Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lansing: Who is up for a gun buyback this weekend?

Lansing: Who is up for a gun buyback this weekend?

All,

The LPD gun buyback will be this weekend. More details to come later today.

That being said, who is up to buying some guns in Lansing this Saturday (8/18)?

Just to be clear, I'm talking about buying guns from others -- not selling!

Rendezvous Information
    Date: 8/18/2012@9:30 AM
    Bring with you: Home made sign advising something like "Have Gun for Sale? I have cash!" or what will you. Also bring a stack of RI-60's

More details given at rendezvous
    Last edited by TheQ; 08-15-2012 at 10:50 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    All,

The LPD gun buyback will be this weekend. More details to come later today.

That being said, who is up to buying some guns in Lansing this Saturday (8/18)?

Just to be clear, I'm talking about buying guns from others -- not selling!
    Me, and I can offer the people cash instead of a store card so hopefully a nice g17 comes through for $100. Better get some ri-60 printed up before the weekend.
    Last edited by WilDChilD; 08-15-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Update: It'll be 10A-2P at something Tabernacle Church -- See OP
    Last edited by TheQ; 08-15-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...text|FRONTPAGE

They are only accepting guns that are in working order -- which will weed out the bad guns for us

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    "Firearms will be accepted with no questions asked in exchange for $100 Meijer gift cards for each working gun. Other assault weapons can be traded in for a $50 gift card."
    huh?
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Update: It'll be 10A-2P at something Tabernacle Church -- See OP
    do you have a meetup time/place?

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    do you have a meetup time/place?
    "Stay tuned"

I will try to make it if I can, with cash and RI-60s.

My Google Earth "recon" indicates some things for planning/logistics that I will PM TheQ about and he may disseminate. I would suggest keeping all planning specifics private, and suggest you PM TheQ about it.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I will try to make it if I can, with cash and RI-60s.

My Google Earth "recon" indicates some things for planning/logistics that I will PM TheQ about and he may disseminate. I would suggest keeping all planning specifics private, and suggest you PM TheQ about it.
    OP updated with relevant information. The rendezvous is .5 miles away from the buyback. We'll discuss more tactics there.

OP updated with relevant information. The rendezvous is .5 miles away from the buyback. We'll discuss more tactics there.
    I'd love to come, but unfortunately I will be busy this weekend.

Would anyone be willing to pick me up something? I could pay you in person later.

I wouldn't mind an old 870 for a project, I really only need the receiver, and internals, and possibly the mag tube, the rest will be replaced anyway, any condition, it doesn't even need to work, as long as there is no visible pitting, or heavy rust, I'll be gun coating the whole thing.

Of course anything cool like AR's, AK's, decent pistols, and cool milsurps would be nice to.

In all seriousness though, good luck.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Re: Lansing: Who is up for a gun buyback this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Small_Arms_Collector View Post
    I'd love to come, but unfortunately I will be busy this weekend.

Would anyone be willing to pick me up something? I could pay you in person later.

I wouldn't mind an old 870 for a project, I really only need the receiver, and internals, and possibly the mag tube, the rest will be replaced anyway, any condition, it doesn't even need to work, as long as there is no visible pitting, or heavy rust, I'll be gun coating the whole thing.

Of course anything cool like AR's, AK's, decent pistols, and cool milsurps would be nice to.

In all seriousness though, good luck.
    Not saying it cannot happen but, 97+ % of the guns at these things are crap.

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both!
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    Not saying it cannot happen but, 97+ % of the guns at these things are crap.

I believe that, still, I can have my fingers crossed something cool might show up, and someone will be nice, and hold it for me.

The aforementioned 870 though doesn't even need to run, as long as the receiver is solid, and the internals are mostly salvageable, and there's no pitting, or heavy rust, I'm looking for a project gun for a complete rebuild, and refinish. Although I'm not sure it would be worth the price tag. Oh well I can dream of a $150 AR.

Gary, IN is also having a gun buy-back. A fellow IN gun-owner asked one of his Gary cop friends if they could set up a public buy, and he was told, "Honestly Mike, I know it is legal to do a face to face transaction, but I wouldn't advise trying to do it. There is the possibility that a lot of stolen guns could show up, and I wouldn't want anyone to get burned." He said he is not sure what other officers would do, but he is just of the opinion that there is too much of a risk of a law abiding citizen getting a stolen or illegal weapon.
    Last edited by griffin; 08-16-2012 at 07:34 PM.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Gary, IN is also having a gun buy-back. A fellow IN gun-owner asked one of his Gary cop friends if they could set up a public buy, and he was told, "Honestly Mike, I know it is legal to do a face to face transaction, but I wouldn't advise trying to do it. There is the possibility that a lot of stolen guns could show up, and I wouldn't want anyone to get burned." He said he is not sure what other officers would do, but he is just of the opinion that there is too much of a risk of a law abiding citizen getting a stolen or illegal weapon.
    Thought about that, but I think if you bought a handgun they wouldn't want to fill out the ri60 if it was stolen.

Have fun with all the sat. night specials and jennings-nines...
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

ANY FTF transaction runs this risk and yet plenty of people do it at guns shows or off internet forums such as MGO. you NEVER know 100% when you buy a used gun that it hasn't either been stolen or used in a crime. even if you're buying from a licensed dealer.
    btw, doesn't look like i'll be able to make this one... sure wish i could though

Lansing: Who is up for a gun buyback this weekend?

Tomorrow morning!

im going there, going to try and sell a junker and then pick up something new, a 10/22 or cheap pistol would be nice
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_freak_66 View Post
    im going there, going to try and sell a junker and then pick up something new, a 10/22 or cheap pistol would be nice
    I'm actually going to turn in a Remington Nylon 66 22LR rifle, unless someone else wants it.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Re: Lansing: Who is up for a gun buyback this weekend?

I'm actually going to turn in a Remington Nylon 66 22LR rifle, unless someone else wants it.
    These were great little rifles if my memory serves correct. Why let the cops have it? Just curious?

“A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    These were great little rifles if my memory serves correct. Why let the cops have it? Just curious?
    It is a nice little rifle. Usually sells used for $200-$300 according to gunbroker. Needs very minor work. It does shoot fine as is. If you or anyone wants to buy it, PM me tonight and I'll provide more details.
    Last edited by griffin; 08-17-2012 at 08:59 PM.
    Wheels

Tomorrow morning!
    Ok, I was able to confirm tonight that my schedule is open for tomorrow. I will be there.

I encourage everyone to bring a video recorder if you have one. Even if it's just a phone app, try to have something for video. Cops involved in a buyback have been known to act pissy towards people like us trying to legitimately save good guns from destruction. Ask Doug. I believe there's video of a buyback he was in the vicinity of.

EDIT: Yep, here's Doug's video proof of the need to be prepared to video when you're at a gun buyback:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gMHv-tCgCI
    Last edited by DanM; 08-17-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Ok, I was able to confirm tonight that my schedule is open for tomorrow. I will be there.

I encourage everyone to bring a video recorder if you have one. Even if it's just a phone app, try to have something for video. Cops involved in a buyback have been known to act pissy towards people like us trying to legitimately save good guns from destruction. Ask Doug. I believe there's video of a buyback he was in the vicinity of.

EDIT: Yep, here's Doug's video proof of the need to be prepared to video when you're at a gun buyback:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gMHv-tCgCI
    Great advice... I only add that I strongly suggest taping ANY transactions you make that day... either with the LEOs or with someone with one to sell to you.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Gun Buyback Underway

http://www.wlns.com/story/19310747/gun-buyback-underway
    silliness ensues

...wow $150 for "assault weapons" thanks to hysteria

alot of us got some good deals, S&W 9mm for 200 and a mossberg 500 "pistol" for 200, great condition mosin sporter and when i left there was a bidding war on an unfired norinco AK pre-ban 95% condition.

mostly junk came through but most of us found deals.

my plan was to sell a junker for the gift card and then offer the card plus cash for a new gun, so i didnt bring much cash....and for some unknown reason(i believe because they knew my plan, cannot prove) they refused my sale.

they had a 2 gun per person limit though and some guy brought in 3 junkers, i turned one in as my own, gave him the card and he gave me $10 so i made some profit at least.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast