• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you carry 24/7

ScottE

Just wondering how often people carry. Do you carry 24/7, meaning every waking moment, around the house, in your yard, etc. Or only when you leave your property?

I ask thinking of a home invasion. Wouldn't you want your gun at your side, and not locked in a safe at the other end of the house?

Firearms Iinstuctor

98 percent of the time. Around the house when dressed I have a gun on, the other times there is one near by.

There are time when in gun free zones that one can not carry. Flying, schools ect that one can't.

But as much as I can I have one.

twoskinsonemanns

100% of the time I am physically and legally able.

For me the times I consider physically unable are in the shower,...hmm I was going to make a list but I guess that's really it.
For me the legally unable time are mainly when I'm forced to travel travel to Maryland, or to pick up the kid from school.

Yes I consider my self OCing when sleeping. When I go to bed I take off my holster and put it away. Then I open the small "night stand" safe and slide that gun out onto the door exactly my arms length away while sleeping.

ScottE

Thanks for the responses. I figured carrying all the time was the most logical thing to do.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
You all are probably aware that we have had a great rash of "home invasions" in Washington State. Yes, all home invasions happen at home. Will I have enough time to get to my weapon?? Yes, I will, because it is always by my side.

sudden valley gunner

You all are probably aware that we have had a great rash of "home invasions" in Washington State. Yes, all home invasions happen at home. Will I have enough time to get to my weapon?? Yes, I will, because it is always by my side.

I pity the fool who breaks into your home.........no I don't.

Aknazer

I would say I carry about 80% of the time that I'm legally able to. That other 20% is around the house and either I'm simply walking around in clothing not suitable for carrying, or I left my gun at the computer desk (taken off because it digs into my waist when sitting) and got up to take care of something. When I leave the house I carry 100% when legally able.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
It goes on with the pants in the morning, comes off with the pants at night, and when off at home, it is usually within easy reach. There are a few places I don't carry, and then it is locked in a safe in the vehicle.

As others have stated, 100% of home invasions occur in the home.

Random thought: I wonder if the State of Washington considers my riding lawn mower as vehicle carry?

Vitaeus

RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

wouldn't matter until you hit teh property line or a public road.

EMNofSeattle

I'm 19, and my State (Washington) prohibits carry by people under 21 unless an exception under RCW 9.41.060 allows it (basically if i'm at home or work or in the forest hiking or fishing or something like that). So I only carry when I'm at home or hiking. once I turn 21 I will probably be carrying about 90% of the time, but I also plan on getting a CPL. I suppose it really depends upon the firearm(s) I have. If I can buy a smaller pistol like a glock 19 or a para ordnance carry-9 I'd carry concealed. since my only pistol right now is a S&W Model 10, if I turn 21 and don't buy another pistol I'd OC because it's not even worth it to try to conceal a duty size revolver with a 5'' barrel

EMNofSeattle

Although I do carry an empty holster in public as a protest sometimes. I've almost thought about buying one of those blue rubber training dummies so I can come to OC events and look like a dork.... :eek:

mpgnc64

It is on my hip or in my waistband. In the shower or in bed it is within arms reach. I have CC'ed in "Gun Free" areas, I know it is wrong but have come to the conclusion that I would rather risk a misdemeanor than the safety of myself and my family.

Before I am criticized for carrying in no weapons areas, I also, speed, roll thru stop signs, ect.

Frantic84

It is on my hip or in my waistband. In the shower or in bed it is within arms reach. I have CC'ed in "Gun Free" areas, I know it is wrong but have come to the conclusion that I would rather risk a misdemeanor than the safety of myself and my family.

Before I am criticized for carrying in no weapons areas, I also, speed, roll thru stop signs, ect.

not to be a A****** but "anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law", even worse in a court of public opinion. Your statement implies an admission of guilt. As this is a public forum have no doubt that they (the lawmen) will have no problem getting such statement admitted into court.

Last edited:

mpgnc64

I do understand and appreciate the info, I'm a big boy and can handle a $50 fine. As for the lawmen, I think they may have bigger fish to fry.

Don't get me wrong, I know you are just looking out for me and others who may not be informed.

My truck has been broken into a few times and I am glad I did'nt leave my firearm in it for some lowlife to use on some unsuspecting law abiding citizens.

I have carried a firearm in over 25 countries, I am well versed in this countrys laws as well as the ones I have worked in.

New rules in Afghanistan are to carry a loaded weapon. The rule in Iraq was to carry them unloaded, but all the guys I knew had a least a round in the chamber and no mag in the well. Against the rules, Yes, But still the safer thing to do.

Battleborn Billy

all the time.whenever im driving, shopping, walking down the street, or relaxing at home i got my ruger sr9 at my side. when i sleep, its at arms length next to the bed. I try not to go places where i cant carry but sometimes you got to.