• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rampage shooters; number killed before stopped by LEOs / Civilians

Lord Sega

Interesting Blogger article. Not hard core scientific, but not bad for web research.

I like that his Facebook / blogger friends reacted to his original numbers
... with great enthusiasm and much skepticism. Leave it to Facebook users to demand an audit on a meme. So, I started over, only much more meticulous this time.

Same as here, no talking out your a$$.
So he shows his work & references and details his logic in sorting out the data sets:

The average number of people killed in mass shootings when stopped by police is 14.3

The average number of people killed in a mass shooting when stopped by a civilian is 2.3

LINK

Also:
If you compare the average of people killed in shootings stopped by armed civilians and unarmed civilians you get 1.8 and 2.6

Interesting...

To me this just confirms, being on the scene makes you the first responder, armed or unarmed.
So be alert, be prepared, be safe out there.

Last edited:

Maine Expat

“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." - Tolkien

Faramir iirc.

Good article, thanks for the links. More ammo to confuse the antis.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The courthouse shooting in Tyler, Texas was the only incident where the heroic civilian was killed.

That's out of 15 incidents ... so 1 out of 15 times the person who was a hero was a dead hero...so use caution folks, before you are the dead hero

Jack House

The courthouse shooting in Tyler, Texas was the only incident where the heroic civilian was killed.

That's out of 15 incidents ... so 1 out of 15 times the person who was a hero was a dead hero...so use caution folks, before you are the dead hero
The incidents discussed, right? Cause the hero at the Sikh shooting died.