• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Civil Protection

dave1289

Hello all,

My cousin, who is a Florida Department of Corrections officer, got into a discussion with me over concealed carry. He clames(among other things) that, even though I am immune from civil suit under Mississippi State law(97-3-15) (5) (A) in a self defense situation, I can be suied in federal civil court under federal law. My questions is; even though I am immune under state law, would that apply in federal civil court? This may be a dumb question, but I want to make sure just how much I'm protected.

I'm posting this both in the Law library and the Mississippi forum.

Thanks to all,

Dave.

ALOC1911

I'm betting he's wrong due to the fact I'm guessing there is no such federal law..........but I'm guessing so.........

dave1289

I'm betting he's wrong due to the fact I'm guessing there is no such federal law..........but I'm guessing so.........

I agree but, wanted to make sure. I not as well versed in federal and civil stuff as I am on state law. He's just saying that state law wouldn't mean anything in federal court. Doesn't help that he's anti carry for us "civilians". Thanks for the Reply.

Dave

tyc

dave1289;1808439 ... (among other things) that said:
That is NOT a dumb question.

As I know and understand the law (and no, I'm not an attorney) if you violate the "civil rights" of another, YES, you can be called to account in a federal court. Puzzled? It depends on how the plaintiff structures his/her complaint.

tyc