• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

After how many drinks is carrying a no-no?

mbhudson

any alcohol is to much

if your going to go out and drink then dont carry a firearm can you step back for a moment and think about the huge risk you are putting yourself and others in ok forget others and think only about yourself what happens when God forbid you get into a situation that forces you to defend your life then what well you will almost surely be in court a some point defending that decision and one of the key things you must be able to articulate is proclusion so when the states attorney asks what else could you have done to prevent the shooting if you have made the choice to leave your house and drink while carrying a gun its going to be extremely difficult to show that you were operating with a clear mind since the state has a standing that any alcohol consumption at all puts you in the under the influence category therefore you can be found liable because shooting another person must be a last resort and can only happen when all other ways out have been exhausted and as a side note it is totally irresponsible and i would not choose to be around anyone that is armed and drinking my 2 cents

va_tazdad

Asked and answered

The art of bullsh*t is not so strong in this one. (rolls eyes)

Understatement.

Sorry HH, but I simply answered the question without preaching what others should do. I simply stated what I think, expect and do. That is not preaching.

Sorry you have a reading comprehension problem. (No eyes rolled!)

HandyHamlet

Sorry HH, but I simply answered the question(No eyes rolled!)

Seriously?

Save the lame-o BS. We have established you suck at it. Oh, by the way... We can all see what you wrote.

Guns and alcohol don't mix any better than guns and drugs.

Yawn. Not preaching...

:banghead:

Here's a news flash for you. It's none of your business what anyone else does. So save your sermon for yourself. How's that for preaching?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Sorry HH, but I simply answered the question without preaching what others should do. I simply stated what I think, expect and do. That is not preaching.

Sorry you have a reading comprehension problem. (No eyes rolled!)

And people wonder why Taz.:lol::lol::lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So.. while you are drunk, You take a LOADED firearm, handle it.. to unload it.. to be safe? Um.. can you post this location for the SAFETY of everyone else here?

Way north of the Ni...Thank God!

Thundar

Attorney Dan Hawes told me the moment a person consumes ANY alcohol, they are under the influence.

Go to LEO bar.

Observe off duty LEO lifting a pint and printing.

Call 911. Ask if drinking and concealed carry is OK. When dispatcher says no, give location.

Videotape results.

Post on YouTube.

Live free or Die,
Thundar

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

if your going to go out and drink then dont carry a firearm.....
what happens when God forbid you get into a situation that forces you to defend your life....
its going to be extremely difficult to show that you were operating with a clear mind

I completely understand your view point and respect people's right to choose.... BUT.
If god forbid you need a gun to stop someone from killing you, knowing that you did the right thing in not having a gun while having a beer may not be much comfort to the loved ones you leave behind.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I completely understand your view point and respect people's right to choose.... BUT.
If god forbid you need a gun to stop someone from killing you, knowing that you did the right thing in not having a gun while having a beer may not be much comfort to the loved ones you leave behind.

This is an old discussion here and it's been beaten to death.

In theory, I agree with you, but there are several different branches to it. Is it legal, is it safe and what is the public perception.

The legal end is covered by User, the safe end is dependent on the individual but the public perception is an open book.

Last Wednesday before the Read In, we met at a restaurant near the Library. It's a seedy little place in boarderline high crime area. The manager told me he didn't like guns there even though he carried one. I asked why. He said there was drinking there and it was an automatic felony to drink with a gun:eek:

The diplomat in me was getting strained by then so I just told him it wasn't, but none of us were drinking.

That's pretty much how the general public sees it.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

This is an old discussion here and it's been beaten to death.

In theory, I agree with you, but there are several different branches to it. Is it legal, is it safe and what is the public perception.

The legal end is covered by User, the safe end is dependent on the individual but the public perception is an open book.

Last Wednesday before the Read In, we met at a restaurant near the Library. It's a seedy little place in boarderline high crime area. The manager told me he didn't like guns there even though he carried one. I asked why. He said there was drinking there and it was an automatic felony to drink with a gun:eek:

The diplomat in me was getting strained by then so I just told him it wasn't, but none of us were drinking.

That's pretty much how the general public sees it.

You are right. I guess the way I have looked at is very fundamental. To me there are a number a reasons to disarm and take your chances. Safety, as you say, depends on the individual. The public perception thing never really entered into for me.

HandyHamlet

From the OP

My questions are:

1) What is the legal definition of "intoxicated" in Virginia?
2) What is the legal definition of "under the influence" in Virginia?
3) Since a permit to carry a concealed handgun changes how the law treats someone, how does this affect open carry? Is a person openly carrying a gun, who has no permit to carry a concealed handgun, merely subject to 18.2-388 (public intoxication)? Does a person with a concealed carry permit have a different definition of "intoxication" while open carrying? If so, what is that definition?

Numenor

IMHO the number of drinks allowed is zero. I don't drink anymore (was pretty much an alcoholic for several years, but quit last year) but if I did I would NEVER carry my firearm. Guess it's a good thing therefore that I don't drink as I carry 24/7 now. =)

HandyHamlet

Jesus.

How is this...
IMHO the number of drinks allowed is zero. I don't drink anymore (was pretty much an alcoholic for several years, but quit last year) but if I did I would NEVER carry my firearm. Guess it's a good thing therefore that I don't drink as I carry 24/7 now. =)

in any way an answer to this?

My questions are:

1) What is the legal definition of "intoxicated" in Virginia?
2) What is the legal definition of "under the influence" in Virginia?
3) Since a permit to carry a concealed handgun changes how the law treats someone, how does this affect open carry? Is a person openly carrying a gun, who has no permit to carry a concealed handgun, merely subject to 18.2-388 (public intoxication)? Does a person with a concealed carry permit have a different definition of "intoxication" while open carrying? If so, what is that definition?

Seriously, someone should screen new members to see if they can actually read. Time for a drink.

Numenor

Seriously, someone should screen new members to see if they can actually read. Time for a drink.

Perhaps someone should read the thread title. Sure those are other questions posted, but I gave my answer for the main question. If this sorta thing causes you to drink I fear for your liver.

HandyHamlet

Perhaps someone should read the thread title. Sure those are other questions posted, but I gave my answer for the main question. If this sorta thing causes you to drink I fear for your liver.

There are no "other" questions.

The title to the thread is just that. The title.

Time for IQ screening as well. I fear for humanity.

:uhoh:

scouser

The title of the thread is

"After how many drinks is carrying a no-no?"

A close look at the title will reveal a "?" at the end. It's known as a 'question mark' and is used to indicate the asking of a question, so anyone who suggests a number in their reply is answering one of the questions the OP asked.

Numenor

So far, you've insulted my intelligence as well as stated that I'm blind and cannot read. What a paragon of internet virtue you are and so welcoming to new members. Get off your high horse and come back down to the level of the normal people.

You know, at least with my initial post in this topic I actually adressed what it was about. All you're doing is clogging this thread with nit-picking.

Got to say this is a GREAT welcome to a new member here.

Last edited: