• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about My upcoming Trip to Arizona

UKStormChaser

Hi everyone. I'm new here. From England, moved to Oklahoma in 09. Very pleased to own a gun as obviously in the UK it's illegal. I don't have my concealed permit yet as I haven't taken the test but plan to. My question is this. I own a S&W MP-40. Last year my trip to AZ got a bit hairy. There was a couple of incodents at the hotel my friends and I were staying at. One was a robbery/attempted kidnapping behind our room and two guys running around with guns being chased by the law (scary for a guy from quiet old England lol) and another evening two drug dealer had a shoot out. Needless to say we changed hotels after that lol. Sorry to be long winded. This year we are heading back out to Phoenix to photograph the storms again and I heard AZ is an OC state. Where do I stand on taking my gun this time? Would this be ok? Any help on this matter would be grately appreciated. Thanks.

Nevada carrier

It sounds like you stayed in a really shady area of town. This reminds me of a lesson my CCW instructor taught in his classes. The best way to avoid the need to use your gun is to avoid going to stupid places, at stupid times when people do stupid things. Just because you're armed and ready to defend yourself doesn't mean it's a good idea to go someplace where you are likely to need too.

Now, I understand that you're not familiar with some city you don't live in. You don't see their local news and have no idea what parts of town are dangerous and what parts are relatively safe. My suggestion is to make some phone calls. If you're planning to visit Phoenix, gather a list of a few hotels you would consider staying at and call the Phoenix PD and ask if any on your list are in areas with high crime. Even a forum like this, is a good place to get unbiased info. Don't trust the travel sites or the hotels themselves, they'll never tell you the truth if the truth is likely to hurt their business.

I've visited Phoenix, and called the Phoenix PD to ask if there were any prohibited locations. They said basically, if it isn't a state or federal government building, post office or university, you can carry there without breaking the law. Also, worth noting, AZ has no permit requirement for Concealed carry, so if you feel like you should cover up, you don't have to think twice about it.

I also found this http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/az/phoenix/crime/

UKStormChaser

Thanks for the info. Yeah it was a shady part of Phonix, right next to the interstate. We didn't know it was bad as we had never been to AZ before. This year we are staying somewhere nice lol. Anyways thankyou for your advice. Much appreciated.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
uk - be sure to read AZ laws before you carry openly or concealed. There are some places you Cannot carry -any muncipal building, school, police station , and without a cpl/ccw/etc... from az or a resiprocity state you cannot carry in places that sell liquor/beer and so on. I do not have the links to the laws, and am relaying info from family who live just outside of phoenix, he could be wrong, but i can count the number of times that has happened on one finger. One of these days maybe the folks from the AZ subforum can help us travellers out with a pdf guide or something?

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Last edited:

UKStormChaser

THanks. Appreciate the info. I have looked up the laws for AZ and fully aware of them. Also spoke with Phoenix PD and they gave me the rundown. The officer was very helpful.

March Hare

Welcome to the Forum and AZ!

Welcome to Arizona!

Here's some information on sidearms:

If you are:
Over 18: No permit is required to carry loaded or unloaded, openly.
Over 21: No permit is required to carry loaded or unloaded, openly or discretely.
You can carry whichever way you prefer and that is legal for your age range.

There are some exceptions;

You can't carry openly into any place that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises.
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises without a concealed carry permit. Your firearm must remain concealed, and, you can NOT consume alcohol!
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises if they have signs posted prohibiting firearms. (They don't get my money...)

Private businesses can ask you to leave, if you don't you can be charged with trespassing. (None of my money there either!)

No carrying into government buildings or onto school grounds. The 1000' GFSZ law isn't enforced in AZ.
Be careful around reservation land, they have their own rules and it can get dicey.

Of course, drinking and carrying is a bad combination, don't!

When in a vehicle, you may carry discretely if you are over 21. If stopped by a LEO, you might be asked if you have a firearm, if you are asked, you must tell them. They might take the firearm for the duration of the stop.

AzcdlFred posted this:
I highly recommend you print and read this document: Arizona Gun Owners Guide
It's the best resource you can find for Arizona's gun laws and what they mean.
It's not free, but well worth the small price.

It's always best to go directly to the source of the law to find out where you stand!
The law as written: Arizona Revised Statutes - 13-3102. Misconduct involving weapons; defenses; classification; definitions

You probably won't run into any problems here, the sight of firearms in AZ is pretty common. You might get a comment or question about the brand/model/caliber you're carrying, that's about it!

Enjoy your stay!

-MH

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to Arizona!

If you are:
Over 21: No permit is required to carry loaded or unloaded, openly or discretely.

You can't carry openly into any place that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises.
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption without a concealed carry permit. Your firearm must remain concealed, and, you can NOT consume alcohol!
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption if they have signs posted prohibiting firearms. (They don't get my money...)

Private businesses can ask you to leave, if you don't you can be charged with trespassing. (None of my money there either!)

No carrying into government buildings or onto school grounds. The 1000' GFSZ law isn't enforced in AZ.
Be careful around reservation land, they have their own rules and it can get dicey.

When in a vehicle, you may carry discretely if you are over 21, if stopped by a LEO, you might be asked if you have a firearm, if you are asked, you must tell them. They might take the firearm for the duration of the stop.

AzcdlFred posted this:

It's always best to go directly to the source of the law to find out where you stand!

You probably won't run into any problems here, the sight of firearms in AZ is pretty common. You might get a comment or question about the brand/model/caliber you're carrying, that's about it!

Enjoy your stay!

-MH

Thanks for the great info, in your post. I am in the Glendale area visiting family now and will put the info to good use. :D

Shoobee

Hi everyone. I'm new here. From England, moved to Oklahoma in 09. Very pleased to own a gun as obviously in the UK it's illegal. I don't have my concealed permit yet as I haven't taken the test but plan to. My question is this. I own a S&W MP-40. Last year my trip to AZ got a bit hairy. There was a couple of incodents at the hotel my friends and I were staying at. One was a robbery/attempted kidnapping behind our room and two guys running around with guns being chased by the law (scary for a guy from quiet old England lol) and another evening two drug dealer had a shoot out. Needless to say we changed hotels after that lol. Sorry to be long winded. This year we are heading back out to Phoenix to photograph the storms again and I heard AZ is an OC state. Where do I stand on taking my gun this time? Would this be ok? Any help on this matter would be grately appreciated. Thanks.

Stay away from Motel 6.

Shoobee

Welcome to Arizona!

If you are:

You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption without a concealed carry permit. Your firearm must remain concealed, and, you can NOT consume alcohol!
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption if they have signs posted prohibiting firearms. (They don't get my money...)

When in a vehicle, you may carry discretely if you are over 21, if stopped by a LEO, you might be asked if you have a firearm, if you are asked, you must tell them. They might take the firearm for the duration of the stop.

AzcdlFred posted this:

Enjoy your stay!

-MH

Great summary thanks. Tagging this for future reference.

Shoobee

Why? Are they anti-2A?

Ahh, if you have ever stayed at a Motel 6, then you know they are really makeshift brothels and drug dealerships.

If you absolutely positively cannot avoid staying at Motel 6, then bring at least two weapons with you, a semi auto pistol and a short barrel pump shotgun, both loaded and chambered at all times, especially during the night time, which is the main business hours there.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Ahh, if you have ever stayed at a Motel 6, then you know they are really makeshift brothels and drug dealerships.

If you absolutely positively cannot avoid staying at Motel 6, then bring at least two weapons with you, a semi auto pistol and a short barrel pump shotgun, both loaded and chambered at all times, especially during the night time, which is the main business hours there.

Thanks for the words of wisdom, I shall remember them should I have no other choice in lodging on my long drive back to De-toilet, err Detroit.:(

Count

Founder's Club Member
government buildings

Where is the prohibition for government buildings? You can carry into a police station....

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Where is the prohibition for government buildings? You can carry into a police station....

Friend I would glady take your help in finding a cite/link to the az gun laws that specifically state where you cannot carry? As I stated, I am new in the AZ sub forum. I was simply relaying what I was told by a family member who lives in Glendale. Thanks in advance for any help. :D

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran

Thanks - Phoenix David. That covers some of what I and others need to know, it appears reading this that it is ilegal to carry anything other than a pocket knife concealed in AZ? That cannot be correct, as usual leave it upto lawmakers to make it hard to follow the law. :rolleyes: I ordered the AZ gun law book, I will just hold off on going anywhere or doing anything here until I have a clear picture of what the law really is for oc/cc on foot - in a vehicle for non permit holders.

Last edited:

Phoenix David

I have found that you generally have to read each one about three times before you start to understand them, then a couple more times before you can start answering your questions.

GWbiker

In my travels and lodgings at numerous Motel 6 nationwide, I had just two issues - Roaches at Motel 6, San Rafael and ghetto rats infestation (gangbangers) at Motel 6, Pasadena. Both Motels in California.

BTW, I have never seen a Motel 6 posted "no weapons".

mFonz77

Carry in government buildings is permitted unless posted

I beg to differ with whoever said carry in government buildings is prohibited.

Unless posted, you are well within your rights to carry into a government building. Police stations, in my experience, are posted. In Arizona there is also a law that secure storage must be offered but not all places are in compliance.

You may wish to skim this document; it's a little more concise than the ARS but it also pertains to concealed carry.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf