• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT - Citizen harrassed by police for taking video

sudden valley gunner

I appreciate a good video of a citizen standing up to cops for his rights.

This should be posted in Kentucky or General topics section.

A mod could move it for ya.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

@5:40 in the officer finally evokes the mythical "right" to police safety that trumps the rights guaranteed by the Constitution.

Never fails.

:banghead:

Last edited:

Difdi

@5:40 in the officer finally evokes the mythical "right" to police safety that trumps the rights guaranteed by the Constitution.

I've always wondered about that. Given the 4th, 5th and 14th amendments, how can a seizure of a lawfully carried weapon be legal? Washington supposedly has stronger constitutional protections than the federal constitution provides, so if an action would seem to violate the federal constitution, it would almost certainly violate the state one.

Seizing a weapon, even temporarily, "for officer safety" is making the statement that the officer believes the citizen is going to unlawfully draw and fire. How is making such a claim in public not defamation?

It's illegal to forcibly disarm a police officer in Washington except in self-defense or on the order of a judge, but what would the reaction be if you cited the recent acts-of-Birk and asked an officer to disarm himself for citizen safety? What's the penalty for standing on your rights and refusing to surrender your weapon for "officer safety"?

A public official who uses the authority of his/her position to violate a statutory, civil or constitutional right has committed a federal crime, and doing so with a dangerous weapon is a felony (18USC242). Washington does not exempt a uniformed police officer (in any law that I've ever found anyway) from a citizen's arrest. Does Washington case law support the concept that simply being visibly armed (even if weapon is not drawn) while committing a crime makes the crime an armed crime? If so, a simply oral discouragement of exercise of rights by a police officer would be a felony crime for citizen's arrest purposes.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

RCW 9A.56.200
Robbery in the first degree.

(1) A person is guilty of robbery in the first degree if:

(a) In the commission of a robbery or of immediate flight therefrom, he or she:

(i) Is armed with a deadly weapon; or

(ii) Displays what appears to be a firearm or other deadly weapon; or

(iii) Inflicts bodily injury; or

(b) He or she commits a robbery within and against a financial institution as defined in RCW 7.88.010 or 35.38.060.

(2) Robbery in the first degree is a class A felony.

If you have a weapon on your person you're generally considered to be armed. I may be all wet on this one but I am pretty sure I am spot on.

If you have a gun in your pocket you are armed are you not?

I would have to say that officers are often guilty of this.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
A perfect example if you go out looking for a fight, you will find one, right, wrong or indifferent and most who view this will think, what an idiot.

decklin

What makes you think he went out looking for a fight? The situation presented to us goes like this:

OC'er checks his email via phone. It is a sunny Kentucky day so the OC'er holds the phone closer to his face to shield the screen from the sun. He happens to be facing a public building. (police station)

Police approach him so he (the OC'er) prepares the video function on his phone.

Police begin intimidating the OC'er and detain him.

They end up doing nothing because they had no legal standing to do what they did.

OC'er leaves and was polite during the entire encounter.

I am against baiting cops as it only creates a bad situation for everyone involved but this seems to be, according to all evidence presented, a LAC standing up for his rights during an unlawful detainment.

I say good for him.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Was he open carrying? concealed carrying? I did not catch anyone say anything about either, oh does that mean this topic of Off Topic as not to dealing with open carry?

Difdi

A perfect example if you go out looking for a fight, you will find one, right, wrong or indifferent and most who view this will think, what an idiot.

You're absolutely right. We should stop open carrying immediately. After all, standing up for our rights is looking for a fight, right?

Was he open carrying? concealed carrying? I did not catch anyone say anything about either, oh does that mean this topic of Off Topic as not to dealing with open carry?

There. Now the thread is at least theoretically on topic! :p

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

You're absolutely right. We should stop open carrying immediately. After all, standing up for our rights is looking for a fight, right?

Exactly. Once again the big bad "sheepdogs" show their true colors. Cherry picking rights. Everyone should be filming, photographing, recording, and writing about their public employees. It's called citizen journalism and it's about holding them accountable.

Pathetic.

Last edited:

amlevin

Everyone should be filming, photographing, recording, and writing about their public employees. It's called citizen journalism and it's about holding them accountable.

Pathetic.

Better yet, just install cameras EVERYWHERE in public. Make Public Streets and Highways just like the Casio's in Las Vegas.

That way there will be video evidence of ANY wrongdoing on either side.

Of course if that were to happen here it would just make us like the UK. We'd also have to be real careful of our personal "grooming" habits while in public :):)

Last edited:

Difdi

Better yet, just install cameras EVERYWHERE in public. Make Public Streets and Highways just like the Casio's in Las Vegas.

That way there will be video evidence of ANY wrongdoing on either side.

Of course if that were to happen here it would just make us like the UK. We'd also have to be real careful of our personal "grooming" habits while in public :):)

Did you hear? UK police recently arrested a guy for Face Crime. His face is partially paralyzed and he didn't have the right expression while walking on a public street. He was hauled in for breaching the peace. We're inching closer to 1984 every day, and the UK seems to be using it as a handbook.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/aug/08/olympics-spectator-parkinsons-arrest-smiling

HandyHamlet

What is baiting the police anyhow?

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
Alexcabbie

[video=youtube;IT8beUNL6ME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IT8beUNL6ME#![/video]

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
Alexcabbie

So baiting cops is breaking the law with intent to spark conflict?

HandyHamlet

So baiting cops is breaking the law with intent to spark conflict?

No. Baiting the cops is engaging in a Constitutionally guaranteed right that pisses of the hypocrites who cherry pick the Constitution. Both the "sheepdogs" here and those in uniform with badges. Like dancing and singing at the Jefferson Memorial in Washington DC.... Which is supposedly "illegal" and a "lefty stunt" even though both are protected by the 1st Amendment.

Oh the Irony.

The servant waits while the master baits.

[sarcasm off]

Freedom1Man

No. Baiting the cops is engaging in a Constitutionally guaranteed right that pisses of the hypocrites who cherry pick the Constitution. Both the "sheepdogs" here and those in uniform with badges. Like dancing and singing at the Jefferson Memorial in Washington DC.... Which is supposedly "illegal" and a "lefty stunt" even though both are protected by the 1st Amendment.

Oh the Irony.

The servant waits while the master baits.

[sarcasm off]

Ah so you're baiting cops any time you exercise a right then and you're opponent wants to try to skew your actions.

Like walking down the road with a "Vote for _________" sign would be baiting cops.
Dancing along a sidewalk would be baiting cops.
Standing up for your rights would be baiting cops.

I think I am beginning to understand. You're baiting cops anytime someone wishes to claim you are.:eek: I am glad that baiting cops it not illegal, yet. Otherwise we could all be locked up.

It looks like you've made some rather BIG decisions.

HandyHamlet

It looks like you've made some rather BIG decisions.

You are getting it. You can exercise your rights all you want. If they are approved here first and have to do with firearms. And not that hippie crap like writing and taking pictures and sh*t.

And actually I have. I made a big decision by following my heart and pursuing the career I wanted over 20 years ago. My career choice is directly protected by the 1st Amendment. So every time I get threatened, shoved up against walls, screamed at, lied to and dragged around by cops while doing my job it's my fault. Because I'm obviously a master baiter. A lefty libtard master baiter.

Last edited: