• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Beretta92fslady = Accidentally Negligent...

Beretta92FSLady

...So, today, the wife, and me went to pick three of our kids up from camp. (They were gone all week). I carry my camera with me, in a backpack, and happen to be carrying my Beretta 92FS with me, in my backpack. I hand the wife my backpack, and start snapping photos of the kids. The wife puts the backpack down next to me, to take. We are hugging, and kissing the kids, welcoming them back, caught up in the moment.--it's tough having the kids gone for so long, when you see them every day of their lives, and you are used to them being with you nearly all of the time. Then we leave.

We get home, and I go to grab my backpack...OMFG! I left the damn backpack where we had picked the kids up. I hurry back to where I left it, thinking to myself: Someone opened the damn thing to see who it belongs to, and the police are going to be there when I arrive. Well, I arrived, and there were no police, went into the room that I left it in, and it was sitting right where I had left it.

Just thought I would share my accidentally negligent bone-head moment with everyone. Ladies, and gentlemen, if you happen to be carrying any place other than on your immediate person, keep track of your crapola, and you sidearm.

Firearms Iinstuctor

That is one of the main reasons I do not recommend off person carry.

It is way to easy to leave it behind. Not only to have a chance of losing it you have a chance of not having it on you when you most need it.

Even when I carry in a fanny pack I very careful to make sure I place it some place I can't forget it when using the rest room or some other place I need to take it off.

I allways double and tribble check to make sure I haven't left it.

Steeler-gal

That's my biggest fear. That I'm going to sit my purse down somewhere and forget it or that I'm going to hang my bag on the back of a restroom door and leave my purse there.

I actually thought I had left my gun somewhere once. I think my heart actually stopped for a few moments.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

MainelyGlock

So would you guys be a fan of a fingerprint system for handguns, like the one shown in the new James Bond preview? :D One that will only allow the trigger to be pulled if the shooters fingerprints match what it has stored? Not sure how realistic it is, but I'd love to have that on my carry gun.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
So would you guys be a fan of a fingerprint system for handguns, like the one shown in the new James Bond preview? :D One that will only allow the trigger to be pulled if the shooters fingerprints match what it has stored? Not sure how realistic it is, but I'd love to have that on my carry gun.

Nope. I want spouse to be able to grab mine if I can't and he needs a second, and vice versa.

Beretta92fslady - glad to hear it ended well. I'm at least as scared of a child finding and opening a backpack/purse as I am of police finding it.

That said, have you all seen the CamelBak(TM) Demon model? It has a separate pocket with a holster, less likely to be found by someone looking for the pack for an owner's name.

Redbaron007

Close call!

Glad it all turned out well.....especially no SWAT Team! :lol:

I will neither confirm or deny my bonehead moves!! :lol: :lol:

09jisaac

So would you guys be a fan of a fingerprint system for handguns, like the one shown in the new James Bond preview?

Definitely not. The less things to screw up on a firearm the better. How often do you have to "restart" a firearm to make it continue to work? How often do you have to restart most electronics? Also, I am 100% sure that my Smith and Wesson is more durable than even a Nokia, the pinnacle of electronic durability. If you get some company like Motorola to make it, it will be busted in a week if you don't baby it.

Beretta92FSLady

That's my biggest fear. That I'm going to sit my purse down somewhere and forget it or that I'm going to hang my bag on the back of a restroom door and leave my purse there.

I actually thought I had left my gun somewhere once. I think my heart actually stopped for a few moments.

I think that the incident I had today has actually forced me to acknowledge how not-practical my primary carry has become. I think I may switch to a Glock 19, and carry my Beretta 92fs occasionally.--as I stated, it has been an issue this past year (I have been carrying my Beretta for about three years).

Beretta92FSLady

[snippers

Beretta92fslady - glad to hear it ended well. I'm at least as scared of a child finding and opening a backpack/purse as I am of police finding it.

Driving back to the location, I was more scared of a child opening my backpack, police were secondary. The primary reason is that most children are not educated sufficiently in how to deal with a found firearm.

That said, have you all seen the CamelBak(TM) Demon model? It has a separate pocket with a holster, less likely to be found by someone looking for the pack for an owner's name.

I haven't heard of it, but I will look into it. I used to carry in my purse, that is, when I would carry a purse, but most of the time I carry my camera with me, so I carry a backpack.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

Close call!

Glad it all turned out well.....especially no SWAT Team! :lol:

I will neither confirm or deny my bonehead moves!! :lol: :lol:

I figured no other person would fess-up; I just figured that I should share a major bonehead move on my part. I still can't believe I left the damn thing behind--you never leave a man behind!

Steeler-gal

Nope. I want spouse to be able to grab mine if I can't and he needs a second, and vice versa.

Ditto what Tess said - except for the DH part. :) I don't want a criminal to use my gun but I do want to be able to just hand my gun to someone and let them be able to use it.

Thanks for the referral of the CamelBak. I've been looking for a good CC pack for upcoming my hiking trips.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I figured no other person would fess-up; I just figured that I should share a major bonehead move on my part. I still can't believe I left the damn thing behind--you never leave a man behind!

Actually, there was that post about "the drowned terrorist". I'll not say any more than that as the full details were never put on line. The person who did it is one of the last that anyone would expect to do what they did.

Which, I suppose, goes to show that even the best of us can become distracted, which means that there is a chance of not picking up something that you put down. I'd rather someone carried an itty-bitty .380 that they can keep from possibly going astray that having a hog-leg that they need to dig for in some implement that does not require actual conscious thought in order to be left behind. But that's just me.

Glad everything turned out OK.

stay safe.

nonameisgood

...So, today, the wife, and me ...

what the hell does the gender of your significant other make ?

;-)

You should have seen that coming.

Glad all turned out well. I have had scares where I wasn't sure if I had lost or left my gun in the wrong place. Mine have been momentary, so I can't imagine your fright at actually leaving it behind. I'm dealing with the question about how to carry when on the belt isn't an option (concealed only here in Texas).

Beretta92FSLady

what the hell does the gender of your significant other make ?

;-)

You should have seen that coming.

Glad all turned out well. I have had scares where I wasn't sure if I had lost or left my gun in the wrong place. Mine have been momentary, so I can't imagine your fright at actually leaving it behind. I'm dealing with the question about how to carry when on the belt isn't an option (concealed only here in Texas).

LMAO!:p

I was freaking the whole way back.