• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yet another reason why gun control won't work: Technology

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D.

I saw this article awhile ago, but didn't have time to post until now. I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find any reference to it on the forums here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/30/3d_printed_assault_rifle/

My background is in computer science (a career that I left for greener pastures - although it haunts me always) but I still try to keep up on emerging technologies as a matter of interest. I had become aware of 3D printing a number of years ago- One of the first things I remember thinking was that it was only a matter of time until someone with gunsmithing/AutoCAD 3D experience would build a working gun utilizing this technology and spare parts. Granted, there are other cost effective low-tech ways to build a working gun (say, a zip gun for instance), but now we are within the realm of printing out items like AR-15 lower receivers at reasonable cost.

It will be amusing/interesting to see how our various government entities will react to this tech over time:

1) Will they try to ban the printers outright? Given the companies and money involved in pushing this technology (companies w/ enormous lobbying clout) - I just don't see that happening. Also, what about all the great things that can be made with these: Car parts, general household items, toys, tools, art, etc... Do we throw all of those to the wayside? I certainly hope not (I wouldn't put it past them trying however).

2) Will they try to control 3D gun printing by software/hardware measures? Good luck with that - pretty much anything can be hacked.

3) Perhaps, they will pass laws that will make it illegal to create/distribute the AutoCAD files and/or actually print out a gun - heavy fines & jail time will be doled out if you do so. Tag onto that some sort of identification method (be it on the molecular level or micro-stamping) to tie the printed weapon back to the printer of origin. This seems the most likely course, but now we come back to the old issue of yes, the law abiding citizen will follow the law and not print out a gun. Yet, on the criminal side, I see a *massive* black market developing here that couldn't possibly be controlled.

4) Other method - I'll leave this open to you all to discuss.

At the macro level - over time, how do we keep from self destructing as a race as technology improves exponentially? Perhaps, we will some day take the 3D printer technology further and devise machines that can print at low cost at the molecular level (think Star Trek style replicators). It boggles my mind the good/bad that could be done with technology of this magnitude. I'm just regurgitating what multitudes of others have previously discussed, but after I read this article, it just brought these issues to the forefront of my mind again. I guess at the end of the day, technology can be a boon or a curse, but what can we do but push forward? It's in our nature...

georg jetson

I see he printed out the semi-auto version of the lower receiver. If you're gonna make a firearm without going through the proper channels, then why not print out a full auto lower? He would've used less "ink".

twoskinsonemanns

I see he printed out the semi-auto version of the lower receiver. If you're gonna make a firearm without going through the proper channels, then why not print out a full auto lower? He would've used less "ink".

That's simple. Your wrong about not going through "proper channels" and manufacturing an auto would be illegal, what he did is not illegal.

There is a thread about the subject already.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...pell-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-gun-control

georg jetson

That's simple. Your wrong about not going through "proper channels" and manufacturing an auto would be illegal, what he did is not illegal.

There is a thread about the subject already.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...pell-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-gun-control

Well... thanks for the correction :)

The intent of my post was more to the side of humor. I certainly am not advocating anyone break the law.

In my state, there is a law concerning the

§1792. Possession of unidentifiable firearm; particular penalties; identification of source of firearm
http://legis.la.gov/lss/lss.asp?doc=97859 See also 40:1788

Careful reading has made me realize that his law does not cover privately made firearms.

After rechecking the fed law and reading my state law, I believe you're correct that one could do exactly what this gentleman did in my state, and probably many others, legally. Good info to know...

Time to dust off the 10 pack of ak receiver flats I bought awhile back.

Last edited: