• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry "G" License

WRX

I personally would be all for open carry.

But if it remains the current way, there's nothing wrong with concealed carry, as long as they fix the law on "brief" exposures. (Current case pending, you all know about)

There has been plenty of times where I've been down for some reason, and my shirt has exposed my firearm, but for no longer then 20 seconds, as I fix my shirt as soon as I stand up.

The main thing that I want to be able to open carry for is my job, I work as a armed security officer, and when off duty, I have to conceal my firearm.

To me, this is a huge safety risk, and I feel unsafe at times, if I have to go into a public building I.E gas stations, shopping plaza's, etc, because I'm still in full uniform, with my duty belt, holster, etc, with no firearm.

So if something were to happen, I'm unarmed, and exposed.

From a distance, you wouldn't be able to tell what my profession is, and I may be targeted first automatically.

For %99 I try not to go anywhere but to and from work in uniform, for the main reasons I just stated, but there is times when I do.

Before you say "Remove your uniform before entering a building", yes I could do that when coming home from duty, but going, it takes a good amount of time to remove my duty belt, uniform, etc, and I still do have my tac pants and boots on.

So, my main concern would be for allowing licensed officers to carry openly to and from work, instead of having to conceal.

Another question I have, are business's employee's on their property aloud to "Open Carry" without a "G" License?, what's the point of a G License if we as Security Officers are only aloud to "Open Carry" On PRIVATE property as well?

Rich7553

Another question I have, are business's employee's on their property aloud to "Open Carry" without a "G" License?, what's the point of a G License if we as Security Officers are only aloud to "Open Carry" On PRIVATE property as well?

Yes. 790.25(3) states that the provisions of 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply at one's home or place of business. Case law has established that the place of business exception extends to employees as well as the owner. However the business owner may not want his employees open carrying, or carrying at all while at work, possibly due to liability issues. If he hires a security company who provides a G licensee, then the liability is in part or in whole on the security company should something happen.

shastadude17

A little over a year ago, 493 was changed to allow you to carry your duty weapon to and from work as well. It allows for a reasonable stop, such as at a gas station/convenience store to remain armed so long as you are on duty or going to-or-from duty.

I worked at a high profile security agency in the Tampa bay area and this was common practice. On your way to work, stop and grab a cup of coffee or some snacky cakes, go inside to pay for gas, etc. It's reasonable and was never hassled for it. Ran into LEO's several times in gas stations on my way to or from work, never an issue. Now, don't go inside and hang out, but if you are legitimately traveling to or from your duty site you should be good to go.

My suggestion would be to review your agency's policy on this, but know that you are within the limits of a very vague law. It's basically the equivalent of SB234 or whatever it is that says you can't be arrested for OC for "brief exposure". I'm sure there are LEO's out there who have a huge problem with security officers and would like nothing more than to arrest one for really doing nothing wrong, but I'd take my chances with running into him rather than being in uniform with a badge and an empty holster in a gas station at 1:30 in the morning.

Hope this helps.

WRX

So because your an armed security guard and you decided that you want to stop off at a 7-11 on the way home and you are in uniform you want special privileges?

I'm not sure if this is a "Troll Question"?

To answer, Yes.

I do believe that a licensed professional hired for specifically a job carrying a weapon, should be able to stay armed while in uniform, while traveling to and from duty.

A little over a year ago, 493 was changed to allow you to carry your duty weapon to and from work as well. It allows for a reasonable stop, such as at a gas station/convenience store to remain armed so long as you are on duty or going to-or-from duty.

I worked at a high profile security agency in the Tampa bay area and this was common practice. On your way to work, stop and grab a cup of coffee or some snacky cakes, go inside to pay for gas, etc. It's reasonable and was never hassled for it. Ran into LEO's several times in gas stations on my way to or from work, never an issue. Now, don't go inside and hang out, but if you are legitimately traveling to or from your duty site you should be good to go.

My suggestion would be to review your agency's policy on this, but know that you are within the limits of a very vague law. It's basically the equivalent of SB234 or whatever it is that says you can't be arrested for OC for "brief exposure". I'm sure there are LEO's out there who have a huge problem with security officers and would like nothing more than to arrest one for really doing nothing wrong, but I'd take my chances with running into him rather than being in uniform with a badge and an empty holster in a gas station at 1:30 in the morning.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this response, I heard something to this, but from what I interpreted, this wasn't an option anymore.

I looked up the statue, to me, it doesn't seem like it permits carrying while to or from work, I might just not be understanding it correctly.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/493.6115

Last edited:

Phoenix David

I'm not sure if this is a "Troll Question"?

To answer, Yes.

I do believe that a licensed professional hired for specifically a job carrying a weapon, should be able to stay armed while in uniform, while traveling to and from duty.

No it was not a troll question, I was curious what your answer would be and it's what I expected.

You gave a typical answer where as long as you get special privileges, the hell with everyone else.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
...as long as you get special privileges, the hell with everyone else.

Exactly why every right transformed into a privilege will never become a right again. Americans get off on holding their fellow man down. It's how you make money there... This behavior is fostered in every aspect of American society in order to make people self-subjugating. Hate is not Profit. Hate is not Capitalism. But with the right propaganda, you can make it look that way and get all the sheepublicans on board with whatever sick plan you have.

"I'm specialer than you and I'm going to keep it that way! Government is my friend for giving me my specialer-than-you card and I'm not giving up my superiority over you!"

You can't take a right away from people you hate... And that is (one of several reasons) why America is dead. If you don't support the same rights for people you hate, that double-edged sword will come back on you in the next election. Hate is for the weak, and they reap what they sow.

WRX

No it was not a troll question, I was curious what your answer would be and it's what I expected.

You gave a typical answer where as long as you get special privileges, the hell with everyone else.

I'm not sure where you're direction is pointing?

You're making it sound as if I SOLELY want to get the "Special Privileges" to openly carry on duty, TO and FROM work, maybe you misunderstood or took something the wrong way, but I would want the law changed for all "G" Licensed officers.

There's nothing more I can say on the subject, I posted my thoughts, and asked a question pertaining to them, I'm not here to debate the matter, I'm here to find out facts.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I'm not sure where you're direction is pointing?

You're making it sound as if I SOLELY want to get the "Special Privileges" to openly carry on duty, TO and FROM work, maybe you misunderstood or took something the wrong way, but I would want the law changed for all "G" Licensed officers.

4387-poker-face.png

996twint

A G licensed co-worker was stopped on the way home from work the other night and was harassed by a LEO for still having his duty weapon on. Where in 493 does it say you can carry to and from work? I checked and couldn't find it.

shastadude17

A G licensed co-worker was stopped on the way home from work the other night and was harassed by a LEO for still having his duty weapon on. Where in 493 does it say you can carry to and from work? I checked and couldn't find it.

This was so long ago, I can't recall. But it's either in there or in case law, I forget. This hasn't applied to or affected me for some time so forgive me, and for all I know it may have gotten changed again.

GHF

Off-Duty Carry with A G

I have had a G license since 2005, and a CWFL since 2000. Since I use my own gun, I simply remove my uniform, and carry concealed when off post. Would do the same, if a gun was issued to me 24/7. Do not like using a site gun, since I do not know its reliability.

Wearing a uniform, armed or unarmed, invites somebody shooting you because you are security, especially if you are not on post where the confrontation goes down. Last year in the Orlando area, there was a D guard in uniform standing on the corner waiting for the bus to take him to work, and he got shot when somebody pulled away from the light.

Last edited:

MedWheeler

In the weeks following the Sandy Hook tragedy, I noticed that a father of another child who attends the same preschool my daughter does was arriving each afternoon to pick up his child while in full duty armed security uniform, complete with sidearm. As neat and crisp as he appears, it would seem to me that he is on his way to work, and stopping to pick up his son, presumably to drop him off somewhere.

I don't believe this falls within the "acceptable" limits of a "brief" stop while traveling to or from a duty assignment, but I don't think anyone at the school had any issue with it! :D

Rich7553

In the weeks following the Sandy Hook tragedy, I noticed that a father of another child who attends the same preschool my daughter does was arriving each afternoon to pick up his child while in full duty armed security uniform, complete with sidearm. As neat and crisp as he appears, it would seem to me that he is on his way to work, and stopping to pick up his son, presumably to drop him off somewhere.

I don't believe this falls within the "acceptable" limits of a "brief" stop while traveling to or from a duty assignment, but I don't think anyone at the school had any issue with it! :D

I'm not aware of any provision of Florida law which permits armed guards to carry inside a school.

shastadude17

I'm not aware of any provision of Florida law which permits armed guards to carry inside a school.

In that circumstance, nor am I. However, if you are contracted to the school its perfectly acceptable. Hillsborough County has their own very professional armed security.