Thread: Civil Protection

Civil Protection

Hello all,

My cousin, who is a Florida Department of Corrections officer, got into a discussion with me over concealed carry. He clames(among other things) that, even though I am immune from civil suit under Mississippi State law(97-3-15) (5) (A) in a self defense situation, I can be suied in federal civil court under federal law. My questions is; even though I am immune under state law, would that apply in federal civil court? This may be a dumb question, but I want to make sure just how much I'm protected.

I'm posting this both in the Law library and the Mississippi forum.

Thanks to all,

Dave.

I'm betting he's wrong due to the fact I'm guessing there is no such federal law..........but I'm guessing so.........

Quote Originally Posted by ALOC1911 View Post
    I'm betting he's wrong due to the fact I'm guessing there is no such federal law..........but I'm guessing so.........
    I agree but, wanted to make sure. I not as well versed in federal and civil stuff as I am on state law. He's just saying that state law wouldn't mean anything in federal court. Doesn't help that he's anti carry for us "civilians". Thanks for the Reply.

Dave

[QUOTE=dave1289;1808439
    ... (among other things) that, even though I am immune from civil suit under Mississippi State law(97-3-15) (5) (A) in a self defense situation, I can be suied in federal civil court under federal law ....even though I am immune under state law ... may be a dumb question, but ...
    [/QUOTE]

That is NOT a dumb question.

As I know and understand the law (and no, I'm not an attorney) if you violate the "civil rights" of another, YES, you can be called to account in a federal court. Puzzled? It depends on how the plaintiff structures his/her complaint.

tyc