• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LE Involvment for OC events

frodo0602

Hi, i'm wondering if anyone has gotten purposefully involved with LE, Security Guards, etc, about meet ups. I was involved in a trash pick-up across from a Police Department. The department was notified so they wouldn't freak out, and so they were educated. We picked up trash on the street then had lunch at a local restaurant.

It's usually best if someone has LE friends to pass the word instead of just calling and saying "yeah we're gonna be outside the station armed to the tooth." :eek: Anyhow, it's usually a great way to educate the Police force, the surrounding public, and gain OCing experience. Not to mention make it known that we OCers are here to help the community and make it better.

anyhow, just curious if anyone has organized a public service event on that scale (with support or acknowledgement by local LE agencies), instead of the normal OCers meeting up to eat or hang out. I would love to hear stories of ones in the past, or plans for future ones. I won't be in NC for another 10 months or so, but just thought i might plant the seed :)

frogfish

Forgot the name of the gentleman (maybe someone will remember), but there is an active member of the Triangle Open Carry group that is a LEO for the Chapel Hill PD.

lannie

Forgot the name of the gentleman (maybe someone will remember), but there is an active member of the Triangle Open Carry group that is a LEO for the Chapel Hill PD.

His name is Warren and he is he of four LEOs that attend our meetups around the Triangle.
Lannie

davidmcbeth

Banned
Oooooo.. please me policeman, may I pretty please come over and pick up trash?? Pleassssse?

Do you call the police when you want to speak at a town council meeting too?

Look, if you are in a large group next to the police station, larger than they have; then you should order them to leave you alone if they start to hassle you.

He who has the guns, makes the rules!

I dont ever ask for permission from the cops to do something thats either legal or illegal.

papa bear

Oooooo.. please me policeman, may I pretty please come over and pick up trash?? Pleassssse?

Look, if you are in a large group next to the police station, larger than they have; then you should order them to leave you alone if they start to hassle you.

I dont ever ask for permission from the cops to do something thats either legal or illegal.

DAVIDE, i think you missed the OP point

FRODO, i have thought about having an "Officer appreciation day", to be held by local OCers and also carriers alike. just getting ready to contact our local LEAs to see if they would participate

frodo0602

Did you misread what i said? We called the police to let them know what we were doing, not ask permission. And the degrading sarcasm isn't necessary. The idea is to educate in the most peaceful/respectful manner possible while exercising our rights, and benefitting our community. Thanks for the discussion point.

frodo0602

OP did call police to get permission....

not so. "Calling to notify" and "calling for permission" are completely different. If your landlord calls you to notify you of eviction, he's not saying please leave by this date. He's telling you to leave. Either way, a couple of you seem to get the idea that we called to ask. In case i came across wrong, we called simply to TELL them we would be near their place of work, picking up trash. There's no need to cause undue alarm when trying to educate, it's counter productive. positive intention + negative experience will most likely not have an overal positive effect on your cause. And before someone tells me "well police, civilians or anyone else shouldn't be suspicious or alarmed simply because someone is carrying a gun." You are absolutely right! But knowing what's right doesn't make it so. The idea is to take the best possible route from how things are to how they need to be.

LE involvment was great by the way, and don't doubt the power that can have to educating the rest.

carolina guy

<snip> And before someone tells me "well police, civilians or anyone else shouldn't be suspicious or alarmed simply because someone is carrying a gun." You are absolutely right! But knowing what's right doesn't make it so. The idea is to take the best possible route from how things are to how they need to be.

LE involvment was great by the way, and don't doubt the power that can have to educating the rest.

This is the difference between a visualized end-goal ("well police, civilians or anyone else shouldn't be suspicious or alarmed simply because someone is carrying a gun.") and the reality as it is currently.

I think that friendly notice is good. They have no reason to be concerned and then if they get calls, they can also educate the callers that everyone is doing something legal.

62 Caddy

When I pay my taxes is my police appreciation day .. and stop calling them officers, they're not.

In fact, "Police Officer" is quite correct. Please do some research on the term. Many here have family in law enforcement (mine included) which does include police officers, who do strongly believe in the second amendment and in open carry. I do know there are Police Officers out there that infringe on the rights of citizens by lack of knowledge of the laws or arrogance of position. Please do not cast all into your contempt of the few.

92fan

True

In fact, "Police Officer" is quite correct. Please do some research on the term. Many here have family in law enforcement (mine included) which does include police officers, who do strongly believe in the second amendment and in open carry. I do know there are Police Officers out there that infringe on the rights of citizens by lack of knowledge of the laws or arrogance of position. Please do not cast all into your contempt of the few.

That is very true. I have had officers thank me for carrying saying things to the effect of " if more people would carry.... Or I wish more people would carry". Not all cops are unprofessional, psycotic thugs.

Just the vast majority which is precisely why many citizens have become card carrying cop haters. I get that and find the idea of police appreciation day absolutely offensive to freedom loving people.

By the way North Carolina law enforcement is among the worst. The state police is a total mess. The only real exceptions I found while living there was Wake County Sheriffs dept & Garner police department.

papa bear

That is very true. I have had officers thank me for carrying saying things to the effect of " if more people would carry.... Or I wish more people would carry". Not all cops are unprofessional, psycotic thugs.

Just the vast majority which is precisely why many citizens have become card carrying cop haters. I get that and find the idea of police appreciation day absolutely offensive to freedom loving people.

By the way North Carolina law enforcement is among the worst. The state police is a total mess. The only real exceptions I found while living there was Wake County Sheriffs dept & Garner police department.

i guess opinions vary. i have found NC LE to be very pro citizen defensive carry, and especially the NCHP