• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Firearm Owner

Justine

I recently received an honorable discharge from the military after 12 years of service and felt that as I would no longer be using firearms in my work place, I felt I should have at least one for home defense. In the last few months I have bought a few different firearms, and have open carried in a few places as well. I think it's awesome the welcome reception other gun enthusiasts have shown me, and what a great feeling of belonging with everyone I encounter at the range. Are there any local Hampton Roads clubs? I'm not a hunter, but I do enjoy using various types of firearms at the range.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You'll be getting comments from Hampton/Tidewater people soon.

It's one of the more active areas with some great fellows.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO. Thank you for your service. Please do not make too much fun of the shallow-water sailors you will probably run into in your neck of the woods - they are sensitive about that.:p

I'm surprised neither ProShooter or Peter Nap mentioned it. I will. Go to www.vcdl.org and at least sign up for the free VA-ALERT email newsletter. If you do not sign up as a member while you are there on the web site make a point of finding the VCDL table at the gun show(s) and letting the volunteers explain why you should join. (You do go to gun shows, don't you?)

Check the stickies at the top of the Virginia section regularly to see if there any meet&greet events in your AO. They are great for meeting people of a like mind and for sharing knowledge.

Lastly, reserve January 14, 2013 on your calendar for attending Lobby Day at the General Assembly Building in Richmond. It's a state and federal holiday. It's also the day we let our elected representatives know which bills we like and do not like.

stay safe.

Justine

Thanks, everybody!

Thanks for the warm welcome! So far I've only purchased firearms I'm familiar with through previous experience in the service, but I do want to branch out and try new things once I have a proper place to store them. I've been going to Superior Pawn & Gun off Lynnhaven for the last few weeks, and have really enjoyed it. I fully intend to frequent gun shows, but have not had the opportunity yet (I was only discharged in June, and haven't spent much time in the US over the last 12 years).

I hope to see you all out there on the range! :D

2a4all

Welcome to Virginia, Tidewater and OCDO. Once upon a time, some of us in Tidewater were Blue Water Sailors.

No need to wait for a gun show to meet the VCDL. We're having a picnic on Sep 15, 2012 here in Newport News at Riverfront Park. (See the Sticky Post at the head of the Virginia Forum.)

OC is quite legal at this event.

1911 Enthusiast

<snip>Lastly, reserve January 14, 2013 on your calendar for attending Lobby Day at the General Assembly Building in Richmond. It's a state and federal holiday. It's also the day we let our elected representatives know which bills we like and do not like.

He might feel a little lonely if he shows up on that day, Skid.

The legal public holiday for the Birthday of Martin Luther King will be Monday, January 21, 2013--which is also the 2013 Lobby Day.

Predictably the VCDL calendar doesn't yet reflect the 2013 Lobby Day date but that's nothing new.

Brian Reynolds has it correct though on the VCDL Facebook page.

Justine

:p

Well, I'm a lady! Not a "he" ;) And unfortunately I work every Monday, Tuesday, and Friday, so anything that falls on those days I can't make it. I work in the hospital in Norfolk, so we don't really take holidays, but I'll be there in spirit. I've already saved VCDL webpage on my computer, and joined the group on FB, and have marked my calendar for the Show at the convention center in September. I'm trying to encourage some friends to start coming to the range with me, but so far, it's a no go.

Shoobee

I recently received an honorable discharge from the military after 12 years of service and felt that as I would no longer be using firearms in my work place, I felt I should have at least one for home defense. In the last few months I have bought a few different firearms, and have open carried in a few places as well. I think it's awesome the welcome reception other gun enthusiasts have shown me, and what a great feeling of belonging with everyone I encounter at the range. Are there any local Hampton Roads clubs? I'm not a hunter, but I do enjoy using various types of firearms at the range.

Justine, one really great thing about military training is that you become familiar with carbine rifles and semi-auto handguns. From then on you will be comfortable with these for the rest of your life.

It is indeed true that everyone who is trained and familiar with firearms should own and possess at least one at home. Most people opt for a semi-auto pistol, which is good news, since the recent US Supreme Court decision in Heller affirms the right to keep and bear a popular firearm in the home as a premise for legal interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, according to Scalia, in his own words.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

During my own tour of duty, my duty weapon was the Springfield 45ACP, and that is the firearm I love the most now. It is my best friend, at home, when hiking, camping, and anytime I need it.

Not everyone hunts, and not all former-military become hunters, although if you served in the combat arms (infantry, tanks, artillery, special warfare) then you were a hunter, hunting other soldiers.

Hunting wily animals is actually more challenging than hunting other solders. Other soldiers are normally undiciplined and their smoking and chatting habits give away their positions very easily. Animals do not make these mistakes, although they have other habits and requirements that make it possible to hunt them in one way or another.

The hunting firearm of choice is normally the 1903 Springfield-esque bolt action scoped rifle. It possesses the long range accuracy and power for a killing shot on any animal, from the biggest bears (grizzlies and polar) to the biggest ungulates (moose, caribou, and elk).

Killing is something that everyone does anytime they go to a grocery store and buy meat, or to a burger barn or chicken hut. It's just that with hunting the killing is up close and personal, with gutting and butchering at the same time. I love hunting.

I love my 45ACP and my .300 Remington Ultra Magnum rifle as well. I also have a pump action shotgun, in case I ever need to deal with a riot in my neighborhood, as well.

Good luck to you, as a new firearms owner, and keep up your training. There are classes you can take by NRA instructors at most ranges that are very worthwhile. You will find that as a veteran you will get along best with other veterans. So try to find an instructor who is also a vet as well. Your closest friends at work and at play will also be vets. That's just the way it works. Likes attract each other and get along best.

Dont be too surprised if it takes a long time to shed some of your military ways. Some habits never leave you. Others take a really long time, like 20 or 30 years.

:D

Attachments

• CZ 97B 45ACP.jpg
    CZ 97B 45ACP.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Mossberg 590.jpg
    Mossberg 590.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Rem 700 .300 RUM.jpg
    Rem 700 .300 RUM.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Shoobee

Thanks for the warm welcome! So far I've only purchased firearms I'm familiar with through previous experience in the service, but I do want to branch out and try new things once I have a proper place to store them. I've been going to Superior Pawn & Gun off Lynnhaven for the last few weeks, and have really enjoyed it. I fully intend to frequent gun shows, but have not had the opportunity yet (I was only discharged in June, and haven't spent much time in the US over the last 12 years).

I hope to see you all out there on the range! :D

If you only own one firearm, and you keep it on your person at all times, such as for CCW, then all you need is a holster for it and a nice big leather protective jacket to cover it.

If you don't keep it with you at all times, then you need a gunsafe for it, or else it is not safe from thieves.

If you have little kids, or even juveniles, you then need the gunsafe as well, although I suppose you could do with a trigger lock, but kids have a way to find and get at keys, so a gunsafe is the best bet, with kids around.

If you have more than one weapon, or a long gun (rifle, carbine, shotgun, muzzleloader) then you need a gunsafe to keep them in.

A gunsafe can be had for around $500 or so. Here is what mine looks like. (More show-and-tell, a popular game among gun enthusiasts.)

As you arrange the gunsafe, leave the space at the very top for your primary defensive handgun, and keep it loaded and chambered at all times. And keep several loaded magazines or speedloaders (if a revolver) nearby it as well.

Some shooters advocate keeping your defense gun by your side on your lamp stand by your bed as you sleep. For me this is suicide. If a burglar sneaks into your house, there it is right there, for him to take and use on you.

I feel that your primary defensive handgun belongs in only one of 3 places at all times, your choice --

- conclealed on your person;

- locked on the top shelf of your gunsafe

- under your pillow.

Obviously you might find it unnerving at first to keep it under your pillow. But after awhile you will get used to it there, and it is the very safest place for it while you are sleeping.

Attachments

• Liberty Centurion.jpg
    Liberty Centurion.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Justine

Hunting

:D I have absolutely no issue with hunters, and I agree, that every time I go to the grocery store I am contributing the it. I just also happen to be an animal lover, and just don't have the heart to do the killing myself (unless of course it is for survival, in which case Babmi is welcome to set up home in my sites).

I have a injury that keeps me from using my strong arms for target shooting, and I'm now practicing with my weak arm, allowing it to gain strength and familiarity with the various firearms I keep at home. So far, I'm having wonderful results. I do tend to get tired faster due to having less strength in that arm, but it'll get stronger with practice.

I am looking at one or two different safes right now. I'm going to hold off until the gun show in September, and see what they have to offer there, both in terms of new pieces and safes.

Also, I OC all over Norfolk and Virginia Beach today taking care of errands and having lunch with a friend. It was a great sense of security, and no one glanced at me twice. Great experience. I'll be doing it whenever I'm not at work now. :D

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
:D I have absolutely no issue with hunters, and I agree, that every time I go to the grocery store I am contributing the it. I just also happen to be an animal lover, and just don't have the heart to do the killing myself (unless of course it is for survival, in which case Babmi is welcome to set up home in my sites).

I have a injury that keeps me from using my strong arms for target shooting, and I'm now practicing with my weak arm, allowing it to gain strength and familiarity with the various firearms I keep at home. So far, I'm having wonderful results. I do tend to get tired faster due to having less strength in that arm, but it'll get stronger with practice.

I am looking at one or two different safes right now. I'm going to hold off until the gun show in September, and see what they have to offer there, both in terms of new pieces and safes.

Also, I OC all over Norfolk and Virginia Beach today taking care of errands and having lunch with a friend. It was a great sense of security, and no one glanced at me twice. Great experience. I'll be doing it whenever I'm not at work now. :D

A pox on those evil Dog Hunters:uhoh:

These are my neighbors:

baby-bears.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thank you Justine and yes it is.
Just for the record though, I do hunt...non stop from the opening day of Bow season to the last day of rifle season.

I just hate dog hunters:lol:

A little hint about the arm strength. Get a dumbell (Weight) about 10 pounds (What I use) and keep it handy. Whenever you get a few free minute during the day, use it by holding it as if it were a handgun. Hold it steady until your arm starts to really shake.

It will improve your hold almost immediately.

Justine

Thank you Justine and yes it is.
Just for the record though, I do hunt...non stop from the opening day of Bow season to the last day of rifle season.

I just hate dog hunters:lol:

A little hint about the arm strength. Get a dumbell (Weight) about 10 pounds (What I use) and keep it handy. Whenever you get a few free minute during the day, use it by holding it as if it were a handgun. Hold it steady until your arm starts to really shake.

It will improve your hold almost immediately.

I honestly have no issue with any type of hunting. My dad and uncles engage in the activity, and I happily eat the meat, whether it be deer or turkey they bring home. I just don't do it myself because I think they're cute. :D But, like I said, if it were a survival thing... cute be damned, I'm eating.

kord

have marked my calendar for the Show at the convention center in September.

The show usually has 2 nice sized gun safe dealers and good deals on most everything else. The same group runs the Hampton show and its usually one month in VA Beach and the next in Hampton etc, etc. The one in Hampton however is twice the size. I go to both shows and often end up leaving with more then I intended to get.

Justine

Welcome to OCDO. check the threads there is a dinner scheduled in Chesapeake on the 30th of Aug.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-Carry-Dinner-Aug-30-Chesapeake-Carrabbas-7pm

Hampton Roads Open Carry Dinner Aug 30 Chesapeake-Carrabbas 7pm

Hope you can make it.

Thanks for the invite! I don't think I'm going to make it that night as I have a school function to attend (going back to school to finish my BS, blah), but I'll certainly keep an eye out for the next one!

Shoobee

I honestly have no issue with any type of hunting. My dad and uncles engage in the activity, and I happily eat the meat, whether it be deer or turkey they bring home. I just don't do it myself because I think they're cute. :D But, like I said, if it were a survival thing... cute be damned, I'm eating.

Lambs are cute, and that has never stopped me from eating it.

Pigs are cute, but I still love bacon and ham.

Calves are cute too, and veal is one of my favorite meats.

Doe's and fawns are very cute, but I have never shot one of them.

A buck deer is a magnificent animal, but if you don't shoot it and eat it, something else will, like a mountain lion, or a wolf, or a coyote, or it will get hit by a car. Nothing in the forest or the sea ever often dies of old age; something else usually eats it.