• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Judiciary Committee to Vote on Repeal of Permit to Purchase

cmdr_iceman71

How much time do you think our legislators will give the police to destroy all the records of registered handguns?

Assuming it passess, when would this law go into effect so that LEOs could no longer pretend to justify a stop of an OCer just to ask him if his pistol is registered?

detroit_fan

Who from MOC said that MOC is not supporting HB5225? NOBODY!

The president of MOC, that's who. Maybe you should do some research and learn the facts before you go around posting in caps with exclamation points. MOC has publicly stated that they are "neutral" on the bill, therefore they are not supporting it or putting any effort in to helping it pass.

Last edited:

WilDChilD

Didn't mean to start stuff, just figured if he was stonewalling 59 might do the same with 5225. No need to rehash this just go to the original thread.

Phil McCracken

The president of MOC, that's who. Maybe you should do some research and learn the facts before you go around posting in caps with exclamation points. MOC has publicly stated that they are "neutral" on the bill, therefore they are not supporting it or putting any effort in to helping it pass.
Maybe you should learn some reading comprehension. The president of MOC DID NOT say that they don't support the bill. The president of MOC DID say that they would not make a public statement regarding the bill.

There's a big difference in what was said by the President of MOC and the twisted meaning that YOU want it to mean.

Try slowly reading, without skipping any words, what autosurgeon told you. There is specific meaning in his words.

No that is not what neutral means... it simply means we will not speak for or against it.

Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

Maybe you should learn some reading comprehension. The president of MOC DID NOT say that they don't support the bill. The president of MOC DID say that they would not make a public statement regarding the bill.

There's a big difference in what was said by the President of MOC and the twisted meaning that YOU want it to mean.

Try slowly reading, without skipping any words, what autosurgeon told you. There is specific meaning in his words.

Dictionary said:
neu·tral
   [noo-truhl, nyoo-] Show IPA
adjective
not taking part or giving assistance in a dispute or war between others: a neutral nation during World War II.
not aligned with or supporting any side or position in a controversy: The arbitrator was absolutely neutral.

There are enough words here to quell this dispute without me adding my own. However I feel I should add that there is a difference between supporting the bill, and publicly supporting the bill.

Last edited:

Yooper

How much time do you think our legislators will give the police to destroy all the records of registered handguns?

Assuming it passess, when would this law go into effect so that LEOs could no longer pretend to justify a stop of an OCer just to ask him if his pistol is registered?

If I remember correctly, it's 6 months. I could be wrong though, it might be less than that, but I do know for sure that it's less than 1 year.

fozzy71

So is it out of committee?

Copied from MGO - http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1711288&postcount=197

Copy paste from the committee minutes (thanks to Praetorian55 on arfcom)

Senator Jones placed before the committee House Bills 5225, 5498 & 5499 (Reps. Opsommer, LeBlanc & Franz). Senator Jones announced that there was a substitute to House Bill 5499.

The following persons submitted cards, but did not testify, on House Bills 5225, 5498 & 5499: • Mary Lovik, representing the Michigan Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Prevention and Treatment Board—Oppose • Kathy Hagiman, representing the Michigan Coalition to End Domestic and Sexual Violence—Oppose • Chris Hawkins, representing the Michigan State Police—Oppose • Isabelle Terry, citizen—Support

Senator Jones moved that House Bill 5225 be reported out of committee with the recommendation that the bill then pass. The motion prevailed by an affirmative vote of a majority of the members appointed to and serving on the committee, voting as follows: Yeas: Senators Jones, Schuitmaker, Rocca (3/4) Nays: Senator Bieda (1) Pass: none (0) Absent: none (0)

Senator Jones moved the committee recommend immediate effect. Without objection, the committee further recommended that House Bill 5225 be given immediate effect by unanimous consent.

Senator Jones moved that House Bill 5498 be reported out of committee with the recommendation that the bill then pass. The motion prevailed by an affirmative vote of a majority of the members appointed to and serving on the committee, voting as follows: Yeas: Senators Jones, Schuitmaker, Rocca, Bieda (4/4) Nays: none (0) Pass: none (0) Absent: none (0)

Senator Jones moved the committee recommend immediate effect. Without objection, the committee further recommended that House Bill 5498 be given immediate effect by unanimous consent.

Senator Jones moved to adopt the S-1 Substitute to House Bill 5499. The motion prevailed by an affirmative vote of a majority of the members appointed to and serving on the committee, voting as follows: Yeas: Senators Jones, Schuitmaker, Rocca, Bieda (4/4) Nays: none (0) Pass: none (0) Absent: none (0)

Senator Jones moved that House Bill 5499 S-1 be reported out of committee with the recommendation that the bill then pass. The motion prevailed by an affirmative vote of a majority of the members appointed to and serving on the committee, voting as follows: Yeas: Senators Jones, Schuitmaker, Rocca, Bieda (4/4) Nays: none (0) Pass: none (0) Absent: none (0)

Senator Jones moved the committee recommend immediate effect. Without objection, the committee further recommended that House Bill 5499 S-1 be given immediate effect by unanimous consent.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
That means that they have a sweeping majority, and that they don't have to wait as they normally would until the first of the year or something for the law to take effect because of the sweeping majority of yes votes.

... if and when the bill passes into law. The bill is leaving the committee with that recommendation.

*I know YOU know this. Yesterday a gun store employee told Raggs and I that the PFZs had been eliminated so perhaps we need to make assumed common knowledge clear to people who read this.

griffin

a gun store employee told Raggs and I that the PFZs had been eliminated
smilielol5.gif
Sometimes OCDO is better than the Comedy Channel.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
smilielol5.gif
Sometimes OCDO is better than the Comedy Channel.

I'll be nice because I told him to check this website out... just kidding. Although I thought it "interesting" too, I do understand that very few people, even "gun people", spend as much time as we do here discussing firearms-related events and law. Also, he just moved here, so... if he's reading this...we mean no harm. But if he comes here and retains even 50% of what we discuss, I'm sure he will be miles ahead of other gun sellers; maybe even get a promotion. We actually walked in just as a customer and he were finishing a discussion regarding open carry, so after Raggs and I had a very brief rundown regarding the law, he expressed his appreciation for us walking in when we did. It was sort of a "mini-OC" seminar. Very nice young man, btw, and seemed genuinely interested in at least checking out this website.

BTW, anyone that has some extra tri-folds and is willing to drop them off at the store, PM me and I will tell you which store it was. Regrettably, I didn't take any with me that day and live a bit of a distance from the place. If no one has any or just prefers not to, I will be going through town next week and will drop some off. BTW, the place isn't too far from downtown GR.

Last edited:

griffin

BTW, anyone that has some extra tri-folds and is willing to drop them off at the store, PM me and I will tell you which store it was.

Have you read this thread? This is page 2. I haven't figured out how to select a single post yet.

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,1939.20.html

I have over 100 MSP #86 updates and over 100 New MOC Tri-folds to give out. I also have probably 15 old MOC Tri-folds left. Come to the MOC picnic in Jackson tomorrow and I'll give you all you want. Take them all, I'll make more. And yes, these are in full color.