• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

German Shepherd save #1

Sharpender

So I'm OCing on my nightly walk with my German Shepherd last night about 8:00 PM. I was in University Place walking in my neighborhood and about to make a right on Grandview and head north. I see two teens in the backyard of the corner house...no fence. One of the kids starts running towards the side of the house opposite me. I wasn't worried about it because I was watching them and knew the hadn't seen me.....until the kid who remained in the backyard started screaming at the runner..."No!..Come back here!" I thought it was odd, but I didn't think it was a threat. As I rounded the corner, this would put me on the sidewalk in front of the house with my strong side facing the house, I see the runner standing in the middle of the front yard looking back at the house. He turns and looks at me, and then takes a step towards me. "****!" I think to myself. He stops about 25 feet from me and I can tell by his face that he's drunk or otherwise altered. The other kid comes running around the corner of the house yelling at the runner to stop. About the same time an older woman runs out the front door of the house yelling at the kid to stop and get in the house. Now I'm thinking there's a real problem, the reaction of the older woman and the other kid made it pretty clear. I stop. The runner looks me up and down and starts moving toward me again. I'm 6ft, 215pds, bald, with a German Shepherd and a OCd sidearm...apparently this wasn't a deterrent for the kid. George Zimmerman pops into my head. I'm thinking about drawing, quickly decide he's not a threat to my life, and pull the spray. The mother starts screaming louder for the kid to stop, he doesn't. My dog is sitting at my side watching the approaching kid. I shout to my dog "schutzhund!" He immediately jumps up barking, and lunges at the kid. As I'm holding him back on leash I yell at the kid to "back the f*ck up or I'll release the dog!" The woman and other kid are just about hysterical at this point. As soon as the kid sees the dog he turns around and starts running/staggering towards the front door. After the kid gets inside the house, I tell my dog "leicht" and he stops barking and sits next to me. The woman comes over and thanks me and tells me her son has been drinking. I say no problem and ask her if she would like to borrow my leash. She laughs, thanks me again, and walks away. I was so proud of my dog. It was his first "real world" protection encounter and he was fabulous. Having him with me, at the very least, prevented the kid from getting sprayed or knocked out, and potentially saved the kids life. In the end, it wasn't my size, spray, or firearm, it was my 7 month, 70pd, German Shepherd.

theaero

Well angry German Shepard are scary as hell. I think I'd rather have a firearm pointed at me than tangle with one of those.

+1 story though.

fire suppressor

Dogs are scary as hell a lot of people don't think the police will shoot them but everyone knows the dog will tear them apart. Juat curious what do you believe kids motive was? Do you think he was going to rob you or assault you? Do you know what they where yelling no about?

Last edited:

Sharpender

Just curious what do you believe kids motive was? Do you think he was going to rob you or assault you? Do you know what they where yelling no about?

He appeared drunk...and clearly stupid....it didn't look like there was much else going on behind his eyes. The people that were yelling were just trying to get the kid to stop approaching me and come into the house. I assume one of these people noticed the big, bald, white dude, walking a big GSD, with a big P89 on his hip. I should have shared in my OP that he was only wearing a swimsuit. I did look back over my shoulder a few times as I was walking away to make sure he wasn't following. I'm just glad the kid woke up and got his drunk ass in the house...the situation could have ended badly for all of us.

fire suppressor

Interesting encounter I am glad you gad your dog with you. The university district us a odd one you never really know what to expect

carracer

I also have a German Shepherd Dog. All white 105lbs. The only time he barks and growls is if someone rings the doorbell or knocks on the door. Even if it's on tv. Wish I could figure out a way to train him to defend on command.

PistolPackingMomma

I have extensive scarring from a German Shepherd dog. Al in all, It's a toss up as to which is worse, being shot or being mauled.

We actually used to have a member here that advocated letting a dog bite you before drawing and shooting. :uhoh:

Sharpener, sounds like you handled it perfectly. You were prepared, you were aware, and you were able to discern which tool was best for dealing with the situation at each given moment. Kudos!

oneeyeross

Well angry German Shepard are scary as hell. I think I'd rather have a firearm pointed at me than tangle with one of those.

+1 story though.

Scary doesn't even tell the story. I was sleeping in the Haupt Bahnhof in Frankfurt aM (main train station) and was woke up by a Polizei's shepherd barking inches away from my face - I guess I wasn't supposed to sleep where I was.