• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRS 202.265 Now this IS funny

Lasjayhawk

Is there a definition of dangerous weapon in the NRS I'm not seeing? There isn't one in NRS 202.253.

NRS 202.265 Possession of dangerous weapon on property or in vehicle of school or child care facility; penalty; exceptions.

1. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not carry or possess while on the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, a private or public school or child care facility, or while in a vehicle of a private or public school or child care facility:
(a) An explosive or incendiary device;
(b) A dirk, dagger or switchblade knife;
(c) A nunchaku or trefoil;
(d) A blackjack or billy club or metal knuckles;
(e) A pistol, revolver or other firearm; or
(f) Any device used to mark any part of a person with paint or any other substance.
2. Any person who violates subsection 1 is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

Seems like (f) would include more than just paintball guns. I'm thinking lipstick and fingernail polish! :p

varminter22

Seems to me the definition is contained therein.
(f) Any device used to mark any part of a person with paint or any other substance.

usmcmustang

Is there a definition of dangerous weapon in the NRS I'm not seeing? There isn't one in NRS 202.253.

NRS 202.265 Possession of dangerous weapon on property or in vehicle of school or child care facility; penalty; exceptions.

1. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not carry or possess while on the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, a private or public school or child care facility, or while in a vehicle of a private or public school or child care facility:
2. Any person who violates subsection 1 is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

Seems like (f) would include more than just paintball guns. I'm thinking lipstick and fingernail polish! :p

NRS 193.165
(b) Any weapon, device, instrument, material or substance which, under the circumstances in which it is used, attempted to be used or threatened to be used, is readily capable of causing substantial bodily harm or death; or (c) A dangerous or deadly weapon specifically described in NRS 202.255, 202.265, 202.290, 202.320 or 202.350.

Lasjayhawk

does that count? The "as used in this section" makes me wonder by section do they mean Title 15 or chapter 193 or just 193.165?

usmcmustang

does that count? The "as used in this section" makes me wonder by section do they mean Title 15 or chapter 193 or just 193.165?

The NRS, like all "legislation," (local, state, federal) is written by, for, and intended to be interpreted by lawyers. That's why they call is "LEGislation." If it were written by, for, and intended to be interpreted by THE PEOPLE (you know, us "illiterates"), then being able to determine what a "dangerous and/or deadly weapon" IS might not be so hard to find/interpret. So... go hire a lawyer... $$$$ (that's what it is all about) and have him/her provide a "legal" definition... that may or may not be just as good as one you come up with yourself. Oh, did I say $$$$...

Last edited:

Rollbar

Does this also apply to a person w/a CCW?

Does a CCW allow one to carry a blackjack or billy club or metal knuckles;?

FallonJeeper

Does this also apply to a person w/a CCW?

Does a CCW allow one to carry a blackjack or billy club or metal knuckles;?

CCW only get's you in the 1000' Federal Gun Free School Zone.

CCW does not cover black jack, billy club, or metal knuckles. You'd have to qualify. Your CCW lists authorized weapons. Mine says:

MAKE Model/Caliber
SEMI AUTO ALL/ALL

Rollbar

That's what I thought Jim (Make/Model/Caliber etc)-I guess I was reading into it.

Rollbar

My daughter bought one (billy club/extendable one) at the gun show & I told her not to carry it.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
NRS 202.265 still applies even if you have a Concealed Firearm Permit. You still cannot have a firearm on campus.

As for other weapons and outside of the University system...

1. Except as otherwise provided in this section and NRS 202.355 and 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, a person within this State shall not:
(a) Manufacture or cause to be manufactured, or import into the State, or keep, offer or expose for sale, or give, lend or possess any knife which is made an integral part of a belt buckle or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a switchblade knife, blackjack, slungshot, billy, sand-club, sandbag or metal knuckles ;
(d) Carry concealed upon his or her person any:
(1) Explosive substance, other than ammunition or any components thereof;
(2) Dirk, dagger or machete;
(3) Pistol, revolver or other firearm, or other dangerous or deadly weapon; or
(4) Knife which is made an integral part of a belt buckle.
(Emphasis added)

Nevada laws for weapons other than firearms are very stringent. Not only does the CFP not permit you to carry a blackjack or a billy or metal knuckles, but merely POSSESSING one of these is illegal in the state.

They do sell Lexan knuckles, which are plastic knuckles and pretty much equally as dangerous as metal knuckles, but they are legal to possess in Nevada. Still, you cannot conceal any dangerous or deadly weapon without a permit from the sheriff without writing to the sheriff for a permit. And probably, he wouldn't issue one.

NRS 202.350 allows the sheriff to issue a permit to carry weapons other than a switchblade knife or a firearm, but does not require the sheriff to approve of one.

3. Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, the sheriff of any county may, upon written application by a resident of that county showing the reason or the purpose for which a concealed weapon is to be carried, issue a permit authorizing the applicant to carry in this State the concealed weapon described in the permit. The sheriff shall not issue a permit to a person to carry a switchblade knife. This subsection does not authorize the sheriff to issue a permit to a person to carry a pistol, revolver or other firearm.

Other sections in NRS 202 require the sheriff to issue a permit to carry a semi-automatic firearm or revolver if the applicant meets the requirements.

NRS 202.366 (Pertaining to firearm permits only)
The sheriff shall issue a permit to the applicant unless the applicant is not qualified to possess a handgun pursuant to state or federal law or is not otherwise qualified to obtain a permit pursuant to NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, or the regulations adopted pursuant thereto.

Last edited:

Rollbar

I'll have to see if she got a card from the seller at the gun show and go from there. So IF she reports the seller then she is breaking the law by having one :shocker: and trying to do the right thing. :banghead:

Rollbar

I'll have to see if she got a card from the seller at the gun show and go from there. So IF she reports the seller then she is breaking the law by having one :shocker: and trying to do the right thing. :banghead:

Well, no business card/phone etc.

Thank you for the help,

mbogo470

Damn! I can't carry my trefoil?!?! :cuss:

My flail is so damned heavy, but it'll have to do.

mbogo