• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Curious Texan

baseballguy2001

Lone Star Veteran
Hey all --

Our legislature has twice let open carry bills die, but we are still trying. I'm curious, how many are open carrying now after the recent shootings around the country? I know Virginia is a fairly large state, but is it more difficult to carry in a big city as opposed to a rural area? Are law enforcers educated? Do restaurants have signs that say NO FIREARMS? Sorry to sound like a total noob. I've had my CHL in Texas for years now and it would be so nice on a day like today (104 degrees today) NOT to have an extra layer on to conceal my weapon. As another poster has said -- Carry on.

Tanner

Hey all --

I know Virginia is a fairly large state, but is it more difficult to carry in a big city as opposed to a rural area? Are law enforcers educated? Do restaurants have signs that say NO FIREARMS?

Today was the first time I OCed in the city... Dident seem harder. Its not like the gun gained 20lbs. And the cops are self educated about the law. So you can imagine how that works out. And I cant really say if there are alot of no firearms signs. Im sure others will chime in.

kord

I live and mostly carry in the city, Virginia Beach (don't get out as often as I would like to) There are a few places that aren't gun friendly but there are those that are supportive. I guess I'm lucky because I can open carry at work and all the LEO's I have come across are knowledgeable about the carry laws and even gave me directions on which building I needed to go to to submit for my CHP.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I live and mostly carry in the city, Virginia Beach (don't get out as often as I would like to) There are a few places that aren't gun friendly but there are those that are supportive. I guess I'm lucky because I can open carry at work and all the LEO's I have come across are knowledgeable about the carry laws and even gave me directions on which building I needed to go to to submit for my CHP.

I OC and CC daily.. I CC at places like the mall, and places I have heard may have a sign.. but I never look for a sign or what credit cards they take or what their hours are as well.

va_tazdad

Some days

I have had very little problem OC but then the places I go know me and that I carry a gun. I avoid the known anti-gun establishments that post signs. I have no problems spending my money elsewhere.

CC is not an option for me when it gets above 75 because I don't wear a coat.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Most cops in most localities (urban, suburban, rural) know enough of the law that they do not try to throw around their authoritay. Every once in a while you will get one that thinks they are better at deciding what the law is than the General Assembly. Most of the time their behavior is not outrageously egregious such as proning someone out on the roadside. The few cases that are reported to involve criminal charges generally get resolved in favor of the OCer - but only after time, money and emotional turmoil are spent. Lawsuits can result in money but one never gets the time back.

When the local LEO tries to throw their weight around it usually results in their boss being contacted - either informally or formally - in an attempt to correct the misapprenension the local LEO was laboring under. Very often VCDL will be a part of that activity, as well as organizing "shows of force" at local government meetings when the problem lingers at the LEA level.

My experience is that very few restaurants have "No Guns" signs. And thank goodness we do not have 30.06 signage like you Texicans or there would be no room on the walls to post the daily specials.:D The places that are unfriendly to OC are reported here on OCDO and via VCDL. Folks then stay away from them.

I've always wondered why Texas, of all places, outlawed open carry. Especially when I believe the phrases "BBQ gun" and "court gun" came from Texas. For some reason we do not have women stampeding and horses fainting at the sight of an oenly carried firearm. Is the water different in Texas?

stay safe.

Steeler-gal

I OC and CC daily.. I CC at places like the mall, and places I have heard may have a sign.. but I never look for a sign or what credit cards they take or what their hours are as well.

Sorta piggy backing on this. I OC or CC daily. I don't look for signs and if I NEED to go someplace that I know is Anti I go CC. I haven't come across too many places with a sign and only asked to leave 1 place.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Tanner

Sorta piggy backing on this. I OC or CC daily. I don't look for signs and if I NEED to go someplace that I know is Anti I go CC. I haven't come across too many places with a sign and only asked to leave 1 place.

Yea and to quote something I saw on this site " its better to ask for forgiveness than permission" from what I understand it is only tresspassing if you refuse to leave once asked to leave.

Steeler-gal

Yea and to quote something I saw on this site " its better to ask for forgiveness than permission" from what I understand it is only tresspassing if you refuse to leave once asked to leave.

That is my understanding too.

cwolfs69

pretty much sums it up for me also. i OC almost always, helps to get conversations started and educate, but at the mall etc or where a sign i CC and go on about my business. Very few places with signs up. When i find a busineww with a sign the first thing i do is ask them "why they only let criminals carry guns in there" and then try to educate on the extra safety factor of allowing law abiding carry.

mpguy

I live in Suffolk, Va and have only been asked to conceal it once, since I started to carry. That was a baseball field my daughter was doing kids soft ball.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mbhudson

i guess it depends on where in va from my understanding in nova (northern va) and the closer your get to DC the more difficult it can be but im in lynchburg and the area around here is pretty open minded and police are fairly well educated I get questions form time to time but usually its more about interest than fear