Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Birmingham considers gun ban? Will they every learn?

Birmingham considers gun ban? Will they every learn?

Channel 4 WDIV just had a news story that Birmingham is considering banning guns in their city hall, library, parks and wherever else they think they can get away with. This in response to the rash of open carriers they have been experiencing lately. Showing a backdrop to the commentary of Sean and some other OCers.

Hmmm.....Anyone else see this?

Maybe they never learned of preemption?

More of the "Not in our city" mentality?

Discuss.
    "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal."

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar

this is just another example of the epic dumbness that oozes out of that cesspool.
    i sense another visit from a few good men in the near future.
    Last edited by smellslikemichigan; 08-15-2012 at 06:30 PM.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Sounds like another city hall meeting is in order?
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

I guess this will go one of two ways, they will either learn from having more and MORE meeting of OCers in the city that they cant ban firearms, or, they will continue to ban firearms because more and MORE people are OCing in birmingham and then we will have to sue the city...either way OCers win. I dont think they understand this.

Though personally I like the fact that were bugging them
    The worst weapon is the human mind, its created and done things far worse than a gun can, has, or ever will. Its the human mind that tells the gun what to do and animates the inanimate object.

With all these gun control laws in place I have yet to find a single one that has saved someones life, but I can find hundreds of stories where a gun has.

At the City Commission meeting of 8/13 was an agenda item "VIII. COMMUNICATIONS . . . A. Baldwin Public Library, Library’s position on Michigan’s Open Carry Laws."
    http://www.ci.birmingham.mi.us/index...6737&page=1329

Clicking on the "View Full Agenda" at the bottom of the above web-page, the PDF document that comes up has a sub-PDF named "8A BALDWIN PUBLIC LIBRARY" with a few interesting document images (toward the bottom). Here's the direct link:
    http://www.ci.birmingham.mi.us/clien...ion/agenda.pdf

Excerpt:

Letter to Sen. Pappageorge and Rep. Moss, dated 7/18/2012: "On June 11, 2012, several individuals, accompanied by a film crew, entered the . . . library . . . openly carrying weapons. These individuals' presence inflicted fear . . . the Beverly Hills Village Council . . . plans to address this issue at its next meeting."
    Last edited by DanM; 08-15-2012 at 06:47 PM.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I'm definitely in.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

I agree, and since I am one of the aforementioned individuals who went by the library and was mentioned in their "incident" report. May I humbly suggest we also digress there as well to check out their selection of media on the US Constitution.

When is the next city council meeting?

That it does.

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post

this is just another example of the epic dumbness that oozes out of that cesspool.
    i sense another visit from a few good men in the near future.
    I sense the same thing.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Re: Birmingham considers gun ban? Will they every learn?

Yes good idea. May I also suggest targeting the foo foo events they have in the city such as concerts, movies in the park etc... that should keep them in the media spotlight...which is not where they want to be.

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both!
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I'm definitely in.
    Me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hevymetal View Post
    I agree, and since I am one of the aforementioned individuals who went by the library and was mentioned in their "incident" report. May I humbly suggest we also digress there as well to check out their selection of media on the US Constitution.
    Why was there a film crew? And don't they know they can't ban guns, in the city buildings? Have they not talked to the city of Ferndale? Also has the high paid city attorney not perused the case law on this and if not why do they pay him?

Maybe I missed something. Did we loose the CADL case?
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NHCGRPR45 View Post

Maybe I missed something. Did we loose the CADL case?
    AFAIK its still in up the air.

Banned
    Trick is, to get the CC sheep to grow a pair and exercise their rights, instead of hiding them, or abandoning them according to the anti game plan.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Trick is, to get the CC sheep to grow a pair and exercise their rights, instead of hiding them, or abandoning them according to the anti game plan.
    Care to take the lead on that? I have a CC and OC or CC depending on the circumstances.
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

Banned
    I don't CC and wouldn't if I could. Truthfully, I can't claim to have taken the lead as I wasn't first by a long shot, but I have a few converts under my belt.

I don't CC and wouldn't if I could. Truthfully, I can't claim to have taken the lead as I wasn't first by a long shot, but I have a few converts under my belt.
    Well I am sure someone will retrain them properly
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

Banned
    I dont like to, or even believe in CC. Leave that to the criminals.

I'm still waiting for you to back up your allegations with some credible facts.

Yet another good thread that will go under due to well....need I say more? Stainless please start a thread. I am sure the mods will make it a sticky for you. This way all the drama junkies can get their fix in one spot. Continue the crap slinging ...it helps everyone that is out to steal our freedom..

“A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Banned
    I dont want my own thread. I will stand my ground however./

I dont want my own thread. I will stand my ground however./
    Right, but you miss the big picture, it would keep good threads from getting trashed. Thus benefitting the entire community here and not just you. Not picking on you, you are who you are, but some here will never stop urinating your way and then you respond in kind, and the next thing you know we are all drowning in it...EEW!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
    Unless it actually requires you to stand your ground. You say you didn't commit the crime, but you caved to a plea. Not much ground standing there.
    You would have done the same. Someday, you probably will.
    And my point is proven... carry on as I know you will. Why can't you guys fight in PM's? Just saying...

I wouldnt open his PM.
    You win - I give up...! The concept is lost here....

Quote Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
    quitter!!!
    One would expect no less from you Pat. Carry on

<trying desperately to steer the discussion back on topic> What city events are in the works that would benefit from an OC presence? How about an OC meeting at the library?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast