Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Visiting Mass

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    209

    Visiting Mass

    Hi everyone, tomorrow my girlfriend and I will be driving to Mass to visit her family in Acton. We live in Ohio which is an open carry state, although I have my permit to carry concealed, which I know Massachusetts does not honor.

    However I would like to know if it is worth me bringing my handgun? My understanding of the vehicle laws seems pretty similar to Ohio's.....cannot carry a loader weapon in a vehicle without a permit.....but what about just every day walking around? Is it worth while to open carry? Are there any laws on ammo capacity for open carry, can I have a round chambered? Do police there tend to harass those who carry openly?


    Pretty much what would I need to know in order to keep my gun on me while I am there? I've looked it up but I am not finding too much and I am on my phone so it is easier to get clarification from the fine members here.



    Thanks a lot I appreciate all of the help.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    , Ohio, USA
    Posts
    291
    Wow, not even one response. I too have a trip coming up to this not so fine State. Now I'm thinking we might be safer going to Florida. Apparently being set up to be a victim is a popular idea there.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by JSlack7851 View Post
    Wow, not even one response. I too have a trip coming up to this not so fine State. Now I'm thinking we might be safer going to Florida. Apparently being set up to be a victim is a popular idea there.
    Yep, 150 some views and no one bothered to respond. It was absolutely beautiful there, but I could never live due to the lack of 2A rights.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    MA... I know, I know.. :(
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hareuhal View Post
    Hi everyone, tomorrow my girlfriend and I will be driving to Mass to visit her family in Acton. We live in Ohio which is an open carry state, although I have my permit to carry concealed, which I know Massachusetts does not honor.

    However I would like to know if it is worth me bringing my handgun? My understanding of the vehicle laws seems pretty similar to Ohio's.....cannot carry a loader weapon in a vehicle without a permit.....but what about just every day walking around? Is it worth while to open carry? Are there any laws on ammo capacity for open carry, can I have a round chambered? Do police there tend to harass those who carry openly?


    Pretty much what would I need to know in order to keep my gun on me while I am there? I've looked it up but I am not finding too much and I am on my phone so it is easier to get clarification from the fine members here.



    Thanks a lot I appreciate all of the help.


    Hello,

    First you must have a non-resident "License to Carry" issued by the police department of what ever town you are visiting.

    There is no distinction between loaded or unloaded, large or low capacity, concealed or open while on foot so long as you have the permit with "no restrictions" This was relayed to me upon issuance of my 2a rights.

    In your vehicle the gun must be "in your direct control" meaning you must be able to touch it basically, or in a locked container.

    I hope this helps and enjoy you trip to our beautiful prison... ..ermm state.
    Last edited by MyColdDeadHand; 08-29-2012 at 09:01 PM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member snatale42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by MyColdDeadHand View Post
    Hello,

    First you must have a non-resident "License to Carry" issued by the police department of what ever town you are visiting.

    There is no distinction between loaded or unloaded, large or low capacity, concealed or open while on foot so long as you have the permit with "no restrictions" This was relayed to me upon issuance of my 2a rights.

    In your vehicle the gun must be "in your direct control" meaning you must be able to touch it basically, or in a locked container.

    I hope this helps and enjoy you trip to our beautiful prison... ..ermm state.

    Sorry but this is very wrong. First a Non-Resident is issued their permit from the State Police via the FRB, not a local city/town PD.
    This IS a distinction between large and low capacity. That is the difference between an LTC-A and LTC-B
    YES Open Carry IS legal in MA, BUT if you do it, expect to wind up surrounded by police, and go through a LOT of problems. I'd also expect to loose the permit over it.
    You also left out that MA has a high cap mag ban, it must be a pre-ban mag if it's over 10rds.

    I'd advise you to familiarize yourself with MA's stupid laws before you give an out of stater advice that could get him in a lot of trouble.
    Last edited by snatale42; 09-07-2012 at 09:06 AM.

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543

    Visiting Mass

    Quote Originally Posted by Hareuhal View Post
    Yep, 150 some views and no one bothered to respond. It was absolutely beautiful there, but I could never live due to the lack of 2A rights.
    That's cause no one who appreciates their 2nd Amendment rights lives there....
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  7. #7
    Regular Member snatale42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Hareuhal View Post
    Yep, 150 some views and no one bothered to respond. It was absolutely beautiful there, but I could never live due to the lack of 2A rights.
    How many people from MA do you think are on an open carry forum when they can't Open Carry in their state without the world coming to an end? If you want info from MA resident go to a forums that has MA residents!

    http://www.northeastshooters.com

    NO shortage of information. I'm on here because I move out of MA and now live in a free state.


    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    That's cause no one who appreciates their 2nd Amendment rights lives there....
    I'd love to know what that's based on! There are a lot more gun owners in MA than most would think. In fact there were more Ranges, Clubs and Gun shops where I lived in MA, than there is here in VA!

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543

    Visiting Mass

    Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    How many people from MA do you think are on an open carry forum when they can't Open Carry in their state without the world coming to an end? If you want info from MA resident go to a forums that has MA residents!

    http://www.northeastshooters.com

    NO shortage of information. I'm on here because I move out of MA and now live in a free state.




    I'd love to know what that's based on! There are a lot more gun owners in MA than most would think. In fact there were more Ranges, Clubs and Gun shops where I lived in MA, than there is here in VA!
    Haha, just a little sarcasm....
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  9. #9
    Regular Member Jay Jacobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canton, GA
    Posts
    100
    I'll be in Boston on business this weekend. I have a Georgia CCW but as i understand it MA does not honor any other states permits.
    From what I gather even though open carry is not specifically prohibited in MA it seems to be so discouraged that it might as well be.

    I had all but decided to just leave my pistol at home when I ran across a MA state law that caught my attention.

    Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs;...


    I'm no lawyer but what, legally speaking, would prevent a non resident with an out of state permit being stopped from simply claiming he's en route to a gun show?



    Edit: I found the answer to my question on the other website mentioned above. There is a gotcha in the law. "...or who have been convicted of the unlawful use..." The issuing state would have to refuse issuance for even a misdemeanor drug offense for this law to apply.
    Last edited by Jay Jacobs; 09-12-2013 at 07:08 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Cow Town, Tn.
    Posts
    43
    Going to visit my Coast Guard son in a couple of weeks. I've been a carry permit holder for 25 years and was reading the gun laws of Mass., think that I'll just leave the gun home and just pack the bible instead. Being a non resident of Mass., looks like all I have to protect myself in a situation is a prayer. Just got through reading Emily Gets Her Gun by Emily Miller. This is a good read and full of interesting info.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Kopis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    727
    I have a friend from Mass, he has told me horror stories. He'd say leave your gun at home too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •