Thread: "pre-incident" attorneys

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar

"pre-incident" attorneys

I think that most would agree that we gun owners/OC'ers/CC'ers are treated pretty darn good here in the Blugrass state. When you read other state forums you read a lot about folks who are not treated quite as good as we are. Sure, we in KY have the occasional run in with dumb ass Johnny Law..But when we do for the most part we hold our ground and the situation ends with us going on about our business.

But what if you found yourself in a jail cell charged with some BS charge for OC'ing??? Or even worse, what if one of us found ourselves in George Zimmerman style shooting? Most of say "I would sue them". Thats fine and dandy..but what attorney would you use? Do you have one in mind or would you be flipping through the yellow pages from jail searching for one while the guy behind you breaths down your neck waiting to use the phone to call his baby mama??

The good news is that most KY attorneys are probably out of practice on how to defend these types of situations because they don't happen that often. The bad news is that they are out of practice. You need an attorney to fight your divorce, child custody case, etc, you are probably in luck because those types of cases are common. But how hard would it be to find an attorney that can really help us?

We all just recently read the anti-gun letter sent to a local news paper from an "attorney". Imagine if you didn't know where that guy stood and you hired that SOB only to be rail roaded in court because he didn't believe in your rights..Bottom line is who would you call???
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

{redacted} I don't know if my attorney practices in Kentucky; but if he does, I can highly recommend John R. Monroe.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 08-14-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Having been in criminal cases for over 30 years I have seen a lot of attorneys in action. I carry the card of one that I respect and trust in Ashland.

Anyone interested can PM me.

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOverlay View Post
    Having been in criminal cases for over 30 years I have seen a lot of attorneys in action. I carry the card of one that I respect and trust in Ashland.

Anyone interested can PM me.
    Curtis or Mussetter? Both are excellent.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

a very simple answer for me...David Russell Marshall,Nicholasville,KY..

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Curtis or Mussetter? Both are excellent.
    David Mussetter. Great criminal defense attorney and a really nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    Why would anyone hire an attorney without knowing "where he stood"?

I've posted this several times in the past. The attorney that KC3 hired for Michael Mitchell is:

Christopher D. Hunt
    465 East High Street, Suite 103
    Lexington, KY 40507
    (859) 455-9482

I don't think you could find a better attorney for a gun case.
    A person who never took the time to research a good attorney and hired one out of haste...
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

n.

I never really thought of it but I have gotten an attorney who agreed to represent me if I ever need anything for a criminal case. Thanks for the thought.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

That moron would deserve what he got.
    That was the intent of my OP. To get the folks on here thinking about the "what if's." I read on here all the time about "I would sue, I would sue" but honestly I believe that if half of us were handed a phone and told to go for it, we would draw a blank on who to call.

n.

The Ky. Bar Association. What you have described would be malpractice and could lead to his being disbarred.
    LOL, Gutshot, you are the one who shared the story with us. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...l-Ky-Newspaper Should we/could we have called the Ky. Bar Association when we first read this? And just for my benefit will you explain how this could lead to malpractice?

n.

Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    And just for my benefit will you explain how this could lead to malpractice?
    If the lawyer were to take on a shooting case as a defender, and it could be proved that the lawyer's personal views affected the way he defended the shooter, ie. to make sure he would be found guilty, didn't defend to the best of his abilities, then the lawyer could be guilty of malpractice and could be disbarred.

Quote Originally Posted by flb_78 View Post
    If the lawyer were to take on a shooting case as a defender, and it could be proved that the lawyer's personal views affected the way he defended the shooter, ie. to make sure he would be found guilty, didn't defend to the best of his abilities, then the lawyer could be guilty of malpractice and could be disbarred.
    Oh, if that happened??? But not for simply making the comment within itself???

n.

Lawyers are allowed to have personal opinions, just like anybody else.
    Thats what confused me when you made mention of malpractice. But I understand what you mean now.

n.

Your post said the lawyer allowed/helped him get "railroaded" because he didn't believe in your rights. Here it is:

We all just recently read the anti-gun letter sent to a local news paper from an "attorney". Imagine if you didn't know where that guy stood and you hired that SOB only to be rail roaded in court because he didn't believe in your rights..Bottom line is who would you call???

That would be malpractice, not writing a letter to a newspaper. Keeping up with you going full speed in all different directions is a full time job.
    Makes more sense now. I didn't know that you were referring to the "railroaded" comment. I thought you were referring to the anti-gun letter itself. My apologies for my misunderstanding.
    Last edited by self preservation; 08-15-2012 at 11:18 PM.

n.

"Keeping up with you going full speed in all different directions is a full time job."

But you do a good job at it

n.

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOverlay View Post
    David Mussetter. Great criminal defense attorney and a really nice guy.
    I could not agree more. He is a great guy, and his office staff is very friendly and will help any way they can.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.