• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Birmingham considers gun ban? Will they every learn?

Hevymetal

Channel 4 WDIV just had a news story that Birmingham is considering banning guns in their city hall, library, parks and wherever else they think they can get away with. This in response to the rash of open carriers they have been experiencing lately. Showing a backdrop to the commentary of Sean and some other OCers.

Hmmm.....Anyone else see this?

Maybe they never learned of preemption?

More of the "Not in our city" mentality?

Discuss.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
:banana::banana::banana::banana::monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey
this is just another example of the epic dumbness that oozes out of that cesspool.
i sense another visit from a few good men in the near future.

Last edited:

Yance

I guess this will go one of two ways, they will either learn from having more and MORE meeting of OCers in the city that they cant ban firearms, or, they will continue to ban firearms because more and MORE people are OCing in birmingham and then we will have to sue the city...either way OCers win. I dont think they understand this.

Though personally I like the fact that were bugging them ;)

DanM

At the City Commission meeting of 8/13 was an agenda item "VIII. COMMUNICATIONS . . . A. Baldwin Public Library, Library’s position on Michigan’s Open Carry Laws."
http://www.ci.birmingham.mi.us/index.aspx?recordid=6737&page=1329

Clicking on the "View Full Agenda" at the bottom of the above web-page, the PDF document that comes up has a sub-PDF named "8A BALDWIN PUBLIC LIBRARY" with a few interesting document images (toward the bottom). Here's the direct link:
http://www.ci.birmingham.mi.us/clientFTP/documents/agenda/commission/agenda.pdf

Excerpt:

Letter to Sen. Pappageorge and Rep. Moss, dated 7/18/2012: "On June 11, 2012, several individuals, accompanied by a film crew, entered the . . . library . . . openly carrying weapons. These individuals' presence inflicted fear . . . the Beverly Hills Village Council . . . plans to address this issue at its next meeting."

Last edited:

Hevymetal

Sounds like another city hall meeting is in order?

I agree, and since I am one of the aforementioned individuals who went by the library and was mentioned in their "incident" report. May I humbly suggest we also digress there as well to check out their selection of media on the US Constitution.

Phil McCracken

I'd like to get several copies of those "Michigan Open Carry Laws" to pass out.

An item I'm also expecting to see on their Agenda one day:

"Resoultion to pay warrant in the amount of $500,000.00 for the settlement of the Federal Civil Rights violation suit brought against the Defendant City of Birmingham, it's Police Department, and the individual officers named in the suit."

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

I'm definitely in.

Me as well.

I agree, and since I am one of the aforementioned individuals who went by the library and was mentioned in their "incident" report. May I humbly suggest we also digress there as well to check out their selection of media on the US Constitution.

Why was there a film crew? And don't they know they can't ban guns, in the city buildings? Have they not talked to the city of Ferndale? Also has the high paid city attorney not perused the case law on this and if not why do they pay him?

Maybe I missed something. Did we loose the CADL case?

Phil McCracken

Yes good idea. May I also suggest targeting the foo foo events they have in the city such as concerts, movies in the park etc... that should keep them in the media spotlight...which is not where they want to be. ;)

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

I'll be at the Dream Cruise this weekend. No problems last year. Maybe they'll want to help my financial situation this year.

Phil McCracken

Why was there a film crew? And don't they know they can't ban guns, in the city buildings? Have they not talked to the city of Ferndale? Also has the high paid city attorney not perused the case law on this and if not why do they pay him?

Maybe I missed something. Did we loose the CADL case?

Actually what it appears that they are trying to do is get legislation passed to add libraries to the PFZ list, because they are scared by open carry. But they don't realize, and maybe I shouldn't say this, but if they do that then they are guaranteed to see only OC.