• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart Cashier Freaks Out About Open Carry In Virginia

ElevenBravo

Yeah, I shot the video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku3UjRr9YPQ

I was checking out at the WalMart in Roanoke Virginia, The Valley View Ghetto Mart, not known for the best caliber of customers and not known as the best piece of real estate in Roanoke, when the cashier finally noticed I had a Glock 19 on my side holstered in a Blackhawk Serpa.

She ask me if I were a police officer which I replied "no". She said she didnt think I was supposed to have a gun in the store and says she has to check with the manager.

Ive carried in the same store literally hundreds of times without problems. Never a stare, except from a thug wannabe once in a while... your typical average citizen doesnt even give it a second glance.

A couple of times Ive even seen other customers performing open carry, making the statement "I will not be a victim, give me peace and yield to me without violence", as is the typical statement we that open carry wish to convey.

The line was LONG, and this lady walks away from her cash register, obviously shaken, to get the manager. She was so shook up she dident even lock her register. She FINALLY comes back 5 or more minutes later, which is more or less where the video starts up.

She returns WITHOUT the manager, obviously he said (the manager) I was doing nothing wrong and there was nothing he (the manager) could do about it. Instead, she recruited some "body guard" to protect her. I was insulted at her language, attitude and actions, and even more so she went so far as to recruit a BODY GUARD!

Does this lady think a clean cut American that is open carrying with a holster, is some kind of criminal or terrorist?

New York resident, well... that answers the missing question... where did you get this condescending attitude??

In conversation I tried to educate her, when she cut me off to correct me. I told her she was mistaken, that in Virginia we have the right to open carry and with a permit to concealed carry, and in Virginia it was a very well exercised right.

The line behind me had to wait, and wait, and wait, it was around 15 customers long.

The kind lady behind me even spoke up to issue correction to the cashier, but she (the cashier) would have none of it.

The cashier was seriously shook up, so much that she couldnt even perform her duties, she actually MISSED scanning some items, which is seen in the video.

Keeping a professional demeanor goes a long way when dealing with the uneducated public. Although Im sure I didnt change her "mind", at least I didnt look like a idiot at the conclusion of our encounter.

Open carry is a right, protected by the United States Constitution, and the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Concealed carry is on a "shall issue" rule, and also a protected right in VA.

It is your individual right AND choice to carry or not. I prefer to carry, often open and often CCW. I carry with the intent to protect myself and my family, and in the extreme
event of an emergency, the innocent that are in my presence.

Know your rights! Protect your rights!
"A right not exercised is a right that is lost!"

http://vcdl.org/
http://opencarry.org/

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Pleasant little nymph, isn't she:lol:

You did well! She did not.
Let's see now, why was it I was commenting on Northerners coming to Virginia a few threads back? She must have drifted across the Ni River after dark.:monkey

Last edited:

papa bear

EB, i notice you were at the Valley view W-M. i will have to try and get in there sometime.

i was at Salem Wednesday, and i think i shook up an asst. manager. she didn't say anything, but she did give me the stink eye :lol:.. i go into wally worlds and ask question about carry now. since i hardly ever get a rise anymore.

way to stick with it. i would have said "there now, that wasn't so bad was it"

ElevenBravo

Not of much relevance, but I should mention, this was around Dec 2011, just now getting the free time to post it.

I had never, ever had a problem at Walmart before, nor since... just this one arrogant Yankee.

Andrew

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Not of much relevance, but I should mention, this was around Dec 2011, just now getting the free time to post it.

I had never, ever had a problem at Walmart before, nor since... just this one arrogant Yankee.

Andrew

We're not supposed to say that word. It's "Northern Challenged Persons".:uhoh:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Pleasant little nymph, isn't she:lol:

You did well! She did not.
Let's see now, why was it I was commenting on Northerners coming to Virginia a few threads back? She must have drifted across the Ni River after dark.:monkey

Ya' see, this is why I keep harping on these and other forums about people coming into our state from other parts of the country and the world and not acquiescing to and adopting our culture, traditions, customs, and laws. Instead of leaving their baggage at the borders of their states, they drag in to our state and try to create what they left here in Virginia. This is a sore point with me.

WalkingWolf

Shucks you didn't give her the "if you get on the highway and drive north, you will eventually be north" speech. I just love the look on "Darn Northern Challenged persons" face when I give them directions on how to go to North.

WalkingWolf

Ya' see, this is why I keep harping on these and other forums about people coming into our state from other parts of the country and the world and not acquiescing to and adopting our culture, traditions, customs, and laws. Instead of leaving their baggage at the borders of their states, they drag in to our state and try to create what they left here in Virginia. This is a sore point with me.

Us too down here. They leave because they don't like all the rules, and the first thing they do is try to bring the rules with them.

SouthernBoy

I was checking out at the WalMart in Roanoke Virginia, The Valley View Ghetto Mart, not known for the best caliber of customers and not known as the best piece of real estate in Roanoke, when the cashier finally noticed I had a Glock 19 on my side holstered in a Blackhawk Serpa.

She ask me if I were a police officer which I replied "no". She said she didnt think I was supposed to have a gun in the store and says she has to check with the manager.

Ive carried in the same store literally hundreds of times without problems. Never a stare, except from a thug wannabe once in a while... your typical average citizen doesnt even give it a second glance.

A couple of times Ive even seen other customers performing open carry, making the statement "I will not be a victim, give me peace and yield to me without violence", as is the typical statement we that open carry wish to convey.

The line was LONG, and this lady walks away from her cash register, obviously shaken, to get the manager. She was so shook up she dident even lock her register. She FINALLY comes back 5 or more minutes later, which is more or less where the video starts up.

She returns WITHOUT the manager, obviously he said (the manager) I was doing nothing wrong and there was nothing he (the manager) could do about it. Instead, she recruited some "body guard" to protect her. I was insulted at her language, attitude and actions, and even more so she went so far as to recruit a BODY GUARD!

Does this lady think a clean cut American that is open carrying with a holster, is some kind of criminal or terrorist?

New York resident, well... that answers the missing question... where did you get this condescending attitude??

In conversation I tried to educate her, when she cut me off to correct me. I told her she was mistaken, that in Virginia we have the right to open carry and with a permit to concealed carry, and in Virginia it was a very well exercised right.

The line behind me had to wait, and wait, and wait, it was around 15 customers long.

The kind lady behind me even spoke up to issue correction to the cashier, but she (the cashier) would have none of it.

The cashier was seriously shook up, so much that she couldnt even perform her duties, she actually MISSED scanning some items, which is seen in the video.

Keeping a professional demeanor goes a long way when dealing with the uneducated public. Although Im sure I didnt change her "mind", at least I didnt look like a idiot at the conclusion of our encounter.

Open carry is a right, protected by the United States Constitution, and the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Concealed carry is on a "shall issue" rule, and also a protected right in VA.

It is your individual right AND choice to carry or not. I prefer to carry, often open and often CCW. I carry with the intent to protect myself and my family, and in the extreme
event of an emergency, the innocent that are in my presence.

Know your rights! Protect your rights!
"A right not exercised is a right that is lost!"

Couple of things.

WalMart's stated policy is to abide and adhere to the laws of the state in which their stores operate within. This woman and here management team needs to know this. Clearly she does not.

"Open carry is a right, protected by the United States Constitution, and the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Virginia."
Not quite with either document. Open carry is not mentioned in the Bill of Rights or Section 13 of the Virginia Constitution. The word "bear" is used which means to carry or keep on or about one's person. So via this word, open carry is inferred, but it is not specifically mentioned.

"Concealed carry is on a "shall issue" rule, and also a protected right in VA."
Not quite correct here, either. Concealed carry has been made into a privilege due to the fact that one must request permission from one's employees (read that as public servants) in order to do this. Were it a right, no permit, i.e. permission, would be required.

WalkingWolf

"Open carry is a right, protected by the United States Constitution, and the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Virginia."
Not quite with either document. Open carry is not mentioned in the Bill of Rights or Section 13 of the Virginia Constitution. The word "bear" is used which means to carry or keep on or about one's person. So via this word, open carry is inferred, but it is not specifically mentioned.

IMO the 2A the right to bear arms does cover open carry. When we examine the word bear and the intent of the 2A to protect from government tyranny it makes sense that government SEE that citizens are prepared to defend their rights. 2A is not and has never been about self defense, it has always been a safety valve against tyranny by government. Taken the definition and its' wide variety of use, the closet would be to bear(hold up for scrutiny). Or bear ones soul, hold up under the weight. Mostly point to ownership and display of arms. How can government know they are dealing with a armed populace if they do not see armed citizens conducting their life.

While there are many who believe that concealed carry is protected, and though I wish it was, the courts have allowed the privilege cards pretty much conveying it is a privilege. When it comes down to brass tacks, I would prefer we all have the right to open carry over CC if it came to a choice.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Hope you followed up on the whole situation...did you ever contact anyone about it? And dude, where was that camera mounted because it was moving all over the place lol

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
IMO the 2A the right to bear arms does cover open carry. When we examine the word bear and the intent of the 2A to protect from government tyranny it makes sense that government SEE that citizens are prepared to defend their rights. 2A is not and has never been about self defense, it has always been a safety valve against tyranny by government. Taken the definition and its' wide variety of use, the closet would be to bear(hold up for scrutiny). Or bear ones soul, hold up under the weight. Mostly point to ownership and display of arms. How can government know they are dealing with a armed populace if they do not see armed citizens conducting their life.

While there are many who believe that concealed carry is protected, and though I wish it was, the courts have allowed the privilege cards pretty much conveying it is a privilege. When it comes down to brass tacks, I would prefer we all have the right to open carry over CC if it came to a choice.

The more I look at some state Constitutions, the more I like them I posted this the other day and it got deleted. Don't know who did it, it couldn't have been Ed, he's not a Moderator:uhoh:...anyway:

Section 6 of the New Mexico Constitution states:
RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS
No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons. No municipality or county shall regulate, in any way, an incident of the right to keep and bear arms

That's real close to our preemption statute but as a constitutional guarantee.

ElevenBravo

1) No, I didnt contact anyone about it... I knew when she came back without the manager, what the manager told her. Probably something akin to "Get back to your register".

2) Recorded on the sly, with my then, Crackberry. No one had any idea. Not the best quality, but it *IS* on video. Nuff said on that. :)
I feel when you are recording without notice, people act there natural way. When they are aware of being recorded, they "tidy up there act".

Andrew

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
1) No, I didnt contact anyone about it... I knew when she came back without the manager, what the manager told her. Probably something akin to "Get back to your register".

2) Recorded on the sly, with my then, Crackberry. No one had any idea. Not the best quality, but it *IS* on video. Nuff said on that. :)
I feel when you are recording without notice, people act there natural way. When they are aware of being recorded, they "tidy up there act".

Andrew

Absolutely!

twoskinsonemanns

Walmart Cashier Freaks Out About Open Carry In Virginia.......

Thanks for the post friend. I don't really blame you about not seeing her boss. She obviously did not get the reaction from her boss she wanted and was forced to come back and serve you begrudgingly. She was just simply a rude...er... person. I really do wish I had time to go complain about each rude individual in each commercial establishment I went to but it would become a full time job.
Great post carry on.

scouser

.... I really do wish I had time to go complain about each rude individual in each commercial establishment I went to but it would become a full time job.
Great post carry on.

A couple of weeks ago I did. I was in the Target on US 1 across from Virginia Center with my son (Logan) who was sitting in the shopping cart. The whole time the cashier was scanning my items she was busy chatting to one of her friends. I paid cash and when she handed me my change I made a point of getting into her face and saying "HELLO !!". One of the junior management types was walking past and asked if there was a problem so I explained about how I'd been basically ignored the whole time I was checking out, so she took me over to the Guest Services desk and gave me a $10 refund on my purchases and assured me that my complaint would be dealt with.

I know it's nothing to do with open carry, I was carrying at the time but under my tshirt, but I thought I'd let you know that there can sometimes be a benefit to complaining about bad service at these stores. Mine was two-fold, I got $10 and I learned that if I'm going to Target after our RCD breakfast, go to the one on Staples Mill.

SouthernBoy

I never said that open carry was not "covered" in the Bill of Rights... only that it was never mentioned per se. However, the use of the word "bear", which I pointed out, means to keep or carry on or about the person which infers all methods of carry. Bear makes no distinction other than its definition.

Your comment, "2A is not and has never been about self defense, it has always been a safety valve against tyranny by government" is absolutely true. The issue of hunting food and defending oneself would never have come into question in the late 1700's. These were given truths, accepted by all free men. The Second Amendment's primary purpose was as a safeguard against a government gone bad, evil, despotic. The Founders, if nothing else, were students of history and as such, knew perfectly well what comes of governments when left unchecked and to their own devices. They had history on their side.

TFred

Had to LOL at the end of the video... why can't Walmart find someone to sell them cart wheels that stay round, and don't clunk,clunk,clunk as you roll them along!

This poor lady was obviously a sheeple for so long in NY she couldn't stand the thought of NOT being a sheeple in Virginia. Gotta appreciate the lady in line trying to correct her.

Has anyone come up with a great non-answer response to "are you a cop?" I don't know what the response should be, but I'm not particularly inclined to give an answer to that question. It's simply not their concern.

TFred

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Has anyone come up with a great non-answer response to "are you a cop?" I don't know what the response should be, but I'm not particularly inclined to give an answer to that question. It's simply not their concern.

TFred

"are you a cop?"
"No"

I like to keep it simple.:rolleyes: