• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greetings from Owensboro!

RebeccaC

My name is Rebecca, I am getting "back into" firearms so to speak after an almost 18 year hiatus. I think all of these mass shootings may have something to do with it.:rolleyes:

I plan on carrying in my car only until I get my CCDW license, which is already proving to be a pain. Finding a class is problematic because I work weekend option at a nearby hospital. And classes only seem to be offered on weekends.

I work in Indiana, and so carefully looked at THEIR gun laws since I was going to have a gun in my car in Indiana and saw it said I needed a gun permit to have it in my car IF I had a regular place of employment. It said I had to drive the 45 minutes to L-I Identity Solutions in Evansville to be electronically fingerprinted, then I had to drive another 30 minutes to the Warrick County Sheriffs Office to actually APPLY for the permit, taking with me the paperwork showing I had been fingerprinted. (Since I work in Warrick County.) So I went and had myself fingerprinted. And paid $40 for the "privilege". :p Then I drove to Booneville in Warrick Co. (Thank Goodness for TomTom!)

Got to the Sheriff's Office and it turns out since I work 36 hours a week (3 12 hour shifts), and not 40, I don't NEED a permit.:banghead: They were very, very nice about it and apologized and said that yes, the State website needed to update to reflect that 40 hour a week rule. The Deputy I spoke to was really nice, and strongly encouraged me to get my CCDW license. He sympathized with what a pain it is to get it in KY but said he, his wife and his son all CC and that of course Indiana is reciprocal with KY.

In any event, I got what I asked for on my birthday last week, a 9mm (Ruger P95) and still haven't fired it. Plan on going out plinking this evening. I am just tickled to finally have a gun again after all of these years. I never cc'd when I was younger, but did carry it in my car and kept in near me around the house and when I slept.

I was looking on Youtube and found a video that will be for me, my online Bible on how to approach CC. Personally, I think it should be required viewing for anyone who wants to carry open OR concealed. JMHO. YMMV. "The Concealed Carry Protocol" by Nutnfancy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei8OK4WdoW0&list=PL4BD7809B33286D8A&index=4&feature=plpp_video

I have very much enjoyed reading here and have found a lot of very helpful information. ;)

Last edited:

langzaiguy

Welcome to the forum! Both states are pretty gun-friendly, but I think you'll find KY more hospitable. Glad you had a halfway decent experience in Warrick county. I actually used to live there! I lived in Newburgh, not Booneville though.

self preservation

Welcome. The first thread I ever started on here was because of IN. To make a long story short I will only hit the high points. I called IN back in March to confirm that a KY resident could carry a gun in Indiana. The first guy I talked to said that IN didnt honor KY permits. The second guy I talked to said they did. But you had to have a "permit" to carry at all in IN. I don't know why (well I guess I do) but that went all through me. It opened my eyes that not all places are KY and it will pay for one to learn as much as they can and to check the laws for themselves. Hope you find this site as helpful as I have.

RebeccaC

Welcome to the forum, RebeccaC. Indiana may have a more direct application and licensing scheme that Ky. but their laws are far more complicated. I don't rely very heavily on anything I see on youtube. State laws vary from state to state and I like to read them directly and learn exactly what they say. Be careful.

Oh he is not discussing laws in any particular state, just the mindset one should have if they are going to carry. Again, an EXCELLENT video. And again, I would highly recommend it to anyone thinking about carrying. :D

KYGlockster

Activist Member
My name is Rebecca, I am getting "back into" firearms so to speak after an almost 18 year hiatus. I think all of these mass shootings may have something to do with it.:rolleyes:

I plan on carrying in my car only until I get my CCDW license, which is already proving to be a pain. Finding a class is problematic because I work weekend option at a nearby hospital. And classes only seem to be offered on weekends.

I work in Indiana, and so carefully looked at THEIR gun laws since I was going to have a gun in my car in Indiana and saw it said I needed a gun permit to have it in my car IF I had a regular place of employment. It said I had to drive the 45 minutes to L-I Identity Solutions in Evansville to be electronically fingerprinted, then I had to drive another 30 minutes to the Warrick County Sheriffs Office to actually APPLY for the permit, taking with me the paperwork showing I had been fingerprinted. (Since I work in Warrick County.) So I went and had myself fingerprinted. And paid $40 for the "privilege". :p Then I drove to Booneville in Warrick Co. (Thank Goodness for TomTom!)

Got to the Sheriff's Office and it turns out since I work 36 hours a week (3 12 hour shifts), and not 40, I don't NEED a permit.:banghead: They were very, very nice about it and apologized and said that yes, the State website needed to update to reflect that 40 hour a week rule. The Deputy I spoke to was really nice, and strongly encouraged me to get my CCDW license. He sympathized with what a pain it is to get it in KY but said he, his wife and his son all CC and that of course Indiana is reciprocal with KY.

In any event, I got what I asked for on my birthday last week, a 9mm (Ruger P95) and still haven't fired it. Plan on going out plinking this evening. I am just tickled to finally have a gun again after all of these years. I never cc'd when I was younger, but did carry it in my car and kept in near me around the house and when I slept.

I was looking on Youtube and found a video that will be for me, my online Bible on how to approach CC. Personally, I think it should be required viewing for anyone who wants to carry open OR concealed. JMHO. YMMV. "The Concealed Carry Protocol" by Nutnfancy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei8OK4WdoW0&list=PL4BD7809B33286D8A&index=4&feature=plpp_video

I have very much enjoyed reading here and have found a lot of very helpful information. ;)

I am a little confused. What does the number of hours you work have anything to do with gun laws? Why would you need a permit in Indiana to keep a firearm in your vehicle if you work 40 hours a week, but not need one if you only work 36? The law does not seem to differentiate.

FROM INDIANA LAW:

"IC 35-47-2-4 (f) The superintendent may not issue a lifetime qualified license or a lifetime unlimited license to a person who is a resident of another state. The superintendent may issue a four (4) year qualified license or a four (4) year unlimited license to a person who is a resident of another state and who has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana as described in section 3(a)(3) of this chapter. Note: Apply as directed for Residents. You will have to supply supporting evidence that you have a business or employment in Indiana."

It is much easier to obtain a KY CDWL than an Indiana handgun license. You do not have to be fingerprinted, nor complete such a large amount of paper work. The only down side is the training. I would suggest taking the class if at all possible, because the KY CDWL is recognized by a great deal more states than an IN license.

If you don't know, you do not need a license to keep a loaded firearm (or other deadly weapon) in your vehicle in KY as long as it is kept in the open, or in any enclosed factory installed storage compartment (KRS 527.020). KY firearm law is very easy to understand, because basically there is no law. We have plenty of laws that protect our 2A rights, but none that harm those rights (except the bearing of CONCEALED weapons). Keep in mind OC of firearms or other deadly weapons is completely OK without a license in KY.

YOU DO NEED A LICENSE TO CARRY A HANDGUN IN YOUR VEHICLE IN INDIANA IF THE HANDGUN IS LOADED AND KEPT WHERE IT CAN BE ACCESSIBLE.

IC 35-47-2-1
Carrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person convicted of domestic battery
Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
(b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
(1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;
(2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
(A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;
(B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
(C) is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
(3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
(A) unloaded;
(B) not readily accessible; and
(C) secured in a case;
(4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
(A) unloaded;
(C) secured in a case; or

So basically you can keep a handgun in your vehicle as long as it is secured in a case and in your trunk; or locked in the case or some other location where you can't immediately gain access and load the weapon.

Welcome to the FORUM, and enjoy exercising your vast freedom here in KY.

Last edited:

RebeccaC

I am a little confused. What does the number of hours you work have anything to do with gun laws? Why would you need a permit in Indiana to keep a firearm in your vehicle if you work 40 hours a week, but not need one if you only work 36? The law does not seem to differentiate.

FROM INDIANA LAW:

"IC 35-47-2-4 (f) The superintendent may not issue a lifetime qualified license or a lifetime unlimited license to a person who is a resident of another state. The superintendent may issue a four (4) year qualified license or a four (4) year unlimited license to a person who is a resident of another state and who has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana as described in section 3(a)(3) of this chapter. Note: Apply as directed for Residents. You will have to supply supporting evidence that you have a business or employment in Indiana."

It is much easier to obtain a KY CDWL than an Indiana handgun license. You do not have to be fingerprinted, nor complete such a large amount of paper work. The only down side is the training. I would suggest taking the class if at all possible, because the KY CDWL is recognized by a great deal more states than an IN license.

If you don't know, you do not need a license to keep a loaded firearm (or other deadly weapon) in your vehicle in KY as long as it is kept in the open, or in any enclosed factory installed storage compartment (KRS 527.020). KY firearm law is very easy to understand, because basically there is no law. We have plenty of laws that protect our 2A rights, but none that harm those rights (except the bearing of CONCEALED weapons). Keep in mind OC of firearms or other deadly weapons is completely OK without a license in KY.

YOU DO NEED A LICENSE TO CARRY A HANDGUN IN YOUR VEHICLE IN INDIANA IF THE HANDGUN IS LOADED AND KEPT WHERE IT CAN BE ACCESSIBLE.

IC 35-47-2-1
Carrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person convicted of domestic battery
Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
(b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
(1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;
(2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
(A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;
(B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
(C) is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
(3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
(A) unloaded;
(C) secured in a case;
(4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
(A) unloaded;
(C) secured in a case; or

So basically you can keep a handgun in your vehicle as long as it is secured in a case and in your trunk; or locked in the case or some other location where you can't immediately gain access and load the weapon.

Welcome to the FORUM, and enjoy exercising your vast freedom here in KY.

I agree, the 36 hour a week rule seems bizarre, but that was what they said at the S.O. And the Officer gave me his card to keep in my glove box if there were any questions, plus they gave me a State number to call with any other questions and again, said that no, the 40 hour rule was NOT included in the online statutes. Then he urged me to get my CC, lol.....

I think there's someone in Beaver Dam KY who will do CCDW classes by appointment and that may be the only way I can get it.

Took my new 9mm out today and fired off 100 rounds. Haven't fired a gun in about 18 years, but I was pretty well pleased with myself. It's perfect. 18 years ago I was alternating target shooting between a .22 pistol, a .22 rifle and a .30-30. I was actually more accurate with the rifle, hehe. Then after I got married, hubby stuck a scope on the damn thing and I just about got brain damaged from the scope when the recoil planted it right between my eyes! :pPretty funny actually, and I've seen a few of these in the emergency room and commiserated with the patients, having done it myself!

In any event, I've got a cheap little green laser coming and am really looking forward to plinking with that. Have never used a laser sight.

I am still going through posts on this forum; the wealth of information is great and I can see there are some real characters here!:lol:

Thanks everyone for the replies!

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I'm not trying to be rude; just helpful. I would not carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle in Indiana. Having an officer's business card will mean nothing if you are found to be violating the law. Law enforcement officers are the worst people to receive legal advice from because the majority don't know what they are talking about, and they ARE allowed to lie and they also have blanket immunity. The law mentions you can not carry without a license in your car, and www.handgunlaw.us also states it is illegal to carry without a license. The guys at www.handgunlaw.us are very up to date, and have all recent changes in law for Indiana posted. I would suggest checking out their site by clicking on the blue link.

Last edited:

RebeccaC

I'm not trying to be rude; just helpful. I would not carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle in Indiana. Having an officer's business card will mean nothing if you are found to be violating the law. Law enforcement officers are the worst people to receive legal advice from because the majority don't know what they are talking about, and they ARE allowed to lie and they also have blanket immunity. The law mentions you can not carry without a license in your car, and www.handgunlaw.us also states it is illegal to carry without a license. The guys at www.handgunlaw.us are very up to date, and have all recent changes in law for Indiana posted. I would suggest checking out their site by clicking on the blue link.

Thank you. :)I will do that. You are right about many officers not knowing the law. Some of the videos I have seen on Youtube regarding carrying open OR concealed are really alarming. The number officers ignorant of (or ignoring) the law is really remarkably high.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
You are welcome; I would hate to see you lose your right to keep and bear because something an officer told you. I believe since the 2A was incorporated to the states that it should be our license to carry OC or CC, but the thinking today is not what it was when our country was founded. Welcome again and enjoy; you will learn a great deal of information from this forum, and meet a bunch of great people.

Comm

Welcome to the forum RebeccaC. You will gets LOTS of good info here as you may have already found out.
Enjoy!