• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Civil Protection

dave1289

Hello all,

My cousin, who is a Florida Department of Corrections officer, got into a discussion with me over concealed carry. He clames(among other things) that, even though I am immune from civil suit under Mississippi State law(97-3-15)(5)(A) in a self defense situation, I can be suied in federal civil court under federal law. My questions is; even though I am immune under state law, would that apply in federal civil court? This may be a dumb question, but I want to make sure just how much I'm protected.

I'm posting this both in the Law library and the Mississippi forum.

Thanks to all.

Dave.

dave1289

same here

What "federal law" would a person sue you under in a federal civil court? Honest question.

That's what I don't know. I think he is just full of it. He clames that state law would mean nothing in a federal court. He doesn't carry except when required at work and is pretty anti carry for us "civilians".

Dave

Eeyore

Just a guess....

That's what I don't know. I think he is just full of it. He clames that state law would mean nothing in a federal court. He doesn't carry except when required at work and is pretty anti carry for us "civilians".

Dave

Maybe he's referring to the possibility of "hate crime" or "deprivation of civil rights" charges that can be slapped on you by the Feds?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Maybe he's referring to the possibility of "hate crime" or "deprivation of civil rights" charges that can be slapped on you by the Feds?

Seems SCOTUS has ruled that The People have a civil right to life (part of that Life, Liberty and Perfuit of Happiness thing), so depriving of them of life (or making the best attempt you cold) would be depriving them of that civil right. If you were not the actual shooter but were involved in some way the feds could try for conspiracy to deprive.

IIRC the feds used this against many folks during the Civil Rights Era (1950s through 1970s) when they could not establish outright murder/attempted murder. They have also, IIRC, used it once or twice against Organized Crime members.

stay safe.