Thread: Civil Protection

Civil Protection

Hello all,

My cousin, who is a Florida Department of Corrections officer, got into a discussion with me over concealed carry. He clames(among other things) that, even though I am immune from civil suit under Mississippi State law(97-3-15)(5)(A) in a self defense situation, I can be suied in federal civil court under federal law. My questions is; even though I am immune under state law, would that apply in federal civil court? This may be a dumb question, but I want to make sure just how much I'm protected.

I'm posting this both in the Law library and the Mississippi forum.

Thanks to all.

Dave.

What "federal law" would a person sue you under in a federal civil court? Honest question.

same here

Quote Originally Posted by 4angrybadgers View Post
    What "federal law" would a person sue you under in a federal civil court? Honest question.
    That's what I don't know. I think he is just full of it. He clames that state law would mean nothing in a federal court. He doesn't carry except when required at work and is pretty anti carry for us "civilians".

Dave

Just a guess....

Quote Originally Posted by dave1289 View Post
    That's what I don't know. I think he is just full of it. He clames that state law would mean nothing in a federal court. He doesn't carry except when required at work and is pretty anti carry for us "civilians".

Dave
    Maybe he's referring to the possibility of "hate crime" or "deprivation of civil rights" charges that can be slapped on you by the Feds?
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    Maybe he's referring to the possibility of "hate crime" or "deprivation of civil rights" charges that can be slapped on you by the Feds?
    Seems SCOTUS has ruled that The People have a civil right to life (part of that Life, Liberty and Perfuit of Happiness thing), so depriving of them of life (or making the best attempt you cold) would be depriving them of that civil right. If you were not the actual shooter but were involved in some way the feds could try for conspiracy to deprive.

IIRC the feds used this against many folks during the Civil Rights Era (1950s through 1970s) when they could not establish outright murder/attempted murder. They have also, IIRC, used it once or twice against Organized Crime members.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit