• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry On Pacific Northwest Vacation

MegaGorilla

On a 3 week camping vacation with the family and OCing the entire time (Ruger LC9 on some days, XDM .45 on others) Utah, Idaho, Montana and Washington, and no issues whatsoever. Sure a couple of nervous nellies whispering here and there in Seattle, but no problems so far! Going into Oregon soon.

hermannr

Read ORS 166.250, ORS 166.260, and ORS 166.173 before you go into Portland, Beverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem area. Those cities have taken full advantage of ORS 166.173.

Aslo, if you have a NV permit, remember, for purposes of OC (NOT CC)...any carry license gets you past the local restrictions, though the local police may not see it that way, that is the way .173 is written..

carracer

Not to hijack thread, but what holster do you have for the LC9?

Also not to hijack or interrupt. I have a Ruger LC9 and carry with a DeSantis in waistband holster with my shirt tucked behind instead of over. Very comfortable holster and the black accents the LC9 very well!

Hope the OP replies with his choice.

Also welcoming any and everyone to Idaho when traveling thru and would be nice to have coffee or lunch or just say hi!

Last edited:

MegaGorilla

MegaGorilla

Read ORS 166.250, ORS 166.260, and ORS 166.173 before you go into Portland, Beverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem area. Those cities have taken full advantage of ORS 166.173.

Also, if you have a NV permit, remember, for purposes of OC (NOT CC)...any carry license gets you past the local restrictions, though the local police may not see it that way, that is the way .173 is written..

Thanks for the heads up, I heard about this here on Open Carry and will have to be careful unfortunately. It's been nice not having to think about it this whole trip up until Oregon.

MegaGorilla

Aslo, if you have a NV permit, remember, for purposes of OC (NOT CC)...any carry license gets you past the local restrictions, though the local police may not see it that way, that is the way .173 is written..

No such thing as a Nevada permit for OC. There's a blue card, but that's just for the registration of your gun. Thanks again for the heads up. I'm new to this site and appreciate all the hinformation and knowledgeable opinions here.

hermannr

Just remember, for Oregon, it is a unique state in the concealed carry department. The end result may be similar to other states, but how they get there is different..such as:

If you have an OR CHL you may OC or CC with impunity...however for purposes of CC, OR does not recognize anyones permit but their own CHL.

For open carry it is different. The state law is that you may OC without any license. Then, the legislature (with pressure from Portland, kind of like Clark Co/LV in NV) allowed for the local governmental entity to restrict unlicensed loaded OC, except for those that have any license to conceal but are in fact open carrying. Then in ORS 166.250 they even defined what OC was.

Good luck in OR, it is a beautiful state, but please read their law.

Last edited:

MegaGorilla

A Nevada concealed carry permit will exempt you from the local ordinances in Oregon. And there is no Nevada blue card for gun registration - that is a Clark County only requirement.

Yes, thanks for clarifying. Since I dont have a CCW yet, it wouldnt help me. And I stand corrected on the blue card, you are right!

MegaGorilla

An update on the trip, we are now on the beautiful Oregon coast, back OCing after having to not open carry while in Portland and some of the surrounding towns. Not really any direct comments (one teenager at a grocery in San Juan Islands commented on "nice gun" and how he cant wait to be 21 and carry), although my fiancé tells me lots of people check out the gun and then whisper to each other. I don't notice or care really. One old timer on Utah's Antelope Island pointed and said "hey, what's this?" I told him Utah is OC. He was surprised, rubbed his chin and said "really? I could have been carrying mine this whole time?"