• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can a public library post No Weapon signs?

brian0918

I live just south of Cuyahoga falls down in canton. I'd be more then willing to come up and open carry as a group if we get something going.

Gary - I like the sound of that. Any others in the NE Ohio area interested in a library meetup?

Last edited:

JSlack7851

I did some research into my town's library. Seems only half of their funding comes from the State, the rest from private donations.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There are 7 types of public libraries in Ohio. 19 Ohio public libraries are "Association" type and are governed by articles of incorporation.

http://www.library.ohio.gov/Marketing/Libraries/LibraryLaw

Only a limited number (19) of the Ohio libraries are "associations" not all. It appears that the OP's library in question, Cuyahoga Falls Library, does fall under that category though.

Within that link you will find a list disclosing how each library is categorized - see attachment at the bottom:
http://www.library.ohio.gov/sites/default/files/SLpublibtypes.pdf

An "Association" library is not clearly dealt with in Chapter 3375 of the ORC, but information is found in Section 1713.28 "Organic rules may be prescribed in articles of certain corporations" of the ORC.
http://billsbig1.tripod.com/ohliblaws.htm

Note that the original descriptive/defining term for an Association Library was Social or Subscription Library (membership supported) - these later in the 1930s became eligible for public/tax based funds, though their status was still not made clear as to whether they are public or private for purposes of rule making.

In that Cuyahoga Falls Library falls within this category, it is probably not a good test location for RKBA until their rule making authority is clarified.

All of this is just my personal conclusion based upon my interpretation of the above information. IANAL.

Chris 45LC

I would think that any association type library could put up a "no gun" sign as a corporation that is separate from the State of Ohio...If they are separate from the state :confused:. Most are county district type libraries. This would take a team of lawyers to figure out. Might be better to contact representatives and get a bill started that would clarify this issue once and for all. Both my mother and sister-in-law retired from libraries, I will see if I can get more information from them that would help. Both of them have ccw but could not carry into the libraries where they worked.

Chris 45LC

I contacted Representative Danny Bupp in regard to "No Gun" signs at libraries. I will post an update if I get any new information.

Because most libraries are governed by the counties, preemption law may apply at some types of libraries. Library employees are state, Ohio PERS.