• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do I read this correctly?

The Big Guy

If I read the below correctly, barring any other statute tucked away somewhere, it looks to me like a public emplyee with a CCW can't be barred from entering a public building with his/her firearm regarless of metal detectors or signs. I suppose an employment contract could come into play here however.

TBG

NRS 202.3673
which reads:

(b) A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building, unless the permittee is not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subsection 4.

4. The provisions of paragraph (b) of subsection 3 do not prohibit:

(c) A permittee who is employed in the public building from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building.

jpa

If I read the below correctly, barring any other statute tucked away somewhere, it looks to me like a public emplyee with a CCW can't be barred from entering a public building with his/her firearm regarless of metal detectors or signs. I suppose an employment contract could come into play here however.

TBG

NRS 202.3673
which reads:

(b) A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building, unless the permittee is not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subsection 4.

4. The provisions of paragraph (b) of subsection 3 do not prohibit:

(c) A permittee who is employed in the public building from carrying a concealed firearm while he or she is on the premises of the public building.

You are correct that public employees are exempt. However, this Nevada Administrative Code allows the employer to make a policy banning firearms. My position is that since this administrative regulation was created by the state Personnel commission and not the Legislature, and the Legislature reserves the right to regulate firearms to itself....

NAC 284.650 Causes for disciplinary action. (NRS 284.065, 284.155, 284.383) Appropriate disciplinary or corrective action may be taken for any of the following causes:

1. Activity which is incompatible with an employee’s conditions of employment established by law or which violates a provision of NAC 284.653 or 284.738 to 284.771, inclusive.

2. Disgraceful personal conduct which impairs the performance of a job or causes discredit to the agency.

3. The employee of any institution administering a security program, in the considered judgment of the appointing authority, violates or endangers the security of the institution.

4. Discourteous treatment of the public or fellow employees while on duty.

5. Incompetence or inefficiency.

6. Insubordination or willful disobedience.

7. Inexcusable neglect of duty.

8. Fraud in securing appointment.

9. Prohibited political activity.

10. Dishonesty.

11. Abuse, damage to or waste of public equipment, property or supplies because of inexcusable negligence or willful acts.

12. Drug or alcohol abuse as described in NRS 284.4062 and NAC 284.884.

13. Conviction of any criminal act involving moral turpitude.

14. Being under the influence of intoxicants, a controlled substance without a medical doctor’s prescription or any other illegally used substances while on duty.

15. Unauthorized absence from duty or abuse of leave privileges.

16. Violation of any rule of the Commission.

17. Falsification of any records.

18. Misrepresentation of official capacity or authority.

19. Violation of any safety rule adopted or enforced by the employee’s appointing authority.

20. Carrying, while on the premises of the workplace, any firearm which is not required for the performance of the employee’s current job duties or authorized by his or her appointing authority.

21. Any act of violence which arises out of or in the course of the performance of the employee’s duties, including, without limitation, stalking, conduct that is threatening or intimidating, assault or battery.

22. Failure to participate in any investigation of alleged discrimination, including, without limitation, an investigation concerning sexual harassment.

23. Failure to participate in an administrative investigation authorized by the employee’s appointing authority.

[Personnel Div., Rule XII § D, eff. 8-11-73]—(NAC A by Dep’t of Personnel, 10-26-84; 7-22-87; 12-26-91; 7-1-94; 11-16-95; R031-98, 4-17-98; A by Personnel Comm’n by R065-98, 7-24-98; R147-06, 12-7-2006)

Last edited:

The Big Guy

You are correct that public employees are exempt. However, this Nevada Administrative Code allows the employer to make a policy banning firearms. My position is that since this administrative regulation was created by the state Personnel commission and not the Legislature, and the Legislature reserves the right to regulate firearms to itself....

Does that apply to city and county as well as state?

TBG

chrsjhnsn

I work for Washoe county part time and was told I have to speak to my supervisor WRT carrying at work.
I printed out
NRS 202.3673 and showed it to him, he said "OH!" then he commented on all the guns I had listed on my ccw, he wanted to make a copy...( wow that's neat you have so many guns on there) ... He basically told me to have a nice day, I think he has a ccw and was relieved he could carry at work!!! LOL!!