• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My very first MWAG call....HAHA

OC for ME

Look.....I'm pro 2a.....but I'm starting to see the "fanaticism" of some of the members here. I don't make an ass of myself and to assume that "I would have and answered questions and produced ID for any non-LEO out there to make them go away fast" is just plain retarded, I'm sorry....but that was just stupid:banghead: And "Complied to every request made"? she had only ONE request...."can I see your ID?" Really?...is it really that hard to hand over a piece of plastic so they can check to see if you have any warrants and 2 minutes later, being on your way? Have a good day all....you may or may not see me on here after some of the posts on this thread anymore
I applaud your calm approach to that situation. Yet, I wonder if you can take a different approach, if a different approach is required, the next time. If there is a next time.

As I stated earlier, you reenforced that LEO's habit of "requesting" ID where a requirement by the citizen to provide ID may not lawfully exist. You also reenforced that LEOs habit of "running" a law abiding citizen for warrants where no lawful authority to do so existed.

mobiushky

One of the things that absolutely stunned me about the "Don't talk to the police" video was when the lawyer says "anything you say can be used AGAINST you, but nothing you say can be used FOR you." Think about that for a sec.

Remember the police have a legal right to lie to you during the course of an investigation. They can say whatever they want. "This won't be recorded." "This isn't going in a report." "I'm on your side here." Etc, etc.

Last edited:

Motofixxer

One of the things that absolutely stunned me about the "Don't talk to the police" video was when the lawyer says "anything you say can be used AGAINST you, but nothing you say can be used FOR you." Think about that for a sec.

I agree, but I always say WILL BE used against you.

I also read a post recently that kinda summed it all up. There is only one single reason officers want your ID, and that is to build a case against you.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

It really is very slippery slope. I was talking to a dear friend about this the other day and get the impression that MOST people out there believe a cop can walk up to anyone on the street for no reason and demand ID and detain indefinitely without cause.
The great educator (TV) shows authority figures demanding ID, or even access to people's homes all the time. "We just need to look around." "We just need to ask you a few questions". "We can do this here or down town".

How long before there are random house searches. After all if you've got nothing to hide there shouldn't be a problem.
Our rights are slowly but very surely being stripped away. We can't volunteer to give away the ones we still have.

Torquemaster69

It really is very slippery slope. I was talking to a dear friend about this the other day and get the impression that MOST people out there believe a cop can walk up to anyone on the street for no reason and demand ID and detain indefinitely without cause.
The great educator (TV) shows authority figures demanding ID, or even access to people's homes all the time. "We just need to look around." "We just need to ask you a few questions". "We can do this here or down town".

How long before there are random house searches. After all if you've got nothing to hide there shouldn't be a problem.
Our rights are slowly but very surely being stripped away. We can't volunteer to give away the ones we still have.

But this instance wasn't a case of "The officer was randomly driving directly behind me and saw my pistol through my car door" scenario. This wasn't a "No reason" situation. They HAVE to come out and investigate on a gun call...whether the person reporting it is correct in their assumption or not. Everyone yells about their rights being violated but when something doesn't happen because they didn't want to infringe on a person's rights, then they start yelling about "Why didn't they come out?":banghead: Also, "build a case" against me? On what grounds? So they can look at their records and go "OH LOOK!!!...THIS GUY BROKE NO LAWS MULTIPLE TIMES!!"

Random house searches?....really? That is so far fetched, it isn't even funny.

Last edited:

xpingjockey

I agree that on the face of it, if you're not really paying attention, this does seem far-fetched. All you have to do though, is go back through the last 100 years and look at countries that have gone bad, and you'll see that that is exactly what it comes down to. That, coupled with the way things have been going in our country certainly IMO gives valid reason to think this way. I'll be perfectly honest, it's one of the reasons I've held out for getting a CHP. I don't want to be on some bureaucrat's list. (Technically, I don't want to be on any MORE lists than I'm certain I already am.) That's where it starts. Collecting data on your population, especially those that have a means to resist, so that when the time comes, they know who has 'em.

Am I paranoid? I don't think so. I like to think I'm a realist. It's happened before, and will likely happen again. Betcha no one ever thought the PD would do what they did in Aurora either.

You don't chop down a tree with one hack.

Last edited:

mohawk001

Is it really? After all, you've got nothing to hide......right?

Ironically, I used that same example with someone last week while I was TDY to Ft Riley. I was at a VFW talking to a fellow vet about some of the local gun laws when the bartender had to break in with how people should expect to get stopped and questioned if they carry and it shouldn't bother them if they have nothing to hide. I asked him what he would tell a cop if they knocked on his door and said they wanted to search his house because there was a robbery two doors down. He quickly and loudly claimed he would tell them to come back with a warrent. I asked him why he would make them do that unless he was the one who had robbed the other house since he shouldn't have anything to hide otherwise. His arguements went downhill after that and started making less and less sense.

But back to your nothing to hide...sorry, but that to me is the weakest thing to say. Now if you want to be nice because you feel the cop is being nice, then that is your choice. But you have to remember that it can actually lead up to more things if you are willing to give things up just because you have nothing to hide. We have enough problems already with the government taking eroding our rights without us just giving them up freely though.

What would you have done if she had asked to search you for example? Or perhaps your vehicle? You had nothing to hide after all. Seriously, at what point would you have said that enough was enough? And once you give up a right, might that make it harder for you to stop them from taking more at that time?

Fallschirjmäger

But this instance wasn't a case of "The officer was randomly driving directly behind me and saw my pistol through my car door" scenario. This wasn't a "No reason" situation. They HAVE to come out and investigate on a gun call...whether the person reporting it is correct in their assumption or not.
They HAVE to come out? Really? Why? As long as the possession and carry of a firearm is legal in that state how is a legal firearm any different than a legal cellphone, boombox, or red shirt?
What code in ANY state mandates a police response, absent any suspicion of criminal intent?

Everyone yells about their rights being violated but when something doesn't happen because they didn't want to infringe on a person's rights, then they start yelling about "Why didn't they come out?":banghead:
So, guy with a legal firearm gets pulled to the side, is checked, goes on his way.
Guess what the legal ramifications are if the cops see a guy with a gallon can of gasoline walking along the road, give him a ride, and he sets a fire that makes the Happy Land Social Club fire where almost 90 people died look like a wet match.
None. Not only did the fictional cops let it happen they unknowingly abetted the crime. Legally, they're safe as houses.

Also, "build a case" against me? On what grounds? So they can look at their records and go "OH LOOK!!!...THIS GUY BROKE NO LAWS MULTIPLE TIMES!!"
Why do you Think Officer Friendly wants to check your ID? It isn't that close to Christmas, so it can't be for Xmas cards.

F350

But this instance wasn't a case of "The officer was randomly driving directly behind me and saw my pistol through my car door" scenario. This wasn't a "No reason" situation. They HAVE to come out and investigate on a gun call...whether the person reporting it is correct in their assumption or not. Everyone yells about their rights being violated but when something doesn't happen because they didn't want to infringe on a person's rights, then they start yelling about "Why didn't they come out?":banghead: Also, "build a case" against me? On what grounds? So they can look at their records and go "OH LOOK!!!...THIS GUY BROKE NO LAWS MULTIPLE TIMES!!"

I'm in a hurry so you can do your own GOOGLE...... Even if you call 911 and say "3 guys just broke into my house, killed my son and are raping my wife right now"! The police DO NOT have to respond!!!! There are several SCOTUS rulings on this.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The cop was definitely fishing.

The smartest, and potentially most dangerous cops, know full well that they can get more information with honey than vinegar. Its been quite a while, but some of us can still remember the video or audio (FOIA release I think, maybe from one of Danbus's detentions) where the cops were oh-so nice to him, but back at the car one of the cops said, "There has got to be something we can get him for."

The key point is that you may not know the cop is a bad cop until it is too late.

The true test of a cop is not whether he is polite. The true test is how he reacts to a polite, verbal, lawful refusal. Whether consent to a search or for an identity document. Too many people equate pleasantness on the part of the cop with professionalism. Yes, politeness is part of professionalism; but professionalism includes respect for rights.

I think things turned out fine. It would have been a tough situation in any event. If identity was politely refused, the cop still had the option of reporting the property owner, who could have categorized the OCer as a trespasser and asked the cop to tell him to move along. Also, the friend was inside, perhaps starting a new job. It wouldn't help the friend's employment to become embroiled in an outwardly adversarial encounter with the cop.

The next time I am in such a situation, I think I'll plan to just wait in the car and hold it. I say this because the obvious first possible solution was to tell the greeter that everything was fine, I just popped into the men's room while waiting for my friend who was over in HR. However, that now connects the friend to the gun guy, which may or may not be a good thing.

Torquemaster69

Be that as it may......Since I have posted this thread of a POSITIVE LEO encounter, 90% of what I have gotten gotten was negativity, made fun of and basically called stupid without it actually being said. This leads me to believe that this place supports a negative outlook on cops and the jobs they do. I bid you people farewell on your conspiracy theorist ideas and will continue my 2a on my own. I may or may not be back

Bellum_Intus

In defense of LEO's for a minute..

Remember this.. too many of my friends almost never get the chance to take off the mourning bands on their badges..
It's a tough job..

In this case, what if the OP was a crazed lunatic and the LEO didn't respond to the callers 911 to PD.. and he ended up shooting up the place?
It's a fine line on both sides folks.. thin blue line?

All LEO's are not bad, and not all of them act like the CSPD did (that was REALLY ******* me off) on the video at the park..

As far as the OP's choice to provide the LEO his DL, well.. that was his choice, I'm not sure flaming him is productive..

Anywhoo.. my 2 cents..

--Rob

M-Taliesin

Howdy Friends!
I can understand both perspectives. In so doing, I'd like to stick up for Troquie here.
Ya'll should remember that he's a fairly new hand at open carrying and as such, less likely to be prepared for that first time LEO encounter.
He was in a vehicle, though not driving, he was behind the wheel. It may have been required for him to provide I.D., I dunno for sure.

And I can understand not talking to cops. Just because I do it real frequently like, doesn't mean it is something everybody ought to do.
Especially if you haven't grown some working base of knowledge to deal with them appropriately.
My perspective is one built on being able to quote specific CRS, settled cases (Terry v. Ohio, St. John v. Alamagordo, etc) and I can stand toe to toe with most of them.
That didn't come overnight, but after a heap of study on this forum and reading dry, sexless rulings in various cases affecting 2a rights.

Okay, so I just positioned myself squarely in the middle between the two sides of the thing.

Point I think is important, isn't whether Torq did the right thing in giving up his I.D., but that everything panned out okay in the long run.
It ain't much use to be right, especially if you're dead right!

One tactic I've learned to use is the very simple three letter word they hate to hear: WHY?

When asked for something like an I.D., I'll now ask WHY.
This puts them to answering questions instead of me. It may not seem significant, but they want to control the coversation, and get all unhinged when the tables get turned on them. If they give some sort of answer, the next step is "Please explain to me your basis for a Terry stop. What is your RAS? What can you articulate as to any crime I have committed, am committing or about to commit?" That's another one that puts them back on their heels. "You do realize that the act of carrying a firearm openly is legal in Colorado, right?" Puts them further behind the 8-ball. Then there is the most excellent one I enjoy to no end: "According to St. John v. Alamagordo, the mere fact that I carry a handgun for my own lawful protection does not provide you, with all due respect officer, any RAS to further detain me."

But one of my absolute favorites is to quote Article 2, section 13 of the Colorado Constitution:
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons."

Notice, if you will, the part I put in bold letters: That right is not to be called into question.
"Ergo, noble officer of the law, why are you questioning me now? Where is your RAS?"

In much the same way as I have now been avoided by folks selling religion door to door because I can debate the snot out of them, so it is with cops. They want to do a quickie sneak and peak but I cause them to be stuck there for much longer than they like. And get little or nothing in the bargain! Just as with door to door religious types try to break away because I'm pounding hard on their logic circuits, so too do officers dislike being bogged down in a losing battle of wits. This is doubly true if the officer is unarmed in the battle.

Meanwhile, let's go easy on Torquie... he's a good chap and just needs to find his own way of coping with situations like this the best he can.
I do not fault him, nor do I fault others who have a different perspective. I just want to offer a third way of coping, which is passive-aggressive noncompliance.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

They want to do a quickie sneak and peak but I cause them to be stuck there for much longer than they like. And get little or nothing in the bargain! Just as with door to door religious types try to break away because I'm pounding hard on their logic circuits,

They don't come to my door anymore. :'( Word must have gotten around.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Be that as it may......Since I have posted this thread of a POSITIVE LEO encounter, 90% of what I have gotten gotten was negativity, made fun of and basically called stupid without it actually being said. This leads me to believe that this place supports a negative outlook on cops and the jobs they do. I bid you people farewell on your conspiracy theorist ideas and will continue my 2a on my own. I may or may not be back

Now look what y'all conspiracy theorists have done. You've hurt his feelings. Meanies. Stop writing uncomfortable things on the internet.

metronumic

She asks me what I'm carrying and stuff like that and told me she got a call about a man with a gun. She apologized for the inconvenience and said she thought it was dumb to have to come out for a guy that was open carrying and asked for my ID. I then made a smart-alec remark towards the people that called (I said "because we all know bad guys like to OC".) She laughed and agreed with me and then I gave my ID to her since she was nice about it and asked me what I had after she came back.

I'm another member piling on with the original poster; Well handled good sir, especially for your first MWAG call. Thanks for sharing your experience, and for the friendly manner in which you dealt with the police.

I don't understand why everyone is piling on about the OP providing his ID. The cop asked him for it, and he made HIS choice. Just because a large majority here don't feel that you should provide your ID to a cop, doesn't mean its the wrong choice.