Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta92fslady = Accidentally Negligent...

Beretta92fslady = Accidentally Negligent...

...So, today, the wife, and me went to pick three of our kids up from camp. (They were gone all week). I carry my camera with me, in a backpack, and happen to be carrying my Beretta 92FS with me, in my backpack. I hand the wife my backpack, and start snapping photos of the kids. The wife puts the backpack down next to me, to take. We are hugging, and kissing the kids, welcoming them back, caught up in the moment.--it's tough having the kids gone for so long, when you see them every day of their lives, and you are used to them being with you nearly all of the time. Then we leave.

We get home, and I go to grab my backpack...OMFG! I left the damn backpack where we had picked the kids up. I hurry back to where I left it, thinking to myself: Someone opened the damn thing to see who it belongs to, and the police are going to be there when I arrive. Well, I arrived, and there were no police, went into the room that I left it in, and it was sitting right where I had left it.

Just thought I would share my accidentally negligent bone-head moment with everyone. Ladies, and gentlemen, if you happen to be carrying any place other than on your immediate person, keep track of your crapola, and you sidearm.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

You got away with one! Glad the police didn't get involved and everything turned out okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Ladies, and gentlemen, if you happen to be carrying any place other than on your immediate person, keep track of your crapola, and you sidearm.
    Duh....

Glad no one called in a SWAT team!
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

That is one of the main reasons I do not recommend off person carry.

It is way to easy to leave it behind. Not only to have a chance of losing it you have a chance of not having it on you when you most need it.

Even when I carry in a fanny pack I very careful to make sure I place it some place I can't forget it when using the rest room or some other place I need to take it off.

I allways double and tribble check to make sure I haven't left it.

That's my biggest fear. That I'm going to sit my purse down somewhere and forget it or that I'm going to hang my bag on the back of a restroom door and leave my purse there.

I actually thought I had left my gun somewhere once. I think my heart actually stopped for a few moments.

==========================================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing
    =============================

So would you guys be a fan of a fingerprint system for handguns, like the one shown in the new James Bond preview? One that will only allow the trigger to be pulled if the shooters fingerprints match what it has stored? Not sure how realistic it is, but I'd love to have that on my carry gun.
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by MainelyGlock View Post
    So would you guys be a fan of a fingerprint system for handguns, like the one shown in the new James Bond preview? One that will only allow the trigger to be pulled if the shooters fingerprints match what it has stored? Not sure how realistic it is, but I'd love to have that on my carry gun.
    Nope. I want spouse to be able to grab mine if I can't and he needs a second, and vice versa.

Beretta92fslady - glad to hear it ended well. I'm at least as scared of a child finding and opening a backpack/purse as I am of police finding it.

That said, have you all seen the CamelBak(TM) Demon model? It has a separate pocket with a holster, less likely to be found by someone looking for the pack for an owner's name.

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post

I allways double and tribble check to make sure I haven't left it.

So you're a Star Trek fan. That is the one title people remember most "Trouble With Tribbles"
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Close call!

Glad it all turned out well.....especially no SWAT Team!

I will neither confirm or deny my bonehead moves!!
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

So would you guys be a fan of a fingerprint system for handguns, like the one shown in the new James Bond preview?
    Definitely not. The less things to screw up on a firearm the better. How often do you have to "restart" a firearm to make it continue to work? How often do you have to restart most electronics? Also, I am 100% sure that my Smith and Wesson is more durable than even a Nokia, the pinnacle of electronic durability. If you get some company like Motorola to make it, it will be busted in a week if you don't baby it.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-gal View Post
    That's my biggest fear. That I'm going to sit my purse down somewhere and forget it or that I'm going to hang my bag on the back of a restroom door and leave my purse there.

I actually thought I had left my gun somewhere once. I think my heart actually stopped for a few moments.

I think that the incident I had today has actually forced me to acknowledge how not-practical my primary carry has become. I think I may switch to a Glock 19, and carry my Beretta 92fs occasionally.--as I stated, it has been an issue this past year (I have been carrying my Beretta for about three years).
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    [snippers

Beretta92fslady - glad to hear it ended well. I'm at least as scared of a child finding and opening a backpack/purse as I am of police finding it.
    Driving back to the location, I was more scared of a child opening my backpack, police were secondary. The primary reason is that most children are not educated sufficiently in how to deal with a found firearm.

That said, have you all seen the CamelBak(TM) Demon model? It has a separate pocket with a holster, less likely to be found by someone looking for the pack for an owner's name.
    I haven't heard of it, but I will look into it. I used to carry in my purse, that is, when I would carry a purse, but most of the time I carry my camera with me, so I carry a backpack.
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 08-18-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    Close call!

Glad it all turned out well.....especially no SWAT Team!

I will neither confirm or deny my bonehead moves!!
    I figured no other person would fess-up; I just figured that I should share a major bonehead move on my part. I still can't believe I left the damn thing behind--you never leave a man behind!

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    Nope. I want spouse to be able to grab mine if I can't and he needs a second, and vice versa.
    Ditto what Tess said - except for the DH part. I don't want a criminal to use my gun but I do want to be able to just hand my gun to someone and let them be able to use it.

Thanks for the referral of the CamelBak. I've been looking for a good CC pack for upcoming my hiking trips.

It appears the camelbak is discontinued. I may be wrong about this.

It appears the camelbak is discontinued. I may be wrong about this.
    I'm noticing the same thing

I figured no other person would fess-up; I just figured that I should share a major bonehead move on my part. I still can't believe I left the damn thing behind--you never leave a man behind!
    Actually, there was that post about "the drowned terrorist". I'll not say any more than that as the full details were never put on line. The person who did it is one of the last that anyone would expect to do what they did.

Which, I suppose, goes to show that even the best of us can become distracted, which means that there is a chance of not picking up something that you put down. I'd rather someone carried an itty-bitty .380 that they can keep from possibly going astray that having a hog-leg that they need to dig for in some implement that does not require actual conscious thought in order to be left behind. But that's just me.

Glad everything turned out OK.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

...So, today, the wife, and me ...
    what the hell does the gender of your significant other make ?

;-)

You should have seen that coming.

Glad all turned out well. I have had scares where I wasn't sure if I had lost or left my gun in the wrong place. Mine have been momentary, so I can't imagine your fright at actually leaving it behind. I'm dealing with the question about how to carry when on the belt isn't an option (concealed only here in Texas).

Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    what the hell does the gender of your significant other make ?

;-)

You should have seen that coming.

Glad all turned out well. I have had scares where I wasn't sure if I had lost or left my gun in the wrong place. Mine have been momentary, so I can't imagine your fright at actually leaving it behind. I'm dealing with the question about how to carry when on the belt isn't an option (concealed only here in Texas).
    LMAO!

I was freaking the whole way back.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Hell no.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Nope, cause if my gun's battery dies, I die.

Driving back to the location, I was more scared of a child opening my backpack, police were secondary. The primary reason is that most children are not educated sufficiently in how to deal with a found firearm.
    That is a crying shame. Even if you are a strictly no gun person, you should still teach your kids what to do if they encounter something like that. Knowledge is always the best way to keep a kid safe(r) as you cannot protect them 100% all their life.

Beretta, you made a mistake that could have potentially went very bad, but you learned from it. If you never do this again then I say you did good.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Sounds like interesting technology. I'd prolly buy one to play with. Wouldn't trust it to be a SD,HD tool. But I like technology. I also wouldn't support it being mandatory.
    Last edited by twoskinsonemanns; 08-19-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: would to wouldn't
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    That is a crying shame. Even if you are a strictly no gun person, you should still teach your kids what to do if they encounter something like that. Knowledge is always the best way to keep a kid safe(r) as you cannot protect them 100% all their life.

Beretta, you made a mistake that could have potentially went very bad, but you learned from it. If you never do this again then I say you did good.
    Also teaching your children to not go through other people's belongings would help too.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Also teaching your children to not go through other people's belongings would help too.
    Yes I like this one much better.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast