Thread: Unattended vehicle clarification

Unattended vehicle clarification

As I understand it, in an unattended vehicle....

1. Loaded pistol MUST be out of sight, and doors locked.
    2. UNloaded pistol may be in plain sight (law says loaded pistol...................must be out of view)
    3. Rifle may be in plain sight, but not loaded.

Sound right?
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

I believe you are correct. I would not leave a visible firearm if I was going to leave the vehicle unattended, but that is just me.

I too believe you are correct.

Then again, there's a difference between what's legal and what's smart.

Leaving an unattended vehicle with a visible firearm in it is asking for a problem. If not from the law then at least from the "lawless".

On the latter, it's been a long time since I've seen a gun rack in the back window of a pickup truck, at least outside of Wyoming or Montana.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

It's funny because about three weeks ago I saw a pickup in Bonney Lake with a gun rack. It was parked and there was a rifle in the rack. I had actually wondered about this same question in regards to long guns.
    The last time I saw a gun rack was probably last winter in Auburn.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post

2. UNloaded pistol may be in plain sight (law says loaded pistol...................must be out of view)

Sound right?
    Of course #2 & #3 doesn't work well with my Jeep when the top is down.....
    Live Free or Die!

Leaving any firearm in plain view in an unattended vehicle is just asking to get your car broken into. If at all possible, just do not leave a firearm in any vehicle at any time in any condition.

That is the reason I will not patronize a business that will not let my carry in with me...I just absolutely will not leave my weapon in the car, legal or not.

Many years ago I never locked my car (or my house) up. Well one day I came out from the grocery store and found some low life digging around in my car...after breaked a few of his bones, I let the police take him in for car prowel and assault. He had a long list of arrests...I began locking my car up after that. (I was just out of the military and fairly fit back then)

What I consider plain view and what an officer wants to arrest you for are different things.

Hence the clarification.

Unless the guy is laying on the ground, he won't be able to see the weapon, but of course, the officer is gonna say it's 'readily visible'.... Even if it's not plainly/clearly there.

Much like I could get a case in the exact cutout shape/size of a pistol, then put my pistol in the case. Technically, it's in a case, so it's legal, but everyone will know what it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g5010.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	9099
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoWeenie View Post

Sound right?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Unloaded pistol in plain view in a locked vehicle! in this day and age it will grow legs and run off.

Locked with in the vehicle can be achieved by placing a lock box in the jeep or a vehicle that for what ever reason the door do not lock, windows roll up and still meet the locked within the vehicle and concealed from view elements.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
    TechnoWeenie pic of suggestion mounting a weapon to the roof? What you dream up while sleeping never make much sense after you wake up Wake Up!
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post

TechnoWeenie pic of suggestion mounting a weapon to the roof? What you dream up while sleeping never make much sense after you wake up Wake Up!
    Actually, there are several "mounts" that secure a rifle/shotgun to the roof of a vehicle. They work great in SUV/Pickups and more than one AR has been carried in mounts like this.

Someone already developed this while TechnoWeenie was sleeping.

Of course we're talking the roof of the vehicle's INTERIOR. For the outside I'd suggest a Thule ski carrier as it's the right size for a Barrett.
    Last edited by amlevin; 08-21-2012 at 11:34 AM.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

I already have the mount and lock.

They're made by Pro-gard, although big sky makes them too.

Name:	Products5120-700x700-597191.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	9115

Of course I have this....

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    http://www.quadratec.com/products/14040_0001_07.htm

Name:	132252-lg.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	9116
    Live Free or Die!