• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan Pistols question

Michigander

the AK-47 Underfolder would qualify as it is only 25 7/8 inches long when folded..

Federal law measures minimal long gun length with folding stocks open, Michigan measures it with them closed. The under folder is illegal in Michigan without a longer barrel to keep the OAL over 26" closed.

Which again is why I suggest starting out with a 16" barreled AK pistol, then adding a quick detach stock.

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

My friend has a CNC shop and a manufactures license. The buffer tube has been slightly shortend and so has the bolt carrier. Also a collasepable stock that looks very similar to a HK MP5 stock that attaches to the slip ring at the front of the upper reciever is used brining the total length to 29.7 inches. When he has a final product and if he wants i'll post pictures.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
the original Michigan pistol law was ,, longer,, 27? inches.
My AK-47 side folder qualified then...

The new law 26 inches doesnt work for my gun,,, but
the AK-47 Underfolder would qualify as it is only 25 7/8 inches long when folded..

I believe that they can still be registered as pistols until January 1, 2013.

Michigander

I believe that they can still be registered as pistols until January 1, 2013.

If they rush through the elimination of the pistol registration as it looks like they might, perhaps not.

And depending on interpretation of the law, if registration is eliminated, it may or may not mean anything if you do manage to register them before whatever ends up being the cut off date.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
If they rush through the elimination of the pistol registration as it looks like they might, perhaps not.

And depending on interpretation of the law, if registration is eliminated, it may or may not mean anything if you do manage to register them before whatever ends up being the cut off date.

Very valid concerns.