I didn't hear it.
The financial aftermath of a self defense shooting can cost $0, or apparently up to $250,000 (or more). Final costs probably depend variables like:
1) how clear cut the circumstances are
2) how biased and untruthful the investigating officers are
3) how biased and crooked the prosecuting attorney is
4) what the self defense shooter says to the police after the incident (i.e. exactly how he or she described their actions).
5) whether or not the self defense shooter hires and attorney immediately to apply pressure on the DA to not file any charges
I'm guessing the case Dave Ross mentioned involves a young 20 something, at a young persons house party, late at night, where drinking was involved. Genius.
Again... guns+ drinking+ late night house party+ other young ego/testosterone filled adult 'children' = FUBAR. Kind of a common story.