• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LETS GO SHOOTIN!!! sunday 8/19/12 12pm

Tanner

Had a few people talking about getting together to shoot. So I will use the popular "announce it and they will come" method.
I dont really expect anyone to show but if you do and you have a springfield XD and are willing to let me try it out let me know and ill get a box or two of ammo.

I think they open a 10am and close at 4pm. Give or take a hour. Anybody interested?

Fort Lee by the way!

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Had a few people talking about getting together to shoot. So I will use the popular "announce it and they will come" method.
I dont really expect anyone to show but if you do and you have a springfield XD and are willing to let me try it out let me know and ill get a box or two of ammo.

I think they open a 10am and close at 4pm. Give or take a hour. Anybody interested?

Fort Lee by the way!

Have you seen the new regulations, as referenced in the 8/14/11 VA-ALERT?

2. Fort Lee has new policies on private weapons

Roy Scherer emailed me this:

From progress-index.com: http://tinyurl.com/8b38zan

Fort Lee has new policies on private weapons, headphones and crosswalks
from staff reports
July 31, 2012

FORT LEE - Three new Fort Lee policy letters were published this week. They outline the installation requirements for registering and reporting privately owned weapons, use of crosswalks and not walking or jogging with headphones.

- Policy 08-12 is directed to all military and family members residing on Fort Lee as well as any individual coming onto the installation with a privately owned weapon. Concealed firearms are prohibited, the policy states.

Gun owners moving into government quarters on post must register their weapons with the Vehicle and Weapons Registration Office within 96 hours of their arrival.Service members may store weapons at their home, if authorized, or in the arms room of their assigned unit. Troops living in the barracks or residing in transient quarters will register their weapon and store it in the arms room, in accordance with the policy.

Those residing off-post - including military, government civilians, contractors and visitors - who bring a weapon onto Fort Lee for authorized activities like hunting, target ranges or marksmanship events must register their weapons as well. Furthermore, when entering the installation, they must pass through the access control point, declare they are bringing a weapon onto post and state the purpose for doing so to ACP personnel.

When transporting weapons on post, gun-owners must have their registration documentation on hand, and they may only travel in a direct route to or from the authorized activity at which the firearm is to be used
or stored.
[emphasis added]

I'm willing to bet that the Vehicle and Weapons Registration Office is not open on weekends.:(

I guess I will be calling them in the morning to get the details of what "registering" entails and then deciding if a drive down is warranted or not. At the moment I am not thrilled about the prospect of hauling my arsenal down there to let them copy serial numbers on everything I have, just in case I wanted to bring something on the spur of the moment.

Is my tinfoil hat on too tight?

stay safe.

Tanner

[emphasis added]

I'm willing to bet that the Vehicle and Weapons Registration Office is not open on weekends.:(

I guess I will be calling them in the morning to get the details of what "registering" entails and then deciding if a drive down is warranted or not. At the moment I am not thrilled about the prospect of hauling my arsenal down there to let them copy serial numbers on everything I have, just in case I wanted to bring something on the spur of the moment.

Is my tinfoil hat on too tight?

stay safe.

Great Gatsby! Who would put up with that? Here is how it worked two months ago.

Front gate open and on one was posted there.
Drove to the range and went up to the room to sign in.
A guy named Norman checked my guns and sent me on my way. ( He did not write down but did look to see that my serial number was there)

I see that the article was published on july 31 2012 and I have been there since it was published so they dont seem to enforce this regulation.
Maby ill jog with headphones on to.:monkey

What other ranges are open to the public within a hour of richmond?

Bowesmobile

I might be able to open up my property for a group shoot. It's not a registered range, but I know you wont pay an absorbent fee for entering and I promise not to make you buy my ammo to shoot with, lol!

Tanner

I might be able to open up my property for a group shoot. It's not a registered range, but I know you wont pay an absorbent fee for entering and I promise not to make you buy my ammo to shoot with, lol!

That would be cool. But what if I want to buy your ammo? After all that is my favorite thing about Dominion! (joke)
Where might you abode be located?

Bowesmobile

That would be cool. But what if I want to buy your ammo? After all that is my favorite thing about Dominion! (joke)
Where might you abode be located?

I'm in Powhatan. If you want to buy my ammo you better make sure you have a gun big enough to handle it! lol! I dont have anything less than .45 acp. I'm going to run it by my better half. We have the parking and my range is in a valley that is wooded around the open area.

Tanner

I'm in Powhatan. If you want to buy my ammo you better make sure you have a gun big enough to handle it! lol! I dont have anything less than .45 acp. I'm going to run it by my better half. We have the parking and my range is in a valley that is wooded around the open area.

Well all I have is a 45 1911. Well I dont consider my 22 a gun as much as a toy but it still goes boom.
Keep us posted on weather you can do it or not. Until then ill still plan to go to Ft Lee. Besides Skidmark is the only one who has shown any intrest so far. But its still a new post and sunday is still 4 days away

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

This is why I feel so fortunate to know and associate with the folks here.

But I do have a question - "an absorbent fee" -- is that one that soaks the payer?:lol: (Oil hale speil choker)

stay safe.

Bowesmobile

This is why I feel so fortunate to know and associate with the folks here.

But I do have a question - "an absorbent fee" -- is that one that soaks the payer?:lol: (Oil hale speil choker)

stay safe.

:lol: No it pretty much soaks up all the money from the payers wallet!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Checked on that this AM. http://www.lee.army.mil/pmo/flp.weapon.registration.aspx 7:30 to 4:30 M-F except holidays.

Complete the Weapon Registration form “Fort Lee Form 694”, (one for each weapon) and have it signed by the company commander, then take the completed and signed form to the Vehicle & Weapons Registration Office. (DO NOT BRING THE WEAPONS) Data will be input into a database and a copy made of registration form. Original will be filed at the Vehicle & Weapons Registration Office. A copy of the registration will be furnished to owner. A copy must stay with weapon.
Changes of ownership of privately owned firearms will be reported to the Vehicle & Weapons Registration Office within 72 hours and, if otherwise required, the weapons new owner will register the weapon in his or her name.

Since I would normally have to go on base "empty handed" the admonishment not to bring the weapon when registering makes sense. Too bad the POW Range does not allow BIG GUNS. :cry: http://www.leemwr.com/Rec/rec_odr_pow.htm

I'm thinking the Ft. Lee range has lost a patron.

stay safe.

USNA69

Thank Goodness for USMC Camp Elmore Indoor Range in Norfolk

Drive thru the gate with military ID. Exchange pleasantries with rent-a-cop.
Proceed to gun range.
Hand over ID card in return for a lane assignment.
Unpack/load/fire guns at the gun line.
Reverse the process upon departure.

Easy-Peasy.

Tanner

Okay guys. I am busy the 19th, but the 26th is a possibility if anyone is interested!

Thanks again bowesmobile for the offer. I for one would love to take you up on that. And in light of the situation over at Ft Lee I will no longer be going there either. Ill instead be going to the ripoff artists over at dominion for a little bit-O-fun. Again anyone is welcome to meet me there if they would like. Maby a get together over at Bowes place on the 26th would be a better fit since its not such short notice.

If anyone is interested Just say so and I will tally them up.

Bowes is there any kind of limit you have in mind? I know its against the whole announce it and they will come method but the situation has changed.:uhoh:

speed41ae

Have you ever been to Black Creek Range? It is an outdoor range. I am a member there and can bring 3 guests. It costs $5 a guest and I am free on Sunday to go shooting.

Tanner

Have you ever been to Black Creek Range? It is an outdoor range. I am a member there and can bring 3 guests. It costs $5 a guest and I am free on Sunday to go shooting.

OK would you like to meet somewhere I live in chesterfield and dont really know how to get to black creek. And not that it matters but have we met in person before? I have met so many people lately that I cant keep track of names in person and the handels on the forum.

speed41ae

OK would you like to meet somewhere I live in chesterfield and dont really know how to get to black creek. And not that it matters but have we met in person before? I have met so many people lately that I cant keep track of names in person and the handels on the forum.

I was sitting next to you at the 3rd street diner.