Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Firearm Owner

Cool New Firearm Owner

I recently received an honorable discharge from the military after 12 years of service and felt that as I would no longer be using firearms in my work place, I felt I should have at least one for home defense. In the last few months I have bought a few different firearms, and have open carried in a few places as well. I think it's awesome the welcome reception other gun enthusiasts have shown me, and what a great feeling of belonging with everyone I encounter at the range. Are there any local Hampton Roads clubs? I'm not a hunter, but I do enjoy using various types of firearms at the range.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Welcome aboard! Let me know if I can assist you with any training needs.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    You'll be getting comments from Hampton/Tidewater people soon.

It's one of the more active areas with some great fellows.

Welcome to OCDO. Thank you for your service. Please do not make too much fun of the shallow-water sailors you will probably run into in your neck of the woods - they are sensitive about that.

I'm surprised neither ProShooter or Peter Nap mentioned it. I will. Go to www.vcdl.org and at least sign up for the free VA-ALERT email newsletter. If you do not sign up as a member while you are there on the web site make a point of finding the VCDL table at the gun show(s) and letting the volunteers explain why you should join. (You do go to gun shows, don't you?)

Check the stickies at the top of the Virginia section regularly to see if there any meet&greet events in your AO. They are great for meeting people of a like mind and for sharing knowledge.

Lastly, reserve January 14, 2013 on your calendar for attending Lobby Day at the General Assembly Building in Richmond. It's a state and federal holiday. It's also the day we let our elected representatives know which bills we like and do not like.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Thanks, everybody!

Thanks for the warm welcome! So far I've only purchased firearms I'm familiar with through previous experience in the service, but I do want to branch out and try new things once I have a proper place to store them. I've been going to Superior Pawn & Gun off Lynnhaven for the last few weeks, and have really enjoyed it. I fully intend to frequent gun shows, but have not had the opportunity yet (I was only discharged in June, and haven't spent much time in the US over the last 12 years).

I hope to see you all out there on the range!

Welcome to Virginia, Tidewater and OCDO. Once upon a time, some of us in Tidewater were Blue Water Sailors.

No need to wait for a gun show to meet the VCDL. We're having a picnic on Sep 15, 2012 here in Newport News at Riverfront Park. (See the Sticky Post at the head of the Virginia Forum.)

OC is quite legal at this event.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    <snip>Lastly, reserve January 14, 2013 on your calendar for attending Lobby Day at the General Assembly Building in Richmond. It's a state and federal holiday. It's also the day we let our elected representatives know which bills we like and do not like.
    He might feel a little lonely if he shows up on that day, Skid.

The legal public holiday for the Birthday of Martin Luther King will be Monday, January 21, 2013--which is also the 2013 Lobby Day.

Predictably the VCDL calendar doesn't yet reflect the 2013 Lobby Day date but that's nothing new.

Brian Reynolds has it correct though on the VCDL Facebook page.

:P

Well, I'm a lady! Not a "he" And unfortunately I work every Monday, Tuesday, and Friday, so anything that falls on those days I can't make it. I work in the hospital in Norfolk, so we don't really take holidays, but I'll be there in spirit. I've already saved VCDL webpage on my computer, and joined the group on FB, and have marked my calendar for the Show at the convention center in September. I'm trying to encourage some friends to start coming to the range with me, but so far, it's a no go.

Quote Originally Posted by Justine View Post
    Well, I'm a lady! Not a "he"
    Ha ha, funny, I actually wondered about that for a moment when I saw your first post.

Problem with English, you can't tell if it's Just-EEN or Just-IN from the spelling!

TFred

Hunting

I have absolutely no issue with hunters, and I agree, that every time I go to the grocery store I am contributing the it. I just also happen to be an animal lover, and just don't have the heart to do the killing myself (unless of course it is for survival, in which case Babmi is welcome to set up home in my sites).

I have a injury that keeps me from using my strong arms for target shooting, and I'm now practicing with my weak arm, allowing it to gain strength and familiarity with the various firearms I keep at home. So far, I'm having wonderful results. I do tend to get tired faster due to having less strength in that arm, but it'll get stronger with practice.

I am looking at one or two different safes right now. I'm going to hold off until the gun show in September, and see what they have to offer there, both in terms of new pieces and safes.

Also, I OC all over Norfolk and Virginia Beach today taking care of errands and having lunch with a friend. It was a great sense of security, and no one glanced at me twice. Great experience. I'll be doing it whenever I'm not at work now.

I have absolutely no issue with hunters, and I agree, that every time I go to the grocery store I am contributing the it. I just also happen to be an animal lover, and just don't have the heart to do the killing myself (unless of course it is for survival, in which case Babmi is welcome to set up home in my sites).

I have a injury that keeps me from using my strong arms for target shooting, and I'm now practicing with my weak arm, allowing it to gain strength and familiarity with the various firearms I keep at home. So far, I'm having wonderful results. I do tend to get tired faster due to having less strength in that arm, but it'll get stronger with practice.

I am looking at one or two different safes right now. I'm going to hold off until the gun show in September, and see what they have to offer there, both in terms of new pieces and safes.

Also, I OC all over Norfolk and Virginia Beach today taking care of errands and having lunch with a friend. It was a great sense of security, and no one glanced at me twice. Great experience. I'll be doing it whenever I'm not at work now.
    A pox on those evil Dog Hunters

These are my neighbors:

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    A pox on those evil Dog Hunters

These are my neighbors:

Wow... those are gorgeous! What a great place to live.

Thank you Justine and yes it is.
    Just for the record though, I do hunt...non stop from the opening day of Bow season to the last day of rifle season.

I just hate dog hunters

A little hint about the arm strength. Get a dumbell (Weight) about 10 pounds (What I use) and keep it handy. Whenever you get a few free minute during the day, use it by holding it as if it were a handgun. Hold it steady until your arm starts to really shake.

It will improve your hold almost immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Thank you Justine and yes it is.
    Just for the record though, I do hunt...non stop from the opening day of Bow season to the last day of rifle season.

I just hate dog hunters

A little hint about the arm strength. Get a dumbell (Weight) about 10 pounds (What I use) and keep it handy. Whenever you get a few free minute during the day, use it by holding it as if it were a handgun. Hold it steady until your arm starts to really shake.

It will improve your hold almost immediately.

I honestly have no issue with any type of hunting. My dad and uncles engage in the activity, and I happily eat the meat, whether it be deer or turkey they bring home. I just don't do it myself because I think they're cute. But, like I said, if it were a survival thing... cute be damned, I'm eating.

have marked my calendar for the Show at the convention center in September.
    The show usually has 2 nice sized gun safe dealers and good deals on most everything else. The same group runs the Hampton show and its usually one month in VA Beach and the next in Hampton etc, etc. The one in Hampton however is twice the size. I go to both shows and often end up leaving with more then I intended to get.

Welcome to OCDO. check the threads there is a dinner scheduled in Chesapeake on the 30th of Aug.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-Carrabbas-7pm

Hampton Roads Open Carry Dinner Aug 30 Chesapeake-Carrabbas 7pm

Hope you can make it.
    Last edited by Wolf_shadow; 08-20-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Welcome to OCDO. check the threads there is a dinner scheduled in Chesapeake on the 30th of Aug.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-Carrabbas-7pm

Hampton Roads Open Carry Dinner Aug 30 Chesapeake-Carrabbas 7pm

Hope you can make it.
    Thanks for the invite! I don't think I'm going to make it that night as I have a school function to attend (going back to school to finish my BS, blah), but I'll certainly keep an eye out for the next one!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
    Lambs are cute, and that has never stopped me from eating it.

Pigs are cute, but I still love bacon and ham.

Calves are cute too, and veal is one of my favorite meats.

Doe's and fawns are very cute, but I have never shot one of them.

A buck deer is a magnificent animal, but if you don't shoot it and eat it, something else will, like a mountain lion, or a wolf, or a coyote, or it will get hit by a car. Nothing in the forest or the sea ever often dies of old age; something else usually eats it.
    Oh I'll happily eat it! LOL I am just not a hunter unless I have to. If I have to, I'll kill an animal for food in a heart beat. Otherwise (and I know this sounds bad), I'll leave the dirty work to someone else and enjoy the meat. But... again... if it's between me and survival... Bambi is goind DOWN!

Oh, and I should also say that I've never been hunting, but that if I did go, I might very likely easily shoot an animal to bring home for dinner... I've just never tried it, and I don't know that I'd be able to when push comes to shove unless it's for survival.
    Last edited by Justine; 08-21-2012 at 04:52 AM.

That is nothing

Wow... those are gorgeous! What a great place to live.
    Wait til he posts a picture of Zeus, his pet horse he rides to town on.

Now THAT is an amazing animal!

;>)

Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    Wait til he posts a picture of Zeus, his pet horse he rides to town on.

Now THAT is an amazing animal!

;>)
    I grew up in Southern California and only moved to Virginia 12 years ago with the military, so I love nature shots like that because I haven't experienced it a whole lot. It's really neat.

PN is the man

I grew up in Southern California and only moved to Virginia 12 years ago with the military, so I love nature shots like that because I haven't experienced it a whole lot. It's really neat.
    Peter has quit a collection of wonderful neighbors like those pictured above. it is amazing what his "game camera has captured. Zeus is still my favorite.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Zeus and Mrs. Nap keep Peter around because he takes them to Williamsburg so frequently.

It is really quite a sight seeing Zeus walk him on his leash - he follows respectfully 2 or 3 paces behind.

Zeus meets some very interesting people and introduces Peter to them.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Meet Zeus:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast