• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Failed background check for conceal carry!! What next?

Hitech redneck

I took my conceal carry license with my son and nephew last summer and was informed 6 months later that I was denied the permit due to failure to inform them of a possesion of marijuana charge over 25 yrs ago. Now I know it sounds like I should have been more thorough. Thing is I went to both counties I ever received a ticket in and filed for complete arrest/ticket/charge ever issued to me. You know, just to be safe and get all available info so as not to leave anything out. WRONG! They still denied me on the grounds I failed to include a charge. First off why am I supposed to do their record keeping when they are the ones requiring it. And then why is it acceptable to deny me because their record didn't match what 2 other counties provided me with? I own several guns, probably have bought 20 different ones in the last 2 years, can someone explain this to me?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I took my conceal carry license with my son and nephew last summer and was informed 6 months later that I was denied the permit due to failure to inform them of a possesion of marijuana charge over 25 yrs ago. Now I know it sounds like I should have been more thorough. Thing is I went to both counties I ever received a ticket in and filed for complete arrest/ticket/charge ever issued to me. You know, just to be safe and get all available info so as not to leave anything out. WRONG! They still denied me on the grounds I failed to include a charge. First off why am I supposed to do their record keeping when they are the ones requiring it. And then why is it acceptable to deny me because their record didn't match what 2 other counties provided me with? I own several guns, probably have bought 20 different ones in the last 2 years, can someone explain this to me?

You were denied for a possession of marijuana charge you received 20 years ago? Is Oklahoma law that strict? I would suggest looking into an out of state permit from Utah or Florida, or another state that offers non-resident permits.

I would assume that OK has an appeals process if you are denied. Check into the law and see if a possession charge denies you from being able to obtain a permit, and if it doesn't if you can appeal.

hermannr

Most states have an appeal process if you are denied. Most states also have a method of removing things like that from your record...but I would first start by reading the OK SDA very carefully so you can form the arguments for your appeal. Like is that arrest a disqualifing conviction?

Hitech redneck

Most states have an appeal process if you are denied. Most states also have a method of removing things like that from your record...but I would first start by reading the OK SDA very carefully so you can form the arguments for your appeal. Like is that arrest a disqualifing conviction?
I was informed it wasn't the charge of possesion itself that denied me it was failure on my part to indicate it when filing for my license. What's even worse to add fuel to the fire I lost the $200 application fee because of this failure. I just don't know why all reports weren't submitted to me and if they were what the heck are the OSBI people doing for info? I live in the same town I was born in and have my entire life.

hrdware

I think I would try to appeal the decision and show them the reports that you were given from the respective counties. This way the can see you tried to make sure you included everything and you didn't intentionally leave anything off the application. Don't know if it will work or not, but it's worth a try.

hermannr

I think I would try to appeal the decision and show them the reports that you were given from the respective counties. This way the can see you tried to make sure you included everything and you didn't intentionally leave anything off the application. Don't know if it will work or not, but it's worth a try.

Sounds like an excellent approach,

Hitech redneck

It's been a year now

I appreciate the info guys. I will contact them again and find out if that's possible, I think the timeframe for an appeal may have passed. By the way is there anybody here that has the contact info for the OSBI dept. that handles that?

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
I understand that you weren't denied for the charge itself, but for failure to disclose. From what I understand, this happens fairly regularly.

If it were me, I'd simply reapply and this time disclose the arrest and note the disposition. So long as you weren't convicted of a felony, you should qualify. Sorry about your $200, but I don't think an appeal will do you any good. State law says you can be denied for failure to complete the form properly, and that is what they are using to deny if they find any arrests that you didn't disclose.

IANAL.

Levant

When I applied for mine, I had a couple of juvenile run away charges and related time in juvenile hall. I made sure to even include those on my app. I've had my permit for 4 years but have had the right to legally carry for 57.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You should have objected to the inquiry. Appears to have been vague and would be a fishing expedition for information not relevant to your application.

Did you plead guilty or were found guilty of the charge?

Can you re-apply?

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I was informed it wasn't the charge of possesion itself that denied me it was failure on my part to indicate it when filing for my license. What's even worse to add fuel to the fire I lost the $200 application fee because of this failure. I just don't know why all reports weren't submitted to me and if they were what the heck are the OSBI people doing for info? I live in the same town I was born in and have my entire life.

$200 application fee? That's ridiculous! $200 would cover my permit costs for 40 years.

Best of luck in your appeal. I would think you have a good chance of winning it if you do your research. Keep us posted!

radroni

Make sure you appeal the denial....and in the hearing you will be asked questions and basically it will say why you was denied...and normally they will say you can reapply and just list the charges on the new application....

you will have to pay the fee again but the 2nd time you will just haft to add that info to the new application....also you might see about getting the charge expunged as normally it is not that hard to do...but before you should if you have not done already...get a back ground check on your self...as you can be denied if you have a past...just anticancer thing will cause a denial ...like a restraining order against you that is still in affect ...if there is one ...you will need to see if you can get it dismissed ...and if you do...you still have to list it and that there is activity on it (being dismissed)...there are certain other thing that will cause a automatic denial also...but you should know them just by reading the handbook....

the guideline state you can not be denied if you list the history (be truthful). But it also states that certain conviction are automatic denial..

the reason i say this is i had to go threw the appeal due to a restraining order that was filed from a divorce that was over 18 years ago and the court did not dismiss the PO in the automatic 3 years....took me a total of 2 days to correct it..
basically all you have to do is correct what they found and resubmit it.. Jut be as complete and honest as possible...