• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

People's United Suddenly Anti-Gun?

SPOProds

So I stop into the People's United Bank branch in Orono just about everyday. To make a deposit or withdrawal. When I opened my account in Connecticut, I OC'd into the bank which I had done when conducting personal business, I opened it as abusiness account for my gun company. The bank manager and associate had no problem with my exposed firearm and were actually interested in how to get a permit. I have literally OC'd into PUB branches over a hundred times with no issues.

Well today I wake up to a voicemail, its a PUB investigator asking me to call him back. So I do, thinking they picked up on some fraudulant charges. He asked me to verify my identity which I did. At this point he advised me that he knows I've been going to the Orono branch frequently. I said "ok and?" He told me that "he understands I may be a gun enthusiast as he is as well but that I cannot continue to carry into any PUB branches. This came as a total surprise. He told me that he knows its legal and he carries as well. I asked what brought this sudden change as I have never had a problem before. He told me a teller filed a complaint and said she felt uncomfortable. He gave me the option "when you do business with us you can either leave your gun in the car or use our drive through if you'd like to carry." I told him I'd take the third option of closing my acct as I don't do business with companies that don't allow me to carry, especially places where I deposit a couple thousand dollars a day. I asked him to send me an email or letter on PUB letterhead stating they didn't allow firearms, he told me "I'm not going to do that." I asked him fo contact info to a superior and he said he wasnt going to give that to me. I told him I had no way of knowing he worked for PUB and without a written notification his phone call meant nothing to me and had no legal holding. I closed my acct within an hour of hanging up. I have sent an email to PUB corporate asking for the banks policy. I informed them I have closed my acct pending this being fixed. I am planning to release the investigators work phone number if I do not hear back, so we can bombard his office with calls of disgust and dissatisfaction. Looks like Bo A vs. MacMillan all over again. I am working on this with a RichB from CT to see if this is PUB or just one moron that is abusing his power as an "investigator" because he couldn't make it as a LEO. Any suggestions in the mean time?

Rant over by the way.

CCinMaine

Sounds like you have handled everything appropriately so far. Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

SPOProds

Recieved a response back that my email has been forwarded to the Security Department for review. What are the chances that this will end up in the local Secuirty Department instead of a higher level in rank? I can see myself getting a phone call from the same investigator now lol

Thanks CCinMaine for the support.

SPOProds

Tell them you're moving to TD Bank.

Michele at the Union St (Bangor) branch is the manager and already educated in OC.

I moved to TD :cool:

I also received a call from PUB Corporate Security today after threatening to out them as anti-gun. I was told their policy is verbal. They will not issue a written policy. Their policy us to allow whatever is legal in the state. I told him I could only legally carry an exposed firearm in Maine without a concealed carry permit. He asked me to leave it in the car. Told him I walk and don't own a car, he said to leave it at home. He tried to mention CT alot since it was my original account location, saying they have alot of robberies.(Never had a problem in over 200+ visits while in CT to multiple branches, including Stop and Shop locations) I asked him how many involved a holstered openly carried firearm. He said he wouldn't go into detailing statistics. Brought up the same old "women and children around, panic, fear" arguments. Also mentioned something about violent robbery, all irrelevant. Basically ended with "open carry is acceptable in all branches until a teller complains, then you get a call asking(commanding) to stop OCing." Their way of banning it without saying so publicly.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Johnny W

Also, they're sponsoring a gun buyback

I've never had a problem carrying into a People's Bank, but then again I haven't tried OCing there.

However, the headquarters is in Bridgeport, CT, and they're listed as a sponsor of the gun "buyback" program there.

http://www.bridgeportct.gov/controls/NewsFeed.aspx?FeedID=429

In addition to the City of Bridgeport, the City Council, and the Bridgeport Housing Authority, the following individuals and businesses have made significant donations to the gun buyback fund including: Public Service Electric and Gas (PSEG); Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder; Stratton Faxon; People’s Bank; Housing Authority; Joseph Luciano; Pullman and Comley; Board of Education; Bridgeport Hospital; St. Vincent’s Medical Center; Aquarion; Berchem, Moses & Devlin; Bridgeport Regional Business Council; Dominion Energy; Bismarck Construction; Cigna.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... I asked him to send me an email or letter on PUB letterhead stating they didn't allow firearms, he told me "I'm not going to do that." I asked him for contact info to a superior and he said he wasn't going to give that to me. I told him I had no way of knowing he worked for PUB and without a written notification his phone call meant nothing to me and had no legal holding. I closed my acct within an hour of hanging up. ...

I'd have not closed my account yet, but found the very next opportunity to OC as normal as often as possible. FORCE them to make it official if they are going to do it.

But that is just my first thought. I absolutely agree to close accounts with businesses that do so.

SPOProds

I've never had a problem carrying into a People's Bank, but then again I haven't tried OCing there.

However, the headquarters is in Bridgeport, CT, and they're listed as a sponsor of the gun "buyback" program there.

http://www.bridgeportct.gov/controls/NewsFeed.aspx?FeedID=429

I know I'm originally from BPT, CT as a matter of fact. Never had a problem OCing in the "main" branch or any other BPT branch. My firearms business account was originally opened in a BPT branch.

Last edited:

ncwabbit

forgive this out of towner's intrusion but...but, my curiosity has been que'd

in all the years i have been associated with banks & credit unions and financial establishments...i have never heard of a 'bank investigator' dealing with the public except when dealing w/fraud issues etc.

that you you profess to deal in firearms and these conversations are apparently only being held via telcon should be extremely worrisome to you as should the comment about their policy only being verbal....your spidey sensor should be tingling baddly!!

finally, they state they are a 'bank investigator'...and that means what in the grand scheme of things...they will arrest you for filling out the deposit slip wrong???

might want to file a report w/DA about this contact and let them discuss with the investigator why this individual has accessed your private & personal banking account information against state and federal privacy regulation(s) and are apparently trying to use it to enforce judicial statutes especially since there is no bank policy in force?

My banking source who has worked in these establishments for almost 20 years says..."Please immediately contact the CEO and/or Bd of Directors stating you're very, very concerned someone apparently is accessing your private data and banking information and contacted you out of the blue!!! further, state this individual is apparently demanding you cease your legal activities...

push the fact you wish a formal investigation from them, with written report to you from them and to please look at the banks privacy policy(ies) as well as the 'investigator' section mandate or mission statement be examined to preclude this type of misuse of data and abuse of power from occurring in the future. You also wish individual(s) involved either censured or dismissed for inappropriately accessing your account data against fed state and what you are sure is bank privacy policy(ies).

If in fact this individual is a bank investigator, demand to know why this was not handled by official written correspondence stating bank policy!!

please ensure this is couched from your deep and sincere concern for your & family's well being especially in light of the many crazies out there who, after the wake of senseless murders, are against those who deal with firearms and you truly don't want to have to deal with your personal information in public hands.

btw, INAL

wabbit

ps: if this occurred to me, i would be extremely alarmed and concerned and be quite proactive at getting your personal data back under
control...

pps: might want to immediately change banking organizations as it seems your current one didn't and can't protect your personal data...

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...might want to file a report w/DA about this contact and let them discuss with the investigator why this individual has accessed your private & personal banking account information against state and federal privacy regulation(s) and are apparently trying to use it to enforce judicial statutes especially since there is no bank policy in force? ...

This is awesome.

Even if the DA doesn't care, I like what you can still do with this.

SPOProds

Wabbit, will have to look into this. Thank you, I've already switched banks. My account with PUB was closed within an hour of the call. Any cites or references to help me out?

My assumption is upon becoming alarmed the clerk forwarded my info to the investigator.

MainelyGlock

That's messed up, especially the fact that your information was accessed for something non-banking related. I'm interested in hearing how everything works out for you.

Good luck with TD, I've only had bad experiences with them, but they probably treat their business customers better than a kid.

I'm at Bangor Savings, and they're awesome. After one visit, most of the tellers there knew my name the next time I came in. The one I frequent the most has never had any problems with me carrying there. They did ask a few questions, but it was mostly like "why/what kind of looks do you get/what are the laws". And this is in Portland, too! ;)