• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Springfeild xd and winchester ammo

robert1970

I was shooting my Springfeild xd in 45 acp yesterday,and I had two jams within two magazines.I was shooting winchester 230 grain jhp.I was wondering if eny one else has experienced thise with there 45 xd.

bowb

I have not yet found jhp ammo that my .45 likes. :(

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I have not yet found jhp ammo that my .45 likes. :(

It sure would help to know what brand/version your .45 is, and the same for the magazines. There is an awful lot of info out on the innarwebz that gets quite specific about which combination of gun and magazine is having troubles and what fixes work.

In the meantime, whatcha got? I'll give you $100 cash right now for that POS.:D

stay safe.

robert1970

The magazines I have are just the standard ones that came with my springfeild xd,and as far as the ammo goes it is just standard grade winchester 45 230 jhp.

bowb

It sure would help to know what brand/version your .45 is, and the same for the magazines. There is an awful lot of info out on the innarwebz that gets quite specific about which combination of gun and magazine is having troubles and what fixes work.

In the meantime, whatcha got? I'll give you $100 cash right now for that POS.:D

stay safe.

spr_xd_4_duo.jpg

I gots a bi-tone springfield xd .45 acp with a 4 inch barrel. I would like to be able to use Federal HST in it, but it does not like it. I have tried other jhp ammo and it does not like it. When I get the time I will try to figure out what is going on and might get Springfield involved. Until then I carry my xd 9 sub compact that likes Federal HST.

robert1970

A few years ago I had a ruger p89 in 9mm.no matter what ammo i used in it from my reloads to the chepest factory ammo i could find it would never jam.I thought with the quality the springfeild is it would be the same.

bowb

A few years ago I had a ruger p89 in 9mm.no matter what ammo i used in it from my reloads to the chepest factory ammo i could find it would never jam.I thought with the quality the springfeild is it would be the same.

From what I have read on the xd forums, often times a new xd .45 needs to be broken in to work well. How many rounds do you have through it? Another issue may be limp wristing it, which I have not written off, as I do not have a ton of shooting experience. When I find time and money to invest in the ammo I will try to figure my issue out.

Gunslinger

My XD/m 9 feeds everything. I carry HST +P+ 115g jhps in it. Winchester white box has never been a problem with any of my pistols, 9 or .45. I would suspect the magazines, or needing more break-in rounds through it, not the pistol. Polishing the ramp is another option. Is there a lot of copper build up on it?

Firearms Iinstuctor

It might be the gun it might be the ammo it might be the mags.

Only some more testing could tell.

I once had a brand new Browning Hipower that would not feed or shoot more then 3 rounds with would jamming.

I did every thing I could think of to make it work. Then I sent it back to Browning 2 weeks later I recived it back with a note saying repaired.

Worked great after that never did find out what its problem was.

Remember most guns work well every mandufactor can and does put out some great ones also they can and do put out some bad ones most are avg.

If your unlucky and get a bad one its a pain in the butt.

DocWalker

I have an OD Green Springfield XD 40.cal and had the issue of it jamming when it was new no matter what rounds I put through it. I had to run 300-500 rounds through it and clean it about 5 times before it got broke in. It now accepts any 40.cal ammo I put through it. Even my reloads that I make....whahhaaaa

I don't usally carry my XD for everyday carry; I usally go with my Tauras 45.cal Millenium or my Tauras 40.cal 24/7 as it shoots straighter (better grouping and smother to shoot) than my XD.

georg jetson

I've had an XD45 for about 3 years now. Not a single jam after 2000 rounds with all sorts of ammo.(I know. I don't practice enough)

Describe the jam... fail to feed, fail to eject etc...

Will.40

I was shooting my Springfeild xd in 45 acp yesterday,and I had two jams within two magazines.I was shooting winchester 230 grain jhp.I was wondering if eny one else has experienced thise with there 45 xd.

I hate Winchester ammo. Every time I shoot it it jams. Yesterday I went through two 15 round clips of Winchester in my Ruger sr40c and it jammed a total of 9 times that does not include multiple other times it has happened in the past with this ammo. I have only had one other jam in this gun and that was with Blazer ammo. My friends and I call Winchester the Wal-Mart special:)

robert1970

I've had an XD45 for about 3 years now. Not a single jam after 2000 rounds with all sorts of ammo.(I know. I don't practice enough)

Describe the jam... fail to feed, fail to eject etc...

actually it was a fail to eject.That may be the problem the gun needs to be broke in,i have put about 150 rounds through it so far.

bowb

actually it was a fail to eject.That may be the problem the gun needs to be broke in,i have put about 150 rounds through it so far.

How long have you been shooting? I know when I limp wrist it I'll have more of a chance of a failure to eject.

Tawnos

Some local friends were reporting issues with XD and XDm magazines where the spring was backwards, causing various FTF, FTE, etc failures. Might try taking your mags apart and checking they're put together correctly?