• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unattended vehicle clarification

TechnoWeenie

As I understand it, in an unattended vehicle....

1. Loaded pistol MUST be out of sight, and doors locked.
2. UNloaded pistol may be in plain sight (law says loaded pistol...................must be out of view)
3. Rifle may be in plain sight, but not loaded.

Sound right?

Jeff Hayes

I believe you are correct. I would not leave a visible firearm if I was going to leave the vehicle unattended, but that is just me.

amlevin

I too believe you are correct.

Then again, there's a difference between what's legal and what's smart.

Leaving an unattended vehicle with a visible firearm in it is asking for a problem. If not from the law then at least from the "lawless".

On the latter, it's been a long time since I've seen a gun rack in the back window of a pickup truck, at least outside of Wyoming or Montana.

decklin

It's funny because about three weeks ago I saw a pickup in Bonney Lake with a gun rack. It was parked and there was a rifle in the rack. I had actually wondered about this same question in regards to long guns.
The last time I saw a gun rack was probably last winter in Auburn.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

2. UNloaded pistol may be in plain sight (law says loaded pistol...................must be out of view)

Sound right?

Of course #2 & #3 doesn't work well with my Jeep when the top is down.....

hermannr

Leaving any firearm in plain view in an unattended vehicle is just asking to get your car broken into. If at all possible, just do not leave a firearm in any vehicle at any time in any condition.

That is the reason I will not patronize a business that will not let my carry in with me...I just absolutely will not leave my weapon in the car, legal or not.

Many years ago I never locked my car (or my house) up. Well one day I came out from the grocery store and found some low life digging around in my car...after breaked a few of his bones, I let the police take him in for car prowel and assault. He had a long list of arrests...I began locking my car up after that. (I was just out of the military and fairly fit back then)

TechnoWeenie

What I consider plain view and what an officer wants to arrest you for are different things.

Hence the clarification.

Unless the guy is laying on the ground, he won't be able to see the weapon, but of course, the officer is gonna say it's 'readily visible'.... Even if it's not plainly/clearly there.

Much like I could get a case in the exact cutout shape/size of a pistol, then put my pistol in the case. Technically, it's in a case, so it's legal, but everyone will know what it is.

g5010.jpg

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

Sound right?

Of course #2 & #3 doesn't work well with my Jeep when the top is down.....

Unloaded pistol in plain view in a locked vehicle! in this day and age it will grow legs and run off.

Locked with in the vehicle can be achieved by placing a lock box in the jeep or a vehicle that for what ever reason the door do not lock, windows roll up and still meet the locked within the vehicle and concealed from view elements.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

TechnoWeenie pic of suggestion mounting a weapon to the roof? What you dream up while sleeping never make much sense after you wake up :lol: Wake Up!

amlevin

TechnoWeenie pic of suggestion mounting a weapon to the roof? What you dream up while sleeping never make much sense after you wake up :lol: Wake Up!

Actually, there are several "mounts" that secure a rifle/shotgun to the roof of a vehicle. They work great in SUV/Pickups and more than one AR has been carried in mounts like this.

Someone already developed this while TechnoWeenie was sleeping.

Of course we're talking the roof of the vehicle's INTERIOR. For the outside I'd suggest a Thule ski carrier as it's the right size for a Barrett.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

I already have the mount and lock.

They're made by Pro-gard, although big sky makes them too.

Products5120-700x700-597191.jpg