• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"pre-incident" attorneys

self preservation

I think that most would agree that we gun owners/OC'ers/CC'ers are treated pretty darn good here in the Blugrass state. When you read other state forums you read a lot about folks who are not treated quite as good as we are. Sure, we in KY have the occasional run in with dumb ass Johnny Law..But when we do for the most part we hold our ground and the situation ends with us going on about our business.

But what if you found yourself in a jail cell charged with some BS charge for OC'ing??? Or even worse, what if one of us found ourselves in George Zimmerman style shooting? Most of say "I would sue them". Thats fine and dandy..but what attorney would you use? Do you have one in mind or would you be flipping through the yellow pages from jail searching for one while the guy behind you breaths down your neck waiting to use the phone to call his baby mama??

The good news is that most KY attorneys are probably out of practice on how to defend these types of situations because they don't happen that often. The bad news is that they are out of practice. You need an attorney to fight your divorce, child custody case, etc, you are probably in luck because those types of cases are common. But how hard would it be to find an attorney that can really help us?

We all just recently read the anti-gun letter sent to a local news paper from an "attorney". Imagine if you didn't know where that guy stood and you hired that SOB only to be rail roaded in court because he didn't believe in your rights..Bottom line is who would you call???

MrOverlay

Having been in criminal cases for over 30 years I have seen a lot of attorneys in action. I carry the card of one that I respect and trust in Ashland.

Anyone interested can PM me.

self preservation

Why would anyone hire an attorney without knowing "where he stood"?

I've posted this several times in the past. The attorney that KC3 hired for Michael Mitchell is:

Christopher D. Hunt
465 East High Street, Suite 103
Lexington, KY 40507
(859) 455-9482

I don't think you could find a better attorney for a gun case.

A person who never took the time to research a good attorney and hired one out of haste...

09jisaac

I never really thought of it but I have gotten an attorney who agreed to represent me if I ever need anything for a criminal case. Thanks for the thought.

self preservation

That moron would deserve what he got.

That was the intent of my OP. To get the folks on here thinking about the "what if's." I read on here all the time about "I would sue, I would sue" but honestly I believe that if half of us were handed a phone and told to go for it, we would draw a blank on who to call.

self preservation

flb_78

And just for my benefit will you explain how this could lead to malpractice?

If the lawyer were to take on a shooting case as a defender, and it could be proved that the lawyer's personal views affected the way he defended the shooter, ie. to make sure he would be found guilty, didn't defend to the best of his abilities, then the lawyer could be guilty of malpractice and could be disbarred.

self preservation

If the lawyer were to take on a shooting case as a defender, and it could be proved that the lawyer's personal views affected the way he defended the shooter, ie. to make sure he would be found guilty, didn't defend to the best of his abilities, then the lawyer could be guilty of malpractice and could be disbarred.

Oh, if that happened??? But not for simply making the comment within itself???

self preservation

Your post said the lawyer allowed/helped him get "railroaded" because he didn't believe in your rights. Here it is:

We all just recently read the anti-gun letter sent to a local news paper from an "attorney". Imagine if you didn't know where that guy stood and you hired that SOB only to be rail roaded in court because he didn't believe in your rights..Bottom line is who would you call???

That would be malpractice, not writing a letter to a newspaper. Keeping up with you going full speed in all different directions is a full time job.

Makes more sense now. I didn't know that you were referring to the "railroaded" comment. I thought you were referring to the anti-gun letter itself. My apologies for my misunderstanding.

Last edited: