• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lansing: Who is up for a gun buyback this weekend?

TheQ

All,

The LPD gun buyback will be this weekend. More details to come later today.

That being said, who is up to buying some guns in Lansing this Saturday (8/18)?

Just to be clear, I'm talking about buying guns from others -- not selling!

Rendezvous Information
Date: 8/18/2012@9:30 AM
Bring with you: Home made sign advising something like "Have Gun for Sale? I have cash!" or what will you. Also bring a stack of RI-60's

More details given at rendezvous

Last edited:

WilDChilD

All,

The LPD gun buyback will be this weekend. More details to come later today.

That being said, who is up to buying some guns in Lansing this Saturday (8/18)?

Just to be clear, I'm talking about buying guns from others -- not selling!

Me, and I can offer the people cash instead of a store card so hopefully a nice g17 comes through for $100. Better get some ri-60 printed up before the weekend.

Last edited:

Phil McCracken

Me, and I can offer the people cash instead of a store card so hopefully a nice g17 comes through for $100. Better get some ri-60 printed up before the weekend.

It is a good idea to have extra RI-60 forms with you always. I was able to get a nice G22 for $250 by having cash and a RI-60 in hand. I later traded it for a pristine HK USP45.

And I think I may be there also. Might end up in a bidding war. Maybe I'll bring along some Meiers cards too. (I bought them from a guy standing outside the Meijers in Waterford. They were cheap too. Scruffy looking welfare looking fella with a homemade drop-down holster.)

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
"Firearms will be accepted with no questions asked in exchange for $100 Meijer gift cards for each working gun. Other assault weapons can be traded in for a $50 gift card."
huh?

DanM

I will try to make it if I can, with cash and RI-60s.

My Google Earth "recon" indicates some things for planning/logistics that I will PM TheQ about and he may disseminate. I would suggest keeping all planning specifics private, and suggest you PM TheQ about it.

TheQ

I will try to make it if I can, with cash and RI-60s.

My Google Earth "recon" indicates some things for planning/logistics that I will PM TheQ about and he may disseminate. I would suggest keeping all planning specifics private, and suggest you PM TheQ about it.

OP updated with relevant information. The rendezvous is .5 miles away from the buyback. We'll discuss more tactics there.

Small_Arms_Collector

OP updated with relevant information. The rendezvous is .5 miles away from the buyback. We'll discuss more tactics there.

I'd love to come, but unfortunately I will be busy this weekend.

Would anyone be willing to pick me up something? I could pay you in person later.:D

I wouldn't mind an old 870 for a project, I really only need the receiver, and internals, and possibly the mag tube, the rest will be replaced anyway, any condition, it doesn't even need to work, as long as there is no visible pitting, or heavy rust, I'll be gun coating the whole thing.

Of course anything cool like AR's, AK's, decent pistols, and cool milsurps would be nice to.:D

In all seriousness though, good luck.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
I'd love to come, but unfortunately I will be busy this weekend.

Would anyone be willing to pick me up something? I could pay you in person later.:D

I wouldn't mind an old 870 for a project, I really only need the receiver, and internals, and possibly the mag tube, the rest will be replaced anyway, any condition, it doesn't even need to work, as long as there is no visible pitting, or heavy rust, I'll be gun coating the whole thing.

Of course anything cool like AR's, AK's, decent pistols, and cool milsurps would be nice to.:D

In all seriousness though, good luck.

Not saying it cannot happen but, 97+ % of the guns at these things are crap.

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Small_Arms_Collector

Not saying it cannot happen but, 97+ % of the guns at these things are crap.

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

I believe that, still, I can have my fingers crossed something cool might show up, and someone will be nice, and hold it for me.:D

The aforementioned 870 though doesn't even need to run, as long as the receiver is solid, and the internals are mostly salvageable, and there's no pitting, or heavy rust, I'm looking for a project gun for a complete rebuild, and refinish. Although I'm not sure it would be worth the price tag. Oh well I can dream of a $150 AR.:lol:

griffin

Gary, IN is also having a gun buy-back. A fellow IN gun-owner asked one of his Gary cop friends if they could set up a public buy, and he was told, "Honestly Mike, I know it is legal to do a face to face transaction, but I wouldn't advise trying to do it. There is the possibility that a lot of stolen guns could show up, and I wouldn't want anyone to get burned." He said he is not sure what other officers would do, but he is just of the opinion that there is too much of a risk of a law abiding citizen getting a stolen or illegal weapon.

Last edited:

WilDChilD

Gary, IN is also having a gun buy-back. A fellow IN gun-owner asked one of his Gary cop friends if they could set up a public buy, and he was told, "Honestly Mike, I know it is legal to do a face to face transaction, but I wouldn't advise trying to do it. There is the possibility that a lot of stolen guns could show up, and I wouldn't want anyone to get burned." He said he is not sure what other officers would do, but he is just of the opinion that there is too much of a risk of a law abiding citizen getting a stolen or illegal weapon.

Thought about that, but I think if you bought a handgun they wouldn't want to fill out the ri60 if it was stolen.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
ANY FTF transaction runs this risk and yet plenty of people do it at guns shows or off internet forums such as MGO. you NEVER know 100% when you buy a used gun that it hasn't either been stolen or used in a crime. even if you're buying from a licensed dealer.
btw, doesn't look like i'll be able to make this one... sure wish i could though