• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Judiciary Committee to Vote on Repeal of Permit to Purchase

sonofagun

This Wednesday, August 15, the Michigan Senate Judiciary Committee will vote on legislation to repeal Michigan’s “permit-to-purchase” and registration requirements for handguns. House Bill 5225, which seeks to replace the state handgun “permit-to-purchase” requirement with the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), already passed in the state House of Representatives by an overwhelming 74 to 36 vote (found on page 14 of the House Journal) on June 13. Additionally, the Senate Judiciary Committee will hear the two companion bills to HB 5225, House Bill 5498 and House Bill 5499, both of which also passed in the state House and were sent to the Senate last month.

Full article and links to email the committee!

stainless1911

Banned
I suspect they will pass this, and that will be their grand accomplishment for the term. So much for working within the system. How many lifetimes will it take at this rate to get the rest of our rights back?

Last edited:

sonofagun

I hope everyone doesn't sit around, fingers crossed, hoping it passes! I sent my emails. Email, fax, call, let your friends know. Lets make sure this passes out of committee!

Ezerharden

Sent my emails too. Oh and Stainless, it will take as long as it takes. Sorry it won't happen over night.

Ezerharden

Sure it will, he wants bloody revolt *eye roll*

Not going to comment there, already been dressed down for that in another thread.

OT I just hope that if it passes the Judiciary Committee that our Famous Sen. Richardville doesn't let it languish too.

WilDChilD

Not going to comment there, already been dressed down for that in another thread.

OT I just hope that if it passes the Judiciary Committee that our Famous Sen. Richardville doesn't let it languish too.

Might be a gathering for SB59 and HB5225?

Speaking of "The Gathering" what size are our signs suppose to be?

Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

Stainless Bashers said:
*Stainless Bashing*

And here we go again. Can we please for the love of gunpowder stay on topic for once?

OT:
This could be pretty cool... does this bill repeal all registration, or just get rid of permit to purchase and insert a new way to register? This will affect people's "grandfathered" Michigan Pistols if it removes registration. Not saying that's make-or-break, just a comment.

Last edited:

sonofagun

Positive reply from Sen Rick Jones

Just received this positive reply from Sen Rick Jones

Thank you for contacting my office with your concerns regarding HB 5225, 5498, and 5499; legislation that would amend current handgun purchase requirements. Based on initial research, personal experience, and information from constituents I currently find this legislation very appealing. The current process Michigan residents are required to go through is lengthy and can be expensive for residents who simply wish to enjoy their 2nd Amendment rights as guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

I look forward to hearing testimony and further discussing this legislation with my colleagues in the Senate. HB 5225, 5498, and 5499 offers a means of easing restrictions against law-abiding gun owners and a way for our state to prevent the waste of taxpayer dollars.

Thank you again for emailing my office.

Sincerely,

Rick Jones

detroit_fan

No that is not what neutral means... it simply means we will not speak for or against it.

i never said they were opposing it, i said they were not supporting it. neutral means they are not supporting it, so i don't see how the SB59 rally could be for & HB5225 if MOC will not support HB5225

Last edited:

Phil McCracken

i never said they were opposing it, i said they were not supporting it. neutral means they are not supporting it, so i don't see how the SB59 rally could be for & HB5225 if MOC will not support HB5225
Who from MOC said that MOC is not supporting HB5225? NOBODY!

Last edited:

Yooper

OT:
This could be pretty cool... does this bill repeal all registration, or just get rid of permit to purchase and insert a new way to register? This will affect people's "grandfathered" Michigan Pistols if it removes registration. Not saying that's make-or-break, just a comment.

Long legislation short... It gets rid of the PTP and Registration. All copies of registration held by L.E. (except if being held for evidence in a case) must be destroyed. Handguns would then be able to be bought, sold, traded, borrowed, loaned, etc just like rifles and shotguns are now