• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Founding Fathers could never have imagined....

bigdaddy1

the 2nd A didn't really have anything to do about firearms

Not sure what 2nd amendment your reading but the United States one reads "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" I don't believe they were describing sleeveless shirts.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Those founding fathers you question affirmed those rights by writing on that piece of paper that those rights are not to be diminished. I don't believe anyone worships either of them but we do revere them. The Constitution of the United States is the foundation that our country was based on. With out law there is only anarchy. Even Adam and Eve had to obey God's law so there will always be those that dictate what you do. Most of your points can be refereed to these points.

Oh, my. How did you get from the foundational law of the current union to anarchy?

Here are some points, in no particular order:

Carsontech asks the right question. Why are the founders idolized? Most of the Framers were politicians and lawyers. Citing Founders is only useful if your listener has some pre-existing appreciation of them. But, citing Founders misses if the listener has no appreciation for them as, for example, many recent fedgov highest executives. But, it also misses with people who know a bit more about the Founders, the constitutional convention, and the history of ratification. Meaning, the more you know, the less you idolize them or the constitution.

Carsontech's avatar is a dead giveaway for some readers here. The man pictured in the avatar is Lysander Spooner. In 1870 he posed the idea (paraphrase) that the constitution either gave us the government we have, or was powerless to stop it. Meaning, even in his time, the fedgov was turning into a bloated monster, breaking its parchment, nonselfenforcing chains. Even one of the Founders wrote, "what have we wrought?" in dismay for what the fedgov was becoming. My memory is a little foggy. I forget who wrote it when. Jefferson? Sometime between 1811 -1819? The point is, the fedgov promptly started shedding its restraints--the men supposedly restrained weren't. By promptly, I mean promptly. The Alien and Sedition Acts under the second executive--John Adams--contained a clear, obvious, and unmistakeable violation of 1A freedom of speech/press. A number of men were charged and convicted. So, the federal courts involved were co-conspirators. The constitution is just a piece of parchment. It cannot enforce itself. There are, have been, and will be men who wish to control others and will ignore it.

The Founders were politicians and lawyers. The constitutional convention was initiated with deceit. The call was for a convention to tune up the Articles of Confederation. Many of the conventioneers ended up in the fedgov (like there was no conflict of interest there, right?)

And the constitution that issued from the convention didn't say a damn thing about a bill of rights. Those Founders anybody wants to idolize tried to give us a constitution without a bill of rights, and it was only through the howling of men like George Mason and Patrick Henry who completely distrusted such a government that we got a bill of rights (which was promptly ignored and has been watered down bit and piece ever since.) The Anti-federalists raised such a fuss it threatened to completely derail the ratification of the constitution by the states. James Madison, the so-called father of the bill of rights wanted nothing to do with them, calling them odious or some such. He only collected the state recommendations and edited them into the Bill of Rights after ratification was on the ropes. Some father.

Hamilton, that lying, conniving, monarchist bastard did everything he could to persuade against a bill of rights. Yeah. The same little weasel who said that freedom was written on the souls of men opposed the bill of rights and gave obviously specious arguments that the Anti-federalists didn't buy for one minute.

In the only state to submit the constitution to a public vote, Rhode Island, the constitution was defeated by something like 11-1.

For the record, the Anti-federalists were right. They were convinced such a government as created under the constitution would grow, grabbing more power and more influence and more tyranny as it went. It did. They were right.

One of the primary Federalist arguments against a bill of rights in the constitution was that there was already no power in the constitution for the government to act in various areas. Since there was no power for congress, for example, to criminalize certain speech or press critical of government, then there was no need provide protection for the same. Yeah, right. The Alien and Sedition Acts proved that was a lie. And, we all know how carefully the government adheres to using only the powers given in the constitution. The "no power" argument for not adding a bill of rights was ridiculous and the Anti-federalists knew it.

Even Ben Franklin was convinced the constitution would fail, and said so. See his closing address to the constitutional convention.

John Adams put on airs of pomp and royality as president. He hated the idea of democracy and was mortified when Jefferson defeated him in the election of 1800. He was also a Federalist. The same bunch that tried to pass off a constitution with no bill of rights. And, he signed the Alien and Sedition Acts into law. The weasel. The judges who sentenced citizens for violating those acts were Federalists. The judge who cemented judicial review when there was no such power mentioned in the constitution, John Marshall, was a Federalist who despised Jefferson. You see where I'm headed with this.

You can't see what's there unless you pull back the curtain of reverence for the constitution, what Kenneth Royce aptly termed "parchment idolatry." Set aside the reverence for a moment and take a look. Alternatively, if you want to revere some people, select people like The Nazarene. Even if one cannot accept His divinity, its hard to argue against his compassion and the benefit of using his principles. Or, Bhudda (spiritual freedom, compassion) whose ideas helped bring civilization to a barbarous China. Or, John Locke who published in 1689 the analysis of rights found in the Declaration of Independence--"We hold these truths..." Or, Thomas Jefferson who, while not perfect in his application, was probably better than any other founder at actually applying principles of freedom. Or, Lysander Spooner, who wrote for rights and freedom. His 1870 essay No Treason is a penetrating critique of the constitution against which it is very difficult to argue with intellectual integrity. Meaning, if you must revere somebody, select men and women who proved their committment to freedom. Rather than men like Adams, Hamilton, & Co. (Federalists) who threw off a king and quickly started working on setting up things to benefit themselves, and that bore little more than lip-service resemblence to the liberty they told everybody else they were fighting for. Remember, those rights they didn't want to put in the constitution were also, mostly, the very rights of Englishmen they earlier claimed the king and parliament were not giving them.

As for the anarchy comment, the absence of the constitution does not equate with anarchy. We had the governments of the individual countries (states). We had the Articles of Confederation that were not tuned up but could have been. And, that convention could have written a better constitution. For example, they could have actually finished Article Three (courts) rather than leave it up to congress to write the Judiciary Act to flesh out the rest of Article III. Which reminds me. More than one scholar has pointed out that the Judiciary Act of (1789?) was actually a constitutional amendment. But, it was passed by congress as a statute, not subject to the ratification process required by Article V. Another neat little machination and subversion.

By the way, one of the New England states went for something like three years without a state government. No disaster. No terror or lawlessness in the streets. This was around the time of the Articles of Confederation if I recall.

One last thought. If you just can't get past the idolatry/reverence for the founders and the constitution, ask yourself why the careful omission of the facts I mentioned above about the constitution and founders. Why is that stuff not taught in high school, in-depth. Who benefits from the population not knowing? Why isn't it mainstream knowledge instead of being usually found in college courses or out-of-the-way books. Cui bono? (Who benefits?) Who benfits from the population not knowing what actually happened, supplanting knowledge with reverence instead?

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

Oh, my. How did you get from the foundational law of the current union to anarchy?

Here are some points, in no particular order:

Carsontech asks the right question. Why are the founders idolized? Most of the Framers were politicians and lawyers. Citing Founders is only useful if your listener has some pre-existing appreciation of them. But, citing Founders misses if the listener has no appreciation for them as, for example, many recent fedgov highest executives. But, it also misses with people who know a bit more about the Founders, the constitutional convention, and the history of ratification. Meaning, the more you know, the less you idolize them or the constitution.

Carsontech's avatar is a dead giveaway for some readers here. The man pictured in the avatar is Lysander Spooner. In 1857 he posed the idea (paraphrase) that the constitution either gave us the government we have, or was powerless to stop it. Meaning, even in his time, the fedgov was turning into a bloated monster, breaking its parchment, nonselfenforcing chains. Even one of the Founders wrote, "what have we wrought?" in dismay for what the fedgov was becoming. My memory is a little foggy. I forget who wrote it when. Jefferson? Sometime between 1811 -1819? The point is, the fedgov promptly started shedding its restraints--the men supposedly restrained weren't. By promptly, I mean promptly. The Alien and Sedition Acts under the second executive--John Adams--contained a clear, obvious, and unmistakeable violation of 1A freedom of speech/press. A number of men were charged and convicted. So, the federal courts involved were co-conspirators. The constitution is just a piece of parchment. It cannot enforce itself. There are, have been, and will be men who wish to control others and will ignore it.

The Founders were politicians and lawyers. The constitutional convention was initiated with deceit. The call was for a convention to tune up the Articles of Confederation. Many of the conventioneers ended up in the fedgov (like there was no conflict of interest there, right?)

And the constitution that issued from the convention didn't say a damn thing about a bill of rights. Those Founders anybody wants to idolize tried to give us a constitution without a bill of rights, and it was only through the howling of men like George Mason and Patrick Henry who completely distrusted such a government that we got a bill of rights (which was promptly ignored and has been watered down bit and piece ever since.) The Anti-federalists raised such a fuss it threatened to completely derail the ratification of the constitution by the states. James Madison, the so-called father of the bill of rights wanted nothing to do with them, calling them odious or some such. He only collected the state recommendations and edited them into the Bill of Rights after ratification was on the ropes. Some father.

Hamilton, that lying, conniving, monarchist bastard did everything he could to persuade against a bill of rights. Yeah. The same little weasel who said that freedom was written on the souls of men opposed the bill of rights and gave obviously specious arguments that the Anti-federalists didn't buy for one minute.

In the only state to submit the constitution to a public vote, Rhode Island, the constitution was defeated by something like 11-1.

For the record, the Anti-federalists were right. They were convinced such a government as created under the constitution would grow, grabbing more power and more influence and more tyranny as it went. It did. They were right.

Even Ben Franklin was convinced the constitution would fail, and said so. See his closing address to the constitutional convention.

You can't see what's there unless you pull back the curtain of reverence for the constitution, what Kenneth Royce aptly termed "parchment idolatry." Set aside the reverence for a moment and take a look.

As for the anarchy comment, the absence of the constitution does not equate with anarchy. We had the governments of the individual countries (states). We had the Articles of Confederation that were not tuned up but could have been. And, that convention could have written a better constitution. For example, they could have actually finished Article Three (courts) rather than leave it up to congress to write the Judiciary Act to flesh out the rest of Article III. Which reminds me. More than one scholar has pointed out that the Judiciary Act of (1789?) was actually a constitutional amendment. But, it was passed by congress as a statute, not subject to the ratification process required by Article V. Another neat little machination and subversion.

By the way, one of the New England states went for something like three years without a state government. No disaster. No terror or lawlessness in the streets.

Thank you for this post. Seriously, I enjoyed in; I'm not being a butt about it, I really enjoyed reading it.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Thank you for this post. Seriously, I enjoyed in; I'm not being a butt about it, I really enjoyed reading it.

You're welcome. If you want to know more, here are some references.

Hologram of Liberty Kenneth Royce writing under the pen name Boston T. Party.

No Treason essayby Lysander Spooner. There is a Spooner foundation or association website that has collected his works, including No Treason.

Pretty much any book on the constitutional convention. Most seem to be clouded by reverence, but even those it just requires reading between the lines a little bit. Unless somebody knows of one which pulls no punches?

Second Treatise on Government by John Locke. Available in paperback in most bookstores, I imagine. Got mine at Barnes and Noble four years ago or so. Jefferson practically plagiarized Locke in the second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence. "We hold these truths...endowed by creator...unalienable rights...life, liberty...that to secure these rights governments are instituted among men." I use the plagiarize label very loosely. By the time of the American Revolution, Locke's words were commonly known and understood. Adams wrote years later that the ideas in the second paragraph were trite at the time the Declaration was written. While I wouldn't put it past Adams to be criticizing Jefferson or even undermining rights, his comment reveals that an awful lot of people knew those ideas. They don't get trite if they are not known.

Of course, the principles of Jesus and Bhudda will be found in the religious section of bookstores.

Ben Franklin's closing address to the constitutional convention is just a few google clicks away.

The Federalist Papers. Easily available in paperback. Drop the reverence like taking off temporarily a jacket, and see what whoppers you can find. For example, in one essay the author soothes that congress congress can be trusted to pass only good laws because the congressman will themselves be subject to the same law. Right. Suuuuure. Do you recall that recent fuss and about-face regarding congress exempting themselves from insider trading laws. I think Hamilton wrote that one. Weasel that he was, I'll bet even he never dreamed a bunch of criminals would refine the art of passing bad laws to the point where they pass laws without even reading them. The author knew his argument was a lie. Which brings up my last point. Keep in mind while reading that, despite all the hoopla and reverence for The Federalist Papers being insight into what the founders were thinking, they are really just long letters-to-the-editor trying to persuade people to support the constitution. They were--literally--an advertising campaign.

Last edited:

Shoobee

“The Founding Fathers could have never imagined something like an AK-47”

I hear this argument all the time when trying to discuss the rights outlined by the Second Amendment. Quite frankly, this argument is so stupid, it offends me that someone thinks I am such a simpleton that I would accept this statement.

There are two points on this matter.

The Founding Fathers and those of their era utilized muzzle-loading blackpowder firearms in hostile confrontations with the Native Americans. The Native Americans used bow and arrows, they used stone and bone arrowheads, they used other weapons made of stone and wood, until Europeans taught them how to work metal. The Founders were well aware of the fact that technology, especially weapons technology advanced over time. This is to say nothing of the fact that the quest to design a firearm capable of firing multiple rounds and doing so quickly; is in fact as old as the firearm itself….and firearms were around a long time before the American Revolution.

The other reason this statement infuriates me is the astonishing lack of vision the one who speaks it conveys, and then assumes I am similarly limited. Someone who truly believes the above statement needs to put down the iPod, get off Facebook, turn off the TV, and crack open a book; and, perhaps, expand their own imagination.

If Gene Rodenberry can imagine a handgun that disintegrates a person, or even many metric tons of solid rock on impact….if George Lucas can envision a space station that destroys planets with so much energy it would take our sun 6,000 years to produce the necessary power….you mean to tell me that the Founding Fathers, some of the wisest men who ever lived could not envision that one day high-capacity and automatic weapons would one day exist? That a group of men which included inventors, scientists, generals, and innovators could not forsee this?

I know I'm just preaching to the choir here, but that statement said so many times recently by those trying to seize on tragedy for personal gain just infuriates me.

Scalia in "Heller" describes very plainly what he thinks the Founders thought.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

Since his is one of the opinions on this Earth and in this Nation that matters, it is worth reading this USSC opinion, which he wrote.

The only thing that is clear from it is that all residents of the USA have a right to keep and bear arms in their homes.

Anything else is a crap shoot, according to the Court's opinion.

And 4 of the Justices don't even agree with that. Which I find is amazing.

It is perhaps noteworthy that women should probably not be appointed to the USSC since their track record on 2nd Amendment issues is abysmal, at least so far.

Jack House

It is perhaps noteworthy that women should probably not be appointed to the USSC since their track record on 2nd Amendment issues is abysmal, at least so far.
I vote PistolPackinMomma get appointed to SCOTUS next. And after her, hmmmm. Tess?

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

I vote PistolPackinMomma get appointed to SCOTUS next. And after her, hmmmm. Tess?

I'm honored, but must decline. I am no criminal, and therefore could have no future in politics :lol:

Citizen, thank you for your eloquent elaboration on Carsontech's points, and for the thorough explanation of the Founding Fathers history. I'm going to add a few of the books you've mentioned to my reading list; Carsontech and I are currently working through "Hologram of Liberty" as we speak; it's quite the eye opener!

OC for ME

We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate. - Thomas Jefferson
TJ was there way before we were here.

Folks who do not revere the US Constitution are more likely dissatisfied with their lack of being able to force the government to abide by it.

I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education. - Thomas Jefferson

Some men look at constitutions with sanctimonious reverence, and deem them like the ark of the covenant, too sacred to be touched. - Thomas Jefferson
Let us not be too general in our indignation.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson
I'm to the point today that the US Constitution is and must be sacrosanct, inviolate.....at least until we can get our congress critters to start abiding by it as it is written today. After that we can "fine tune" it to our hearts content.

Folks sometimes attribute too little "smarts" to those dead rich white dudes. Or, maybe we attribute too much "smarts" to ourselves.

I learned long ago that I have far to go to be as savvy as TJ and his crew.

papa bear

the 2ndA gives you the right to carry a firearm, but it was not written for the purpose of carrying a firearm.

CITIZEN one statement you made is in correct, and sorry i am not trying to be nit picky. but, you said that the founding fathers were "politicians, and lawyers". i submit that the majority were farmers and the others were merchants. probably the one who could have been a lawyer was Thomas Jefferson, and he was primarily a man of science.

Freedom1Man

the 2ndA gives you the right to carry a firearm, but it was not written for the purpose of carrying a firearm.

CITIZEN one statement you made is in correct, and sorry i am not trying to be nit picky. but, you said that the founding fathers were "politicians, and lawyers". i submit that the majority were farmers and the others were merchants. probably the one who could have been a lawyer was Thomas Jefferson, and he was primarily a man of science.

2nd Amendment goes NOT give you ANY rights. It only affirms a right that you already had.

nonameisgood

Wouldn't it be nice if we weren't governed by lawyers? Less governance and more living. I like the idea of hiring very smart people to do important jobs, but many of our "representatives" certainly aren't in the top 10% of smarts.

sudden valley gunner

I'm honored, but must decline. I am no criminal, and therefore could have no future in politics :lol:

Citizen, thank you for your eloquent elaboration on Carsontech's points, and for the thorough explanation of the Founding Fathers history. I'm going to add a few of the books you've mentioned to my reading list; Carsontech and I are currently working through "Hologram of Liberty" as we speak; it's quite the eye opener!

The best politicians are those who have no desire to be one. Asminov had a world in one of his books where you where choose to be one you didn't run.

Oh man I need to ad "Hologram of Liberty" to my reading list, I'll go look for it on the nook.

Ca Patriot

2nd Amendment goes NOT give you ANY rights. It only affirms a right that you already had.

Bingo. I think people usually have it backwards.

The constitution wasnt meant to give Americans rights, but rather it was meant to force the government to PROTECT those rights and to NOT infringe upon them.

Government was CREATED to protect God given rights, meaning those rights predate government.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I always just ask these liberals: yeah, I don't care what you think, or what any judge thinks...you or they gonna come over and get my weapon?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Different era. Congress didn't meet year round, nor did the state legislatures. A man could be both politician and farmer or merchant. Jefferson was farmer, lawyer, and politician. Politician for perhaps 30 years of his life.

Dig up the bio's on the (56?) signers of the Declaration of Independence. And, the constitutional convention. Especially the convention. A good number of the attendees ended up in the fedgov. Alternatively, one would not need to do a lot of research. Just estimate the likelihood that the state legislatures would have sent anything but politicians to the constitutional convention. Similar for the continental congress.

Frantic84

“The Founding Fathers could have never imagined something like an AK-47”

I hear this argument all the time when trying to discuss the rights outlined by the Second Amendment. Quite frankly, this argument is so stupid, it offends me that someone thinks I am such a simpleton that I would accept this statement.

you could also point out that machine guns where around long before the constitution:

The first machine gun was the Defense Gun, invented by James Puckle in England in 1718. It was a single barrel flintlock gun with multiple revolving chambers. It was operated by a hand crank. The intended use was repelling boarders on ships. The Puckle gun was not used very widely and failed commercially.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_invented_the_first_machine_gun#ixzz23sLhrCSo