• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some clarification on vehicle carry please.

Shadetreezj

Campaign Veteran
I have a holster permanently mounted to the side of my center console in my Jeep. I stow my handgun there when tooling around, as my bolstered seats add a degree of discomfort while wearing it on my hip, and with 5 point harnesses, I wouldn't be able to draw if needed.

My question is this;

Does anything prevent me from carrying like this? Open, in plain sight when my doors are off. I live in Denver. I understand the castle rule makes my vehicle an extension of my home, but I do not want to set myself up for some open carry scenario to a Denver cop.

I usually just place my hat on it, as it will blow off of my head anyway, and nobody would be the wiser.

Thoughts?

mobiushky

I have a holster permanently mounted to the side of my center console in my Jeep. I stow my handgun there when tooling around, as my bolstered seats add a degree of discomfort while wearing it on my hip, and with 5 point harnesses, I wouldn't be able to draw if needed.

My question is this;

Does anything prevent me from carrying like this? Open, in plain sight when my doors are off. I live in Denver. I understand the castle rule makes my vehicle an extension of my home, but I do not want to set myself up for some open carry scenario to a Denver cop.

I usually just place my hat on it, as it will blow off of my head anyway, and nobody would be the wiser.

Thoughts?

Are you asking for legal responses or social responses? Legally you can do whatever you want in the car. Even leave it open on the seat next to you. Now from a society aspect, you may want to cover it only because you don't want a seedy character to see it and maybe try to steal it. But in CO I don't think anyone would even flinch at it.

Shadetreezj

Campaign Veteran
Thanks, That's what I thought. There are so many exceptions to every rule with 389 subparts, and crap, I figured that I would ask if someone might offer up some tribal knowledge that might save me some from receiving a load of static.

The only person I care about seeing it is a cop in Denver, if said subpart (that would get me in a jam) exists.

Deciphering the laws to me, is like pouring a gallon of knowledge into a shotglass of a brain. Something is going to spill out.

Apologies in advance if these newb questions are a thorn.

Keens

Your vehicle is an extension of your home, so you can carry however you want. Pistols are no problem, CC or OC in vehicle, no problem. Rifles/shotguns however cannot have a round chambered, but can have a loaded magazine.

In Denver, you have to CC outside the vehicle. I personally CC if I'm in Denver territory. There is a thingy about OC on private public property, but I don't personally risk it, even though I do have a CHP. I just try my hardest to stay the hell out of Denver territory. I OC through Denver in my vehicle, but once I step out of my vehicle
in Denver, I CC. I forget to CC sometimes! ;) Sometimes its just that "oh s**t!, opps! Forgot to cover up Miss Smith! ;)

Keens

Last edited:

O2HeN2

Preemption to the rescue!

Once again, preemption to the rescue! Now, what I don't know is if this is ignored in Denver like the OC preemption.

CRS 18-12-105.6. Limitation on local ordinances regarding firearms in private vehicles

(1) The general assembly hereby finds that:

(a) A person carrying a weapon in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance for hunting or for lawful protection of such person's or another's person or property, as permitted in sections 18-12-105 (2) (b) and 18-12-105.5 (3) (c), may tend to travel within a county, city and county, or municipal jurisdiction or in or through different county, city and county, and municipal jurisdictions, en route to the person's destination;

(b) Inconsistent laws exist in local jurisdictions with regard to the circumstances under which weapons may be carried in automobiles and other private means of conveyance;

(c) This inconsistency creates a confusing patchwork of laws that unfairly subjects a person who lawfully travels with a weapon to criminal penalties because he or she travels within a jurisdiction or into or through another jurisdiction;

(d) This inconsistency places citizens in the position of not knowing when they may be violating local laws while traveling within a jurisdiction or in, through, or between different jurisdictions, and therefore being unable to avoid committing a crime.

(2) (a) Based on the findings specified in subsection (1) of this section, the general assembly concludes that the carrying of weapons in private automobiles or other private means of conveyance for hunting or for lawful protection of a person's or another's person or property while traveling into, through, or within, a municipal, county, or city and county jurisdiction, regardless of the number of times the person stops in a jurisdiction, is a matter of statewide concern and is not an offense.

(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no municipality, county, or city and county shall have the authority to enact or enforce any ordinance or resolution that would restrict a person's ability to travel with a weapon in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance for hunting or for lawful protection of a person's or another's person or property while traveling into, through, or within, a municipal, county, or city and county jurisdiction, regardless of the number of times the person stops in a jurisdiction.

Last edited:

kanekutter05

Sometimes its just that "oh s**t!, opps! Forgot to cover up Miss Smith! ;)

What kind of gun is Miss Smith? :lol: That's quite a name for a firearm...it's a very dainty name but comical! Nobody wants to get shot by Miss Smith haha

And please tell me it's a 44 magnum or something...that would be the icing on the cake!