nice, and never asked for identification.

But did you also notice that the one officer did a mild attempt at fishing?

"You look familiar to me." That was an attempt to get me to identify myself.
    "Well, you likely have seen me metal detecing in that park right over there. I believe you may have been the officer who sat there one night in his squad car while I searched the place with my machine."

That pretty much ended his fishing expedition.

Another favorite phrase I use is "Yeah, I get that all the time. Evidently, I have a whole lot of twin brothers I never knew about growing up!"

Chortle, chortle, smile and nod. End of discussion.

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast