Thread: Cops respond to OC with long guns

Cops respond to OC with long guns

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Absolutely absurd over reaction to legal condition with no PC or RAS.

None of the conditions of 29.29.21 were met; therefore it would seem the stop and demand for ID was extra-legal.
    http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t29c29.pdf
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

It is interesting to me that none f these people even seem to consider, criminals NEVER let you know they are armed until they want to use their weapon. Criminals hide their weapons, they do not open carry.

There is an interesting comment from LE on a thread on the Oregin forum...that cop does unerstand the basic principle...It is the thread about Ceasefire's gun buy being crashed by citizen gun buyers.

From the linked New article: (Sessions is a LEO assisting ceasefire)

"Sessions dismissed the possibility that the sidewalk buyers would then sell to "undesirables. That's not the case. These people know what they're doing, They know the laws. They know they'd lose that right if they did sell to the undesirables."

Equally unlikely, said Sessions, who assisted the foundation with its guns buyback for nine years, is the notion that gang members would be among those turning in guns.

"They really would like to see the gangs turn in the guns," Sessions said. "And I tell them, 'Keep wishing that.' But it's not going to happen."

Gang members, first of all, want to hold onto their guns because "a gun means power. And two, they see us, the police, and they say 'We don't want to be caught with a gun.'"

Full news article here: http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index...s_crash_f.html

That's absolutely horrible.

I read through the GD posting on ARFCOM. Did anything come from this? Anything in the GF Herald?

I don't agree with frivolous lawsuits, but the police can't just trample all over a persons rights like that. I know its still early on and you might not be able to discuss much, but is anything planned? Lawsuit or otherwise? I know in the past some pro-2A groups have funded things like that.

Listening to the audio from the guy in Philly last year was really troubling, but to have it happen so close to home makes me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_ View Post
    I don't agree with frivolous lawsuits, but the police can't just trample all over a persons rights like that. I know its still early on and you might not be able to discuss much, but is anything planned? Lawsuit or otherwise? I know in the past some pro-2A groups have funded things like that.
    Technically, the police in ND may request your permit and you must show it. At that point, absent other factors, the encounter should be over.
    Of course, I rarely hear of a OC encounter that did not involve unsolicited opinions and a lie or two from a police officer, and this one is no exception. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, Mr. Officer.

Well, that went from "It's illegal to open carry" to "here is your gun back, have a nice day" pretty fast.

"Kids, people get upset .... whoopie-do! I did not make them upset ... their own irrational fear did -- you should send them to a psych hospital ... I cannot make anyone feel anything, only the individual can control their emotions" would have been my reply

its legal, so piss off ...

"why not conceal?" .... why dont you conceal then? would have been my response...

"its scares people"... really, you can read people's minds, are you a Jedi?

I would be at city hall in ten seconds tearing the chief a new one out about these cops...

I'd personally file a public records request for all police service calls in the half hour proceeding this incident. While its always possible the officer is just ignorant (which this one was) the fact that three officers with one deploying a patrol rifle would indicate a call for service was made. Making it possible a citizen called and lied about the nature of the open carry. Hear those sirens before they contacted him? They were running code, probably got a call. I'd find out which concerned citizen called him in and what they said. If a 911 caller lied about the OCer and said he was menacing or whatever that might be something to look into
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    It is interesting to me that none f these people even seem to consider, criminals NEVER let you know they are armed until they want to use their weapon. Criminals hide their weapons, they do not open carry.

There is an interesting comment from LE on a thread on the Oregin forum...that cop does unerstand the basic principle...It is the thread about Ceasefire's gun buy being crashed by citizen gun buyers.

From the linked New article: (Sessions is a LEO assisting ceasefire)

"Sessions dismissed the possibility that the sidewalk buyers would then sell to "undesirables. That's not the case. These people know what they're doing, They know the laws. They know they'd lose that right if they did sell to the undesirables."

Equally unlikely, said Sessions, who assisted the foundation with its guns buyback for nine years, is the notion that gang members would be among those turning in guns.

"They really would like to see the gangs turn in the guns," Sessions said. "And I tell them, 'Keep wishing that.' But it's not going to happen."

Gang members, first of all, want to hold onto their guns because "a gun means power. And two, they see us, the police, and they say 'We don't want to be caught with a gun.'"

Full news article here: http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index...s_crash_f.html

You can see video of the buyback being "crashed" here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvFF91mZSG4
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.